• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

History: Scott Stokely sets world record for distance

grodney

* Ace Member *
Retro Wednesday:

Apr 5 1998, Scott Stokely threw a 167g Discraft XL 211.32m (693.3 ft) to break his own record of 200.01m.

I find the details of the throw to be interesting (only 10mph wind, thrown with anhyzer -- not a hyzer flip).

Scott posted some thoughts to rec.sport.disc (the most active forum on the internet at the time):

>Seriously though, when he's going for maximum distance, is he throwing
>hyzer or anhyzer? (Inside-out vs. outside-in to us ultimate folk.) I
>assume he gets enough power on the disc to make even the most
>overstable one go right in its initial flight, so is his initial
>release a hyzer?

With the XL I released my shot with a slight anhyzer that held for most
of the flight and then faded left at the end (right handed backhand).

> First, the disc. What does it fly like? How overstable is it? Can you
> compare it to other discs in stability (Magnet, Stratus, X2, Cyclone,
> Cyclone 2, X-clone)?

The XL is basically dead stable for long throws and only slightly
overstable medium range. It glides far at the end of its flight, and
doesn't fall off hard. It flies a lot like a stable Cyclone, but
farther.

> Now, The Throw. Did you do a 360? What do estimate the release angle
> was (20 degree hyzer, very slight hyzer, flat, 30 degree anhyzer)? If
> you released with hyzer, did it flatten, did it turn right? At the end
> of the flight, was it gliding left, falling left, gliding right, going
> straight? How high did you throw it (flat, 5 degrees, 10 degrees, 30
> degrees)? What do you think the wind did to it, if anything?

Yes, I did a 360 and released with approximately 20 degrees of anhyzer
angle. It held its exact line for about 150 meters before slowly
turning back left. It ended its flight striking the ground nearly flat.
The wind did not effect it much because it was only 8 to 10 miles per
hour. It did not however hurt me, due to the fact that it blew in the
right direction.

> Where is The Disc (the specific one used) now? What is its future?

All five discs were 169 grams. When I reached the landing spot of the
record, the markers handed me the record disc along with the other four.
I then mixed in the record disc with the rest and shuffled them around
until I didn't know which one was THE ONE. This way, I can send one to
my mother, one to Discraft, one to my godfather, one for Christi, and
one for me. This way we can all share a piece of the record (plus I
don't have to pick who gets THE DISC).

i always thought that the distance record should only be official if there is no wind/calm. I kind of can't accept Wiggins as having the legit record. I wonder what conditions were like for Sandstroms throw.

Sandstroms throw was also super windy. All major distance records have been set in high winds. Thats why the world indoor record is only 471' and has stood for about 20 years.

Sandstroms throw was also super windy. All major distance records have been set in high winds. Thats why the world indoor record is only 471' and has stood for about 20 years.

How often do people try to challenge this record? I mean guys are throwing over 500 into a headwind these days...

stokely was amazing. he set the record with what was then an extremely overstable disc (xclone) and then broke it with something which flew radically differently (XL).

How often do people try to challenge this record? I mean guys are throwing over 500 into a headwind these days...

500' on the course is usually anywhere between 460-500, people rarely underestimate. The problem is it has to be an exact 471, I'd say very very few people can do it, if any.

How often are the shots actually measured when pros drive? And using the distance for the hole assumes that the hole was measured accurately, which isn't a valid assumption.

Awhile back I tried to do some research on Stokely. Whatever happened to him? Seems like he just kind of fell of the earth.

500' on the course is usually anywhere between 460-500, people rarely underestimate. The problem is it has to be an exact 471, I'd say very very few people can do it, if any.

How often are the shots actually measured when pros drive? And using the distance for the hole assumes that the hole was measured accurately, which isn't a valid assumption.

I'm talking about actual distance competitions at big events. There have been several instances recently where the wind was a headwind, or calm, and the winning distances are all well over 500. Even if the measurements are off, I don't think they're off by 50 feet or more.

Getting 500' is way different then getting 600', the amount of speed imparted on a disc is almost double for that distance. Then when you look at 700-800' you are talking a whole other level which can only be attained with alot of wind. Its just physics.

Awhile back I tried to do some research on Stokely. Whatever happened to him? Seems like he just kind of fell of the earth.

Scott Stokely developed a major back problem that made him quit disc golf. I think he tried to play in a few tournaments within the past 5 years or so but it was really hard on him physically and mentally.

I'm talking about actual distance competitions at big events. There have been several instances recently where the wind was a headwind, or calm, and the winning distances are all well over 500. Even if the measurements are off, I don't think they're off by 50 feet or more.

wasnt the worlds drive contest into a headwind this year?

Getting 500' is way different then getting 600', the amount of speed imparted on a disc is almost double for that distance. Then when you look at 700-800' you are talking a whole other level which can only be attained with alot of wind. Its just physics.

but Stokley did almost 700' with 8-10 mph...thats not "alot" of wind....so what say you?

The 2000 USDGC had Scott in the final round, they showed his bag and he was carrying 4 discs max. On the 17th hole he throws a 500' drive with an X2 or some other overstable disc, makes you wonder what he could have done with some of the modern discs.

Watched a clinic video that had Feldberg talking about going to an event with Philo and Gurthie in Barbados (guessing it was to introduce the sport there), and he claimed Gurthie got over 900-950ft, if it had been a sanctioned event with sponsors he would hold the record now.

Watched a clinic video that had Feldberg talking about going to an event with Philo and Gurthie in Barbados (guessing it was to introduce the sport there), and he claimed Gurthie got over 900-950ft, if it had been a sanctioned event with sponsors he would hold the record now.

A couple of months ago, I asked GG about this throw and how it was measured. They used Google Earth to measure from where it was thrown to the street where a kid said he picked it up. That's not the most reliable method I can think of =-) He said he was pretty sure it landed on that street, but agreed that there's room for doubt.

I don't doubt that GG can beat the record in the next couple of Distance competitions, however.

BTW a sanctioned event makes no difference. It's not a disc golf record, it's a WFDF record.

Last I heard, he was living in Ft. Collins, Colorado, and had a house just off a small 9 hole course at an elementary school up there. Apparently, he didn't really play much for a while, due to that injury, but it sounds like maybe he's able to give it another go now. Good for him.

Many of today's top pros still mention Scott at clinics. He's the man in their minds, and it's clear that he always will be.

Latest posts