• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

All this chatter about how good the Hex is has made me order one and a JC Nomad (pre-order) snuck into my cart as well.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's quite neutral, if neutral is a *strong* compliment. I've not thrown a Mako, but I've not thrown another midrange that's quite comparable.

ive kinda been going back and forth with my mids, mako3 when i started, warship, method, origin, kaxe (z).

thing about the hex it seems smaller thant the mako, warship or method, and it seems straighter than all but the mako3, but the mako3 i have seems bigger and mine is 180g. The hex feels better in my hand, i like the plastic better and im more consistent with it than the other discs. WHo knows it may just be my flavor of the month but i actually feel like its the mid for me.

Got curious. Did some testing today, Mako3 vs. Hex.

Both demonstrated their excellent attributes. On flat shots, it's exactly the same disc, the landing within 5' of two of my Hexes.

On a hard rip with slight anny--think 'inadvertent' :D--the Mako3 rode that line the whole way, about 300', without unfurling hardly at all. I threw a Hex immediately afterward, the line still fresh in my mind, and was able to somehow replicate it. The Hex unkinked itself at the end. I'd say same shot, 30-40' distance in landing spot, with the Hex giving a faint fade at the end and finishing a tad to the left.

This kind of squares with my own intuition. BTW it's a somewhat seasoned 175g Mako3 in star plastic. I've always been singularly impressed by how well the Mako3 holds an anny line.

And for steep anny lines where the airborne time isn't the same as a 300' type, more flat anny, the Hex will provide a rough facsimile. But it's no Mako3--I swear that disc has BH anny superpowers. One day I spent a lot of time testing my discs using a baseball diamond chain link fence (the high fencing from 3d base to 1st base) to kind of measure and visualize which discs really seem to get the most lateral penetration on a BH anny. Mako3 was king. I didn't have a Meteor or Comet or Tursas at that point, so I'd be curious to try it against those discs.

Anyways. Sorry to make it so long, but the point about being similar to a Mako3 is pretty much spot on, and this was the major distinction that I found with my particular discs.

The other slight distinction was feel on FH shots. I've spent a lot of time getting tight with my Hex on FH, and the subtle differences are enough to challenge my confidence with the Mako3. I had some that were exactly like Hex flight, but others that didn't leave the hand on the right line. I believe with practice that I would develop more feel with the Mako3.

Overall, they are far more alike, the Mako3 and Hex, than different. However, Mako3 has a certain anti-fade on throws that really test the slow-speed characteristics of the disc. I think that tad of stability from the Hex may be a boon on shanks.

It got me thinking about bagging a Mako3 for that attribute alone, it's a bit unlike other discs and somehow 'orthogonal' a bit, but I've been very impressed with my Tursas which I'd rather sink more time and learning into for anhyzer work.

Still no Mako3 round here but I received my backup 169 hex se today. Tossed it next to my other one.. Turns out I have knocked a lot more stability off than I thought. I guess I haven't gotten better with the disc just that the disc has gotten better. Fought the extra stability all night but really I don't think I've had my other one more than a month and change so it shouldn't take long.

Banged a short 220' ace down a tunnel with my og one. All kept thinking is that it's what the tangent should have been. Very similar lines but more glide, little more S.

Dangers of playing right after a stout rain: the Wills Park creek grabbed my pink/pink Hex and carried it off. Still *adore* the thing for a steady anhyzer.

Got in 6 Hex throws this evening in the gusty pre-thunderstorm winds at West Fork.

Hole 2: 360' 4' downhill swirly tailwind/headwind, predominantly gusty right to left tail on a RHBH. Nice rip out of the hand, I'm thinking ace run. Was wings level the entire flight, but jumped up about 20' and sailed beyond basket and went OB long and left. C2 putt but I laid up with the winds.

Hole 3: 400' 8' downhill gusty, strong HW. For science, went full rip but kept it low. Disc kept wings level for most part, slight turn but I've lost discs that go WAY right in that HW into the creek (major slope from left-high to right-low). Was a nice throw (pats back) and ended up C2, short, probably 60-70' short.

Hole 4: ~430' slight uphill to flat, tailwind but gusts had died for the moment. Threw a safe shot that went straight about 330' or so.

Hole 5: ~450' that was planned layup, strong HW and major fear of flipping disc which could become irretrievable. Disc flipped despite care taken, but not too bad. Because of terrain you have to get slightly nose up to clear terrain, disc began straight, then turned, but didn't go stupid. Was off to side of fairway but was an easy 125-150' upshot.

Hole 6: ~270' big uphill R to L headwind, gusty and super weird local wind pattern. Great throw that ended up slightly short and left, edge of circle to outside C1 putt.

Hole 18: ~380' big downhill tailwind, laced it pure and low, 10' putt.

Overall. Is this a 'safe' disc? Yes and no. Yes--the nose-up flip on the most dangerous shot was muted enough that I feel I won't be punished too severely. No--on two of the throws I'd much rather have thrown my Halo Destroyer in order to ensure an inbounds toss.

Kinda what you would expect I guess.

. . . Overall. Is this a 'safe' disc? Yes and no. Yes--the nose-up flip on the most dangerous shot was muted enough that I feel I won't be punished too severely. No--on two of the throws I'd much rather have thrown my Halo Destroyer in order to ensure an inbounds toss.

Well if you are comparing a neutral midrange to a Halo Destroyer, I would say that speaks well of the neutral midrange, yes? :D

Well if you are comparing a neutral midrange to a Halo Destroyer, I would say that speaks well of the neutral midrange, yes? :D

Fair. For a 178g neutral mid, it doesn't seem to misbehave. Then again, I kept my throws as nose-down as possible, and despite gusty, semi-hellacious winds, the disc did nothing bizarre. It's still a neutral mid, but it earned some 'game-day' trust.

Having said that, with some nose-up or release errors, I expect it would misbehave as would most discs that are not stupid stable.

Looking forward to throwing the Hex next week (hopefully) I had ordered one through OTB but also pre-ordered a Nomad so they waited to ship everything at once.
Side note: I'm not sure why I trying out discs that may kick a beloved Roc out of my bag.

Looking forward to throwing the Hex next week (hopefully) I had ordered one through OTB but also pre-ordered a Nomad so they waited to ship everything at once.
Side note: I'm not sure why I trying out discs that may kick a beloved Roc out of my bag.

I'll be especially curious to get your take on Roc v. Hex.

Mine seems slow, stable and low on glide. Only field throws, so I am not going to judge fully until I throw it on the course.

I'll be especially curious to get your take on Roc v. Hex.

Haven't forgotten about this, just got the Hex last weekend (finally). Took it and a Reactor out to the course with my main 3 Rocs. Unfortunately the 15-20 mph gusty wind made it hard for me to compare them. Also slid off the end of a teepad about 5 holes in and tweaked my back so I headed home after that (yeesh I feel old)

More throws needed!

Intrigued. But at first I thought meh, I can cover the dead straight minimal fade slot with my VIP Tursas. But i love the feel of my Deflector. So i broke down and ordered a couple. My mids are Deflector, Gatekeeper and Tursas. We'll see what happens. I'm sure I'll like it.

tursas and hex seem a long way apart? tursas are pretty understable and i dont really get that from the hex. maybe its just me

Latest posts