• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Nope, we're staying there (or at least some of my group is). One of us called john a couple days ago and he said everything's a go, but you have to sign something that says you are working for him in order to stay there.

Idk if that's just for Honka, or for staying there at all.

I'd be really worried. If the city came down, or worse the tax man.

If John has you sign something that says you worked for him, and then he decides to hide some money by claiming he paid you a bunch in cash, the IRS will come after you.

I wouldn't sign something like that under any circumstances, and I'd probably let the city/county know he is playing games like that as its super duper illegal.

I'd be really worried. If the city came down, or worse the tax man.

If John has you sign something that says you worked for him, and then he decides to hide some money by claiming he paid you a bunch in cash, the IRS will come after you.

I wouldn't sign something like that under any circumstances, and I'd probably let the city/county know he is playing games like that as its super duper illegal.

Eh. I'd obviously read whatever it is first.

Sometimes we are there for days and never even see John once. 2 years ago the first time I saw him was on our final round.
My plan was to try to do that again and avoid the whole situation. I don't even like the Honka house - I'm going to try to camp out on Bear somewhere.

Whatever happens, I will update. If he wants us to sign something, I'll post it here so everyone knows what they're walking into.

Last edited:
Lol, yup. But it's no different than every other year. Every time I have been there, at some point John has given us a warning like "Yeah, if anyone ever says anything to you, just tell them you're working for me"

Now I guess he needs that in writing for whatever reason? Idk, and don't really care as long as we can frolf.

So I've been looking around trying to find the current fees to disc golf and camp there, but the only thing I found is a $5 membership fee. Could you outline the various costs to stay and play there? Or do you have a link that outlines these costs, thanks.

So I've been looking around trying to find the current fees to disc golf and camp there, but the only thing I found is a $5 membership fee. Could you outline the various costs to stay and play there? Or do you have a link that outlines these costs, thanks.

Uhhh...Idk where to find that, but from memory:

Cabin/Honka - $20/night/person
Camping - $8/night/person
Disc golf - $5/day/person
Carts - $40/day

I could be wrong on all of these. But like John said in that FB response - it's all honor system....so I get the feeling people often pay way less than they should. We had 50% off last year also, due to being there in '16 immediately after Infra when the place looked (and smelled) like garbage.

Uhhh...Idk where to find that, but from memory:

Cabin/Honka - $20/night/person
Camping - $8/night/person
Disc golf - $5/day/person
Carts - $40/day

I could be wrong on all of these. But like John said in that FB response - it's all honor system....so I get the feeling people often pay way less than they should. We had 50% off last year also, due to being there in '16 immediately after Infra when the place looked (and smelled) like garbage.

Thanks, that gives us something to go on anyway. Do you call him or text him to get info and reservations? And what's the deal with Abby, is she John's GF?

Thanks, that gives us something to go on anyway. Do you call him or text him to get info and reservations? And what's the deal with Abby, is she John's GF?

LOL - that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

If you have FB, that's usually your best bet. Else text him. If you call, he's one of those people that never wants the call to end.

I have no idea what their actual relationship is, or how John came to know Abby. But she was staying at his house last time I was there....

The deal with her is that it's in your best interest to avoid/ignore her. She will mooch anything you have and never leave you alone if you are nice to her (especially if there's anyone in your group who's "interested" in her).

Last year we just basically stopped talking anytime she was around and gave very short answers to any questions. We never saw her. :clap:

LOL - that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

If you have FB, that's usually your best bet. Else text him. If you call, he's one of those people that never wants the call to end.

I have no idea what their actual relationship is, or how John came to know Abby. But she was staying at his house last time I was there....

The deal with her is that it's in your best interest to avoid/ignore her. She will mooch anything you have and never leave you alone if you are nice to her (especially if there's anyone in your group who's "interested" in her).

Last year we just basically stopped talking anytime she was around and gave very short answers to any questions. We never saw her. :clap:

Thanks again, sounds like good advice. ;)

I'm not sure my update is worth mentioning but John just messaged me back and all he said was "You can tent," after I asked what it looks like for the weekend we reserved.
Obviously I have no idea what this means in terms of where or how much or anything but I'm going to ask for a refund of the money I sent to reserve the weekend. I think we all know how that will end but will update once I hear (most likely will just get ignored.)

I'm not sure my update is worth mentioning but John just messaged me back and all he said was "You can tent," after I asked what it looks like for the weekend we reserved.
Obviously I have no idea what this means in terms of where or how much or anything but I'm going to ask for a refund of the money I sent to reserve the weekend. I think we all know how that will end but will update once I hear (most likely will just get ignored.)

What did you reserve? Honka?

Don't sign anything he gives you and don't send him money up front.

Also stay away from Abby.

The last time we were there we stayed in Honka. A few of our group were partaking in some green on the deck and the comment was made

"Do you want to get Abby? Cause thats how you get Abby." much laughter ensued as they were much more circumspect in their usage for the rest of the weekend.

Be we were also mostly chubby old dudes who are all married so she didn't really try to get her hooks in too hard.

Don't sign anything he gives you and don't send him money up front.

Also stay away from Abby.

I would say I agree, but was also told we couldn't reserve anything without sending money. I sent the money in the winter before all of this. Also to be fair as much as people say they've got screwed my John in some way, our group has literally never once had that happen in the 3-5 years we have gone there for a weekend. He typically always gives us some carts on gold and is around to bring more wood for the fires, again never had an issue.

Now that there has been an issue, very good likelyhood I will not return for a full weekend unless I decide to just show up last minute and worst case camp if no cabins are available.

Now that there has been an issue, very good likelyhood I will not return for a full weekend unless I decide to just show up last minute and worst case camp if no cabins are available.

I like camping more than Honka/cabins anyway. Honka is kind of gross - the only useful thing about it is a large fridge. Besides that, I would rather just camp. Other than the Infra mess in '16 and cops showing up last year, we've never had issues either, lol. Never any issues with John personally, at least.

Here's what he just told my buddy in response to "Can we camp there yet?"

"We are camping on hill. 99% in compliance. Just awaiting on some "paperwork, technical stuff". Courses all mowed up. Place looks awesome! Just not really using Chestnut yet."

Lol, 99% in compliance.

What the hell is with all the random quotes John puts in all his posts/messages? That always leaves me scratching my head, among many other things...

Lol that's too funny. My understanding is that John doesn't own the chestnut area what so ever so I'm sure that chestnut will most likely never be available to hbh again.

If you're curious who owns various parcels on the hill and campground, zoom into the area between Poppe Rd and County C just on the north side of Mile Rd. http://ashlandcowi.wgxtreme.com/ Roger Juaire is an investor from St. Cloud who helped John out in the early 2000s (shortly before I got involved developing those disc golf courses) by buying up much of the hill and all of the campground area. Roger's purchase happened soon after his father-in-law passed away who had been John's partner in creating the partly developed ball golf course on the hill.

Latest posts