• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

$2 16oz Red Dogs at the old Astrodome. Halfway through the first one, or if drinking off a hangover, they get almost to decent tasting.

I had a roommate in college whose dad used to travel for work and when he would come back through Columbia he would stop and drop off the beers he ran across. Back in the 80's there were still a lot of the small breweries cranking out watery lager beer, and he was a cheap beer savant. He dropped off some of the most awful swill ever labeled as "beer" from all over the country, but we learned to shake in fear for our taste buds when he was coming back from Wisco. There was some gawdaful swill being brewed up there. The all-time worst beer I've ever tasted is still a beer called Wisconsin Club that he dropped off one day. If there is a God, it will have been discontinued by now.

Yep, that was the days of returnable bottles when you could get a case refilled for $4... Huber, Rhinelander, & Point.

All this bad beer talk is making me thirsty. Have any of you connoisseurs tried Kul? Jaguar? La Crosse Lager? Classic? La Crosse Wisco made some of the worst of the worst, made Beast seem like something special that could only come out when guests were present. All hold a special place in my heart... or liver. Kul was amazing garbage but a case (24 bottles) was $2.99 in 2004, jaguar may have been cheaper if it was sold in cases.

CMU back in the day, we used to get something called Buckhorn beer...$2 for a 12 pack, late 70s, early 80s.

I forgot about Buckhorn.:sick:
True story: I was a TKE at Northeast Missouri State. As part of the initiation we would kidnap pledges while they were walking home from class and drive them 50 miles away to Iowa and drop them. We picked cold nights and took their coats, but we always dropped them in pairs so people wouldn't be solo. The fraternity house had the old radiator heaters. and we would take 6ers of Buckhorn and leave them on top of the radiators until they were really hot. When we dropped the pledges off and took their coats, we gave them the hot 6er of Buckhorn. :|

Of course it was a joke because you would drive down the road and leave them just long enough to freak out, then go back and get them. There was an alumni that lived up there and they took you to his house for shots before they took you back to Kirksville.

The tradition ended when two pledges managed to get free, steal the car and leave a couple of my fraternity brothers on the side of the road in Iowa holding a 6er of hot Buckhorn. :\

True story: I was a TKE at Northeast Missouri State. As part of the initiation we would kidnap pledges while they were walking home from class and drive them 50 miles away to Iowa and drop them. We picked cold nights and took their coats, but we always dropped them in pairs so people wouldn't be solo. The fraternity house had the old radiator heaters. and we would take 6ers of Buckhorn and leave them on top of the radiators until they were really hot. When we dropped the pledges off and took their coats, we gave them the hot 6er of Buckhorn. :|

Of course it was a joke because you would drive down the road and leave them just long enough to freak out, then go back and get them. There was an alumni that lived up there and they took you to his house for shots before they took you back to Kirksville.

The tradition ended when two pledges managed to get free, steal the car and leave a couple of my fraternity brothers on the side of the road in Iowa holding a 6er of hot Buckhorn. :\

And this is why I wasn't in a fraternity.

If you were in Northeast Missouri and driving to Iowa, you were really dropping people off in the middle of nowhere. That region of Iowa South of Ottumwa and West of Keokuk is true nowhere. Source: I'm from NW Iowa and have family in Keokuk. Not a lot happening in NW Iowa either, but my God some of SE Iowa is incredibly empty.

Back to cheap beer: Miller High Life got me through grad school. Not the absolute cheapest, but not the bottom of the barrel in terms of drinkability either. High Life lived at the intersection between how low I'd go on taste and how high I could go on cost.

If I'm ever in Minnesota I'm sure to grab some Grain Belt. That stuff rules and is super cheap. I hear it was very bad in the 70's and 80's, but it's good stuff now! Not sure what changed or when. I wish Grain Belt had was more accessible outside of MN.

11:34 AM Petitioner John A Jokinen in court. Respondent Thomas G Wincse in court. RE was not served prior to hearing. Com Sorensen will adjourn hearing for at least 48 hours. Parties in agreement to go out 1 week from today. RE was not served but did receive paperwork at the Ashland County Clerk of Courts office this morning. Adjourned hearing scheduled for February 12, 2019 at 03:30 pm.

"RE" means what???

still wondering if any lawyers are involved....

I had a roommate in college whose dad used to travel for work and when he would come back through Columbia he would stop and drop off the beers he ran across. Back in the 80's there were still a lot of the small breweries cranking out watery lager beer, and he was a cheap beer savant. He dropped off some of the most awful swill ever labeled as "beer" from all over the country, but we learned to shake in fear for our taste buds when he was coming back from Wisco. There was some gawdaful swill being brewed up there. The all-time worst beer I've ever tasted is still a beer called Wisconsin Club that he dropped off one day. If there is a God, it will have been discontinued by now.

Looks like Wisconsin Club still exists. The place it was brewed has since changed names, become a craft brewery, and almost burned down, but people are still drinking Wisconsin Club and tasting that it is not good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Huber_Brewing_Company

Here are some reviews from people online.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wisconsin-club/7032/
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/20507/

A couple of quotables:

"Koppa's in Milwaukee has a good beer selection, but they carry some total losers too.
Looks extremely faint straw yellow, flimsy white head that vanishes before you can throw the bottle in the shooting pile. The aroma is cooked vegetables, nothing in terms of hops or malt. Big whiff of aluminum even though this was poured out of a glass bottle.

Taste. I'm reminded of Mr. Tekagi in Die Hard: What taste? (I know he said 'what money'? or you want money, but the point remains). Watery, bland. More cooked veggie and metallic stuff going on, but its not as bitter as I thought it would be.

Look, there's plenty of crappy macro lager stuff made in Wisconsin, and most of it blows this beer out of the water. Rhinelander, Blatz, Schlitz, heck even Miller High Life is superior to Wisconsin Club."

Also

"This is probably the most horrendous beer brewed. Might as well suck the fart out of a pregnant skunk. I absolutely could not accept this as beer. There are no words to discribe this liquid. Bad. Bad. Bad. I went into the product with an open mind knowing it was a bad beer. But, OMG! I'd rather lick a 20 year old wet shag carpet and swallow than ever, ever drink this stuff."

And this is why I wasn't in a fraternity.

If you were in Northeast Missouri and driving to Iowa, you were really dropping people off in the middle of nowhere. That region of Iowa South of Ottumwa and West of Keokuk is true nowhere. Source: I'm from NW Iowa and have family in Keokuk. Not a lot happening in NW Iowa either, but my God some of SE Iowa is incredibly empty.

Back to cheap beer: Miller High Life got me through grad school. Not the absolute cheapest, but not the bottom of the barrel in terms of drinkability either. High Life lived at the intersection between how low I'd go on taste and how high I could go on cost.

If I'm ever in Minnesota I'm sure to grab some Grain Belt. That stuff rules and is super cheap. I hear it was very bad in the 70's and 80's, but it's good stuff now! Not sure what changed or when. I wish Grain Belt had was more accessible outside of MN.
When I was in college we had a lost drunken weekend in Minneapolis/St. Paul that started at the Schmidt Brewery and ended at the Metrodome siting in the CF cheapies on Kirby Bear day in a section of almost entirely kids screeching KIIIRRRBBBYYY! every time Kirby Puckett ran out to center field while one of the worst hangovers of my life pounded in my head. One of many highlights was the Uey well did on the Hennepin Bridge when we saw the Grain Belt sign light up in the rear view mirror.

Looks like Tom must be doing pretty well now, I see he's signed up for a tournament this weekend.

Hoping the weather freezes (it is called "The Big Freeze") the courses @ Dretzka before the weekend, don't need a couple hundred players stomping through the thawed park on either course.

this thread is a perfect foreshadowing of why HBH Wisconsin is where it is today :doh:

Because a few people in a thread on DGCR go off on a crappy beer tangent?

Anywho, someone mentioned Lacrosse Lager.

That stuff is bad.

Even worse was one we found called Boxer in Central WI.

It was sold in 36 packs only and was like 8 bucks.

Tasted like rotten fruit.

Another place had "Beer 30", that was literally the name and only came in 30 packs.

When the student becomes the master. Also LOL @ frats.

All this bad beer talk is making me thirsty. Have any of you connoisseurs tried Kul? Jaguar? La Crosse Lager? Classic? La Crosse Wisco made some of the worst of the worst, made Beast seem like something special that could only come out when guests were present. All hold a special place in my heart... or liver. Kul was amazing garbage but a case (24 bottles) was $2.99 in 2004, jaguar may have been cheaper if it was sold in cases.

FWIW, the story I heard was that prior to Miller buying Heileman's Brewing, Old Style was brewed in LaCrosse. When Miller moved production to Milwaukee and changed the recipe, the former Heileman brewery in LaCrosse began producing LaCrosse Lager, which used the original Old Style recipe. I think they made a knock off of Special Export too.

So apparently this thread divulged into beer talk? Mods, take this **** to the landfill where it belongs. I was enjoying the drama but now this thread has become useless drivel which doesnt involve discgolf in the least bit.:thmbdown: **** man DGCR has really hit the ****ter recently. but yeah.....keep talking about **** ****ing beer in a DISCGOLF thread you ****ing yanks

Latest posts