• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

Yeah my Tursas are a notch up from the Comet, the Hex is a equivalent to a broken in Buzzz kinda or a notch or two up from a tursas. Depends on your Tursas I guess.

I have been trying to figure out a Hex line on Clark's Run hole 7, which is 297', tight, and slightly downhill. The drive needs to bend gently right most of the way and then finish with a late fade. I used to throw standstill with a Neutron Insanity, which holds that line beautifully (if I do my part). The problem is that sometimes hitting the line with an Insanity means buzzing chains and ending up 40' long into the rough.

Wombat3 holds the line beautifully, too, but it does not fade late, and I was never able to hit the line consistently with a Truth (Hex replaced Truth).

Today I finally figured out how to play this hole with a Hex. Threw the Hex flat and nose down at the left guardian tree. Hex turned gently and then straightened out before the right guardian tree, pured the late gap, and ended up under the basket.

Once. :rolleyes:

Now I just need to see if I can hit that line consistently. But distance with the Hex is perfect for the hole, so that's a start.

Have I mentioned lately that I really like the Hex? :thmbup:

I'm at a bit of a crossroads myself. I like the Hex enough to give them a shake as a Buzzz replacement. I like that they are a little faster/longer. The Eclipse Reactor has usurped the "new Buzzz" slot and likely won't be unseated (it also excels FH). The issue is picking a Hex for the straight slot, and then pairing something less stable with it for the final mid position. A 178 N Hex is almost a little too HSS. The 172s start just right (v straight) but wear quickly into having turn. Giving some serious thought to trying a lighter Reactor and moving the Hex to the US slot. Need more practice time, is all. Good disc, for sure.

I impulse bought a 173g Hex and played with it on a big pro-level bomber course on Sunday. I'm a mid-loving Buzzz enthusiast, but I was curious about the ergonomics of the Hex and whether it was more neutral and longer than my hive. For context, I've been playing often for almost a year and gotten pretty comfortable throwing putters and mids, and am still developing my driver game (bomber gurus, please check out my form critique request thread, I need your help!).

My friend and I only tried a few shots with the Hex, but it is easy to love this disc.

I think of the Buzzz as a midrange Clydesdale: it's big, not the fastest/glidiest, and a little chunky but keeps reliably going through a beating and gets the job done.

To me, the Hex seems like a "next generation" Buzzz. It feels smooth, sleek, and slightly streamlined in size and ergonomics compared to its rugged Discraft counterpart.

The Hex is slightly more understable than my Buzzzes, but we played on a moderately windy day and the Hex didn't seem inclined to turn over easily. It had that reliable Buzzz-like flight in an upshot role. I tend to use mids the most in the 240-280' range on the course, and the Hex was great at those shots. It scales well over a range of distances.

I remember one upshot in particular that defines the Hex to me. On a Par 4, I had a rare close-to-ideal 320' teeshot around a dogleg, setting up ~260' to the pin. The line to the basket was open except for a moderately wooded alcove of guardian trees ~30' all around the basket, with a tight gap. There was OB on the right until the alcove. The left side was densely wooded and a guaranteed bogey or double bogey on a misfire. With the wind, I had a hunch that I could try to shoot slightly right of the gap, and either the Hex would fade in to the pin, or have a decent shot at staying in the circle by crashing the trees if it went a bit right (no OB risk at pin height). If it turned in a headwind gust, it would be OB death at a very bad angle. At my skill level, I wouldn't trust myself with many discs with that shot.

Instant love - I threw a bit to the right of my intended line. But the Hex took the slight headwind fine, and had a nice Buzzz-like hook at the end, but with slightly less effort to get the distance. And it just felt great to throw. It landed pin high just within the circle (of course, I missed the putt! back to the practice basket...)

Time will tell, but the Hex might become my general use mid, relegating my max weight Buzzzes to slightly beefier throws.

^great review, and I agree. Hex kicked out my B's on rim shape alone, just like the feel of it, and feel much more comfy on FH with Hex.

Finally got to play a round with my new Hexes in the bag. I absolutely love these things. Exactly what I wanted and more. I wanted to replace my worn, oop, plasma Axis with something a touch longer. Definitely fits the bill. Threw these things all over the course. Nice flat lasers, touchy annys In the woods, stock bh spike hyzers, some remarkably good (by my standards) fh throws. Even a fantastic get out of jail, low ceiling thumber. This thing did it all. Nearly had a 260' throw in after a shanked drive.

Absolutely in love!

My wife and I just played 9 holes, then did a little "upshot catch" back and forth with her Electon Soft Envy at about 100-130 feet.

After ten minutes of this I suggested with try it with our Hexes. Parked everything at each others feet. Just felt so clean coming out of the hand.

I think they baked a bit of miracle dust or something into this disc.

I'm inclined to agree with the general Hex adoration. Unquestionably the best effort from MVP thus far (honorable mention Reactor). Is there a speculation afoot, or perhaps a tester that could speak to the Uplink, supposedly US mid that is forthcoming? The reviews of the Paradox are less than glowing for my needs. While I haven't held one, the rim also looks small. Neither the Tangent or Vertex have any real carry compared to a conventional speed mid design. Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience or knowledge.

I'm inclined to agree with the general Hex adoration. Unquestionably the best effort from MVP thus far (honorable mention Reactor). Is there a speculation afoot, or perhaps a tester that could speak to the Uplink, supposedly US mid that is forthcoming? The reviews of the Paradox are less than glowing for my needs. While I haven't held one, the rim also looks small. Neither the Tangent or Vertex have any real carry compared to a conventional speed mid design. Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience or knowledge.

There are some YouTube videos featuring the uplink. It's not quite as understable as the paradox and has a bit more comeback at the end of flight. I have the paradox and it's definitely growing on me. It can be a bit too understable in certain situations but it's so smooth when thrown right. I'd like to try the uplink when it comes out as a comparison but the paradox is definitely worth trying.

I'm inclined to agree with the general Hex adoration. Unquestionably the best effort from MVP thus far (honorable mention Reactor).

More Hex stories from this evening. Clark's Run hole 17, a short but technical dogleg right par 4. Drive is good but lands too high on the hill, leaving an extreme hyzer to the basket. Normally I would be happy to get there with a *TL (fairway driver) but instead I try the Hex. Hit the line and the freaking Hex goes long.

Also used the Hex for a sweet FH roller approach from the rough on hole 8, saving par, and for a tricky sidearm skip (again from the rough) to save par on hole 7.

Did I mention that I really dig the Hex?

And, um, probably the first times I have ever been in the rough at Clark's Run? :rolleyes:

Is there a speculation afoot, or perhaps a tester that could speak to the Uplink, supposedly US mid that is forthcoming?

I am also interested to hear about the Uplink.

You know I'm still curious, I was playing Comet and Spin tonight with a pilot, I am totally in on a paradox. I haven't thrown one yet, I wouldn't be hitting max distance and I could have fun with something that holds a turn better than a Comet or a Spin. Luckily we rarely have wind so I'm looking forward to trying one. The neutron spin is 2.5 4 -2 0.. It still fades, and it shoots cool tunnels with zero fade. I could totally go for some flippy fun for my nightly rounds.

Hex is legit. Fills a lotta slots, stable fh to a touch fh or power BH..

*nothing against the spin, got a new R2 174g (****-er) but I have a permanent bag slot for my 165 pfn sparkle proton... touch galore! Super sexy disc.

Got an uplink coming in the gyropalooza box...

Last edited:
You know I'm still curious, I was playing Comet and Spin tonight with a pilot, I am totally in on a paradox. I haven't thrown one yet, I wouldn't be hitting max distance and I could have fun with something that holds a turn better than a Comet or a Spin. Luckily we rarely have wind so I'm looking forward to trying one. The neutron spin is 2.5 4 -2 0.. It still fades, and it shoots cool tunnels with zero fade. I could totally go for some flippy fun for my nightly rounds.

Hex is legit. Fills a lotta slots, stable fh to a touch fh or power BH..

*nothing against the spin, got a new R2 174g (****-er) but I have a permanent bag slot for my 165 pfn sparkle proton... touch galore! Super sexy disc.

Got an uplink coming in the gyropalooza box...

I went out to a short course today with the hex and paradox only. You will have exactly what you want with the Paradox. Thrown hard, medium, or soft it flips up from a hyzer and usually continues to the right unless it's a downhill shot or a lot of air under the disc. I tried to rip it on one uphill to the right hole and I threw it flat so it almost turned into a roller. Aside from that I am really loving the paradox for lower powered glidey hyzer flips in the woods, and touchy upshots that don't require something OS.

The hex, in contrast seems to just lock on a line. It can scale down in power well but gains more fade as the power gets lower. I through some nice hyzer/anhyzer flights and it holds those lines when given the right amount of power. Both mids feel very similar in the hand and both just function exactly how you'd want them too. I still want to try the uplink but I think the 0 fade of the paradox may actually give me a bit more diverse shot range. As soon as I can get my hands on an uplink I will try that out too.

I've seen some Eclipse Hex's pop up from mystery boxes (I think). Will they eventually release a stock eclipse version of the hex? I'm not that familiar with the MVP/Axiom releases.

I've seen some Eclipse Hex's pop up from mystery boxes (I think). Will they eventually release a stock eclipse version of the hex? I'm not that familiar with the MVP/Axiom releases.

I'd expect it will probably be released next fall. The most recent email detailed a stock exlipse proxy and several people got L2 exlipse proxy's in their box. Based on that, it's likely they were testing some eclipse hex's as well for a future stock release.

I hope I get to hear other experiences.

Why did I even land on this mid? So weird to me.

I met a disc golf bro at my fieldwork park and let him cast a few Hexes. He had a consistent stroke, but even so, his first two throws the discs landed on top of each other.

Idk, something about this disc. I feel like I'm kind of a weirdo for latching onto it.

A weirdo who thinks he'll have good scores when he throws it, but still...

No one else in love with it?

I wish I had more shots where I could throw it, local courses don't favor it as a shot off the teepad for as many holes as I'd like. When I do throw it, I think I should throw it more.

I've been away from DGCR for awhile, but I just got done reading this entire thread. You're definitely not alone in your love for the Hex, if you still love it as much as you did.

I had completely dropped mids from my bag for the last few years in favor of just the Envy and Proxy, but decided to give the Hex a shot when I found a gorgeous swirly grey one. It kicked the Proxy out of my bag, and has tempted me to kick the Crave out as well. How does one disc act so versatile?

It's crazy how good it is though. My home course has a hole, probably 230' but with a tree right in the way making you have to throw up and over it, or a tight laser under it, that I used to throw the Proxy on a sky anny. I had parked several shots with the Proxy on that hole, but had to give it a lot of height, and sometimes it got too affected by the wind, stalled out, or just wasn't that consistent all the time. Took a Hex out, threw the same anny, but on a lower line, parked within 10'. Next round, parked within 5'. Next round, through the chains and 5' past the basket.

Another hole on the same course, very low ceiling, also around 230', I usually throw the Crave very low, and let it skip up to the basket. First throw with the Hex, with just a little more height, landed under the basket.

There's only one hole on that course, where the ceiling is just entirely too low, that I still throw the Crave on. The Hex has taken the rest of the Crave shots there. I can play the entire course with just my Wrath, Hex, and Envy, and kill it, using my Wrath for the 300'+ holes and the one Crave shot. (The entire course is very low ceiling with the exception of 2 400' holes)

There's another local course that is tightly wooded, has a 260' hole that I used to throw my Crave on, first throw with the Hex, sailed right over the top of the basket. I've also repeatedly parked a 250-280, hole with the Hex at that course as well.

I think you said somewhere in this thread, the Hex is the kind of disc you don't even think about when you throw it. You just step up and throw and it works its magic. I 100% agree. Or, if you didn't say that, I 100% agree with myself for just now saying it.

I can definitely see this as a great 1 disc round disc, maybe even better than my Envy. For normal rounds, I still want my Wrath and Crave from time to time, but the Hex has taken a lot of shots I didn't expect it to.

... I can definitely see this as a great 1 disc round disc, maybe even better than my Envy. For normal rounds, I still want my Wrath and Crave from time to time, but the Hex has taken a lot of shots I didn't expect it to.

Ah, damnit. Just when I thought I was back to the Buzzz for this slot, you convinced me to take the Hex out for a spin this weekend.

I second it as a one disc option, putts pretty decent. :D

The thing I like is its ability to hold a fairly straight flight and still be usable and turnable. Very flexible disc. Monocacy coined it a longer Envy. Between the decent short game, it's long game that's fairway distance and it's ability to handle power FH or BH if I got stuck playing with just a hex I'd probably do alright.

Ah, damnit. Just when I thought I was back to the Buzzz for this slot, you convinced me to take the Hex out for a spin this weekend.

Did you take it out for a 1 disc round? And if so, how'd you do?

I second it as a one disc option, putts pretty decent. :D

The thing I like is its ability to hold a fairly straight flight and still be usable and turnable. Very flexible disc. Monocacy coined it a longer Envy. Between the decent short game, it's long game that's fairway distance and it's ability to handle power FH or BH if I got stuck playing with just a hex I'd probably do alright.

I suppose I can see the comparison from an It can do pretty much anything standpoint, but the stability is definitely not the same as the Envy. Granted, it's more stable than my beat to snot Area 51 Envy, but that's really just my putting putter at this point. I use an Eclipse 1.0 Envy as my slightly OS approach disc in favor of the Hex, and the Hex for pretty much everything else that I used to throw the Envy and Proxy for. (not to mention several Crave shots)

I will say, the only discs the Hex can't do a decent job of impersonating in my bag are my Wrath and Resistor. So yeah, it's pretty amazing overall.

The more I read about the Hex the more it sounds similar to the Squall.