• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

I used to bag a squall and they're noticeably different. The Hex doesn't fly as far as a squall and feels much better in the hand. My Squalls were kind of touchy with angles, but not the Hex. As long as you don't crank over on the Hex I swear it autocorrects to go dead straight. I can hammer on the Hex and get great controlled distance without worrying about it flipping over too much.

The more I read about the Hex the more it sounds similar to the Squall.

I've never thrown a Squall, but I've held one in my hands at a local shop. I didn't really like the feel in the hand. The Hex though feels like butter. If you like butter of course. If not, insert whatever really awesome thing you want as a better simile. The point is, the Hex feels so great in the hand, and flies great in the air.

Did you take it out for a 1 disc round? And if so, how'd you do?

Not purely 1 disc, but I replaced my non-Comet shots with Hex shots wherever possible. I shot a very good round for me (-4) on local short tees, where as usual I left a few putts on the table. Since I'm transitioning my game more to a hyzerflip-to-flat woods game after form changes, I found I can get the Hex up to flat with a little less power than my heavy Buzzzes require.

So Hex is now competing with my most beat-in Buzzz for that stock mid slot. I think I'll take them both out for a head-to-head competition rotating as Player 1 & 2 next time!

Little bit of a necro bump, but I started throwing the Hex again and I love it. Brychanus, this is why I tried the Hex in the first place. I love the Buzzz but I feel like the current runs have gotten more OS, flying more like 0-2 turn/fade rather than -1/-1. It also works surprisingly well on touch forehands.

Little bit of a necro bump, but I started throwing the Hex again and I love it. Brychanus, this is why I tried the Hex in the first place. I love the Buzzz but I feel like the current runs have gotten more OS, flying more like 0-2 turn/fade rather than -1/-1. It also works surprisingly well on touch forehands.

Yes, it's amazing. I could almost ditch my Craves and just go with the Hex. Feels more accurate out of the hand, holds a slightly narrower flight path, and nearly goes as far. Nearly.

I was trying out the RPM Kotuku for a while and got one beat in to buttery smooth. More or less the same flight as my newish Hex. But the forehand capability and the smooth release brought me back to the Hex. Sure I won't be able to get my mid set up down to one mold, but I'm so much more confident from 250-310ish

I grabbed a hex as a BH disc, it found bag space as a FH disc and backup BH. Really excited to see where it breaks into but it's fantastic out of the box! Super comfortable feel too, all the new mids feel "good" .

Pretty soon I'm going to have to offer this disc a partnership interest.

CkHSLkP.jpg

I was trying out the RPM Kotuku for a while and got one beat in to buttery smooth.

That's interesting - what plastic was the Kotuku? RPM is everywhere here in Australia, and I have a glow Atomic Kotuku and regular Atomic Kotuku. They fly much more overstable than my Hexes, and are pretty much identical in flight to my Pyros.

I imagine a Magma or Strata Kotuku would beat in straight but I've never seen them.

Last edited:
That's interesting - what plastic was the Kotuku? RPM is everywhere here in Australia, and I have a glow Atomic Kotuku and regular Atomic Kotuku. They fly much more overstable than my Hexes, and are pretty much identical in flight to my Pyros.

I imagine a Magma or Strata Kotuku would beat in straight but I've never seen them.
I had a strata that was getting really straight. Thrown back to back with the Hex, the left to right motion was almost identical with a little more fade in the Kotuku. The plastic was getting softer too and reminded me of old DX. But my atomic and cosmic are both very beefy like yours haha

big fan of the hex. i replaced vectors with reactors because of the better rim feel, and sought out a similar replacement for my Axis. Found it with the Hex. Smooth, straight flights forehand or backhand with no flip. Flies like a longer Proxy for me. Excited to get one seasoned and beat out what little fade it has.

I'd be curious for the update if you have one.

No videos but the Hex is still in the bag as a permanent Axis replacement.

I was pretty bummed to hear MVP discontinuing the old molds, but after giving the new ones a chance I prefer them. Same smooth, consistent flights as the Axis & Vector, but with much more comfortable rim shapes.

big fan of the hex. i replaced vectors with reactors because of the better rim feel, and sought out a similar replacement for my Axis. Found it with the Hex. Smooth, straight flights forehand or backhand with no flip. Flies like a longer Proxy for me. Excited to get one seasoned and beat out what little fade it has.

I've been throwing them a ton but the 'beat-in' version keeps failing to materialize.

The 170-172 weights from the early runs seem significantly less HSS to me. My flippier ones are also noticeably softer than the average. I like both "versions".

I bet part of my affinity for this disc is related to the fact that I throw at altitude, and discs tend to be a bit more stable in general.

Back on the course after a long kid-related hiatus. The first crisis I had to deal with was OOP eclipse axis. There's currently one on sale somewhere for $65. Nah.

I just got about a dozen throws on a swirly orange/yellow N Hex (177) at the soccer field. Compared to a pretty seasoned Ecl. Axis it's less touchy, and almost as long (like not quite as glidey.) It (hex) was also less affected by the wind.

I hope it maintains this stability for the most part. I was comfortable throwing it as hard as I can throw right now, even on a breezy day.

Back on the course after a long kid-related hiatus. The first crisis I had to deal with was OOP eclipse axis. There's currently one on sale somewhere for $65. Nah.

I just got about a dozen throws on a swirly orange/yellow N Hex (177) at the soccer field. Compared to a pretty seasoned Ecl. Axis it's less touchy, and almost as long (like not quite as glidey.) It (hex) was also less affected by the wind.

I hope it maintains this stability for the most part. I was comfortable throwing it as hard as I can throw right now, even on a breezy day.

Yes Hex is a real nice disc. I never bagged an Axis but based on a few tosses Hex seems similar.

Reactor is the next step up in stability, with a light Fission Reactor somewhat intermediate (mine is new but I am hoping it will beat in within a reasonable time).

Latest posts