• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey, New this year!

MikeB18

Hey everyone, my name is Mike if you cannot tell, and I am from WNY.
Started playing early this year, borrowed some discs then purchased my own.
Bought a Boss, Nuke SS, Xpress, Buzzz, and a focus putter.
Lost the boss last week and added a Wraith, Destroyer and a Solace.

I Drive right forehand, sub 100' and putt I backhand.
I definitely need to work on form for my drive, with the nuke ss and solace I can get 300-350 with alright accuracy (practice on a soccer field on a diagonal, trying to land on the corner).

My opinion of my discs and how I throw them:
Nuke SS-Get a good S curve with this disc, Sometimes I roll it because bad form
Solace-Wanted something that would not turn over and avoid rolling at all costs
Xpress-Cannot get this flat, almost always rolls
Buzzz-Good disc, 150-200' I like it
Boss/Wraith/Destroyer-They all like to go left, need more practice with them (except the boss, it's in a creek).

Anyhow, just going to look for some advice here, and looking to get out and have fun :)

Hey Mike, welcome from Upper Michigan!
The advice that I give to everyone...have fun.

Went out today and played 18, recorded my form and my cousins form on hole 18. Both bad as heck lol. Had some great drives but definitely need to improve form.

get some fairway drivers to work on your technique - leopard or XL for innova/discraft would be a good start. the fast drivers will teach you bad habits.

Hey there Mike!
I am no expert, but I primarily drive forehand as well (with a wraith.)
In my very humble opinion, there are a couple things that could drastically change your throws.
1: It appears your throw starts high, goes low, and ends high. Try keeping the disc traveling through a more level plane.
2: The forearm grip generally has the palm facing up as it travels with the disc. You appear to follow through by turning your palm back down. Try to keep your palm facing up in your follow through. This is why your high speed drivers are going extremely left. When you turn your palm over in your follow through, you already began that motion while holding the disc which is going to take it on a leftward course. This is especially bad for high speed drivers, since many of them already want to turn a bit and should be released at a slight hyzer angle so they flip up and fly straight.

Any experts feel free to correct me if this information is incorrect.

Thanks, I will give that a try, I started working on my backhand as well. I'm going to take it slow and work on 100' shots for both FH and BH.