• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Desert Distance Challenge 2016

McBeth is known for his accuracy, not his distance. That being said, I don't know hahahahahaha.
He's still probably top 5-10 in distance on tour. I think ppl under estimate his distance. Tournament distance he may be #1, but that's not raw distance I know. Also someone brought up smooth release or great form (less wobble) can allow ppl to ride that wind. To me McBeth has the smoothest form and top notch distance so it'd just be interesting to see what he could do.

He's still probably top 5-10 in distance on tour. I think ppl under estimate his distance. Tournament distance he may be #1, but that's not raw distance I know. Also someone brought up smooth release or great form (less wobble) can allow ppl to ride that wind. To me McBeth has the smoothest form and top notch distance so it'd just be interesting to see what he could do.

I have never seen McBeth crank off a 360° power drive hahaha. I have no doubt in my mind that he could do it, but it is not his strong suit. Golf lines and raw open field distance lines are quite different animals, and success in one doesn't necessarily carry over to the other.

Disclosure: what follows is complete speculation on my part:
I think the reason McBeth doesn't do these is fear of injury.
Back to facts:
Lizotte hurt himself in the distance competition at the USDGC a few years back. If you look at the videos, you could see him struggling with (what looked) a back spasm/muscle injury.
I think someone has also said that Lizotte was concerned and hoped he didn't injure himself at the distance comp this year.

I have never seen McBeth crank off a 360° power drive hahaha. I have no doubt in my mind that he could do it, but it is not his strong suit. Golf lines and raw open field distance lines are quite different animals, and success in one doesn't necessarily carry over to the other.

I saw one on Youtube somewhere of McBeth doing a 360 drive. Yeah he doesn't do distance he said before because of injury concerns.

Injury is a good dissuader, but I think PMB just knows that adding distance lines to his arsenal could potentially diminish his disc golf game, since muscle memory plays such a large factor. I know that for myself personally, my propensity to throw on a flat trajectory (I aim for anywhere from 5-15° typically) hurts my distance, but I play disc golf, I don't compete in distance comps hahahaha.

I watched mcbeth throw a 360 on a dvd once. It was a match play event they dont do anymore.

Good job lizotte. You surprise me so much haha.

yeah I did post on chat, technique and discs. think they all apply. good stuff. love talking about throwing discs with wind. both against and with.

By the way march is the windy month under folklore. Get your kites out if haven't already or your lightweight throw it with the wind discs.

My money is on Lizotte and Geisenger out throwing you at sea level, while you're throwing in the desert with a tailwind.

you are completely right. my inability to throw long distances doesn't make my opinion on the ridiculousness off the distance event invalid. personally I will always take more pride in accuracy in my golf game than distance.

Simon might be the first to say, "You want to see me throw over that mountain".....

..and actually mean it

Last edited:
The fact there are no environmental conditions to qualify shows that this competition needs to mature. When gail force winds are needed to set the record there is something wrong with the competition.

So this was the only thing going on this weekend? No big tourneys, nothing?