• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hit the hobo?

New bag by Salient... "Hobo's bindle"

Last summer I was playing NAD Park, which at one time had a somewhat bad rep for homeless and less savory characters doing illicit deeds. This all disappeared after the course went in, with an occasional exception.

Anyways, we walked up to hole 14, and as I looked down the fairway before throwing, I noticed a plastic grocery bag of stuff and what looked like an abandoned sleeping bag lying 50' up the fairway. This park is really clean so it was unusual to see this. So I throw my drive, hit a tree about 35' down, and my disc kicks right on top of the pile. Next thing I know a guy pops up out of the bag looking around, sees my disc, sees me, and tosses it back toward me as i'm still standing on the box, a little shocked there was a guy there in the bag.

Turns out he had no idea he was on a disc golf course. We warned him about the danger, told him where a safer spot would be (behind the box), and he moved there. I ended up feeling pretty bad for that guy, as he seemed pretty meek, maybe even somewhat mentally challenged, and felt the guy was really vulnerable to the dangers that come from being alone and homeless, and meek.

edit--35' down, lol.

Last edited:
This thread continues to tumble down the slippery slope of dehumanizing a group of people. When this happens people have a subconscious built in excuse to automatically stereotype every homeless person as not human which leads to treating these people accordingly. Please landfill this hate thread.

Newsflash: I never said the world was fair or proclaimed it eventually would be. Also I most certainly don't "hear myself when I speak" when I'm typing on a forum. Liberal or not it sounds like you could use some education.

Now let me tell you about personal responsibility. Because a human is homeless does not give me the right to **** on them. I feel responsible/obligated to treat them with the same respect as anyone else. Equality is a simple concept that people like you turn your nose to because you are spoiled brats with this false sense of privilege. You sound like a little kid. The world isn't fair so you don't have to be either? Is that really how you were raised?

"I'm a spoiled brat with a false sense of privilege" Is that what you gleaned from my post?
It is a shame you don't practice what you preach.

The fact that you are trying to demean me with the "name calling" thing (spoiled brats / sound like a little kid) doesn't add any credibility to your argument of "respect all humans".

It just shows your ignorance. In an effort to "hear yourself speak", try reading your posts before you post them.

"I'm a spoiled brat with a false sense of privilege" Is that what you gleaned from my post?
It is a shame you don't practice what you preach.

The fact that you are trying to demean me with the "name calling" thing (spoiled brats / sound like a little kid) doesn't add any credibility to your argument of "respect all humans".

It just shows your ignorance. In an effort to "hear yourself speak", try reading your posts before you post them.
So my "argument" to "respect all humans" is invalid because I called you on your bs?

Also for someone with so much "personal responsibility" it's funny your only rebuttal is playing the victim card. You don't "practice what you preach" which "shows your ignorance".

Trust me if you had legitimate beef I would defend you, I won't however stand by and let some thug bash on people that already have enough problems because the "world isn't fair". Emotional much?

The thread certianly is not designed to dehumanize anyone. The purpose of the thread was to poll opinion on a thing I have seen in two of my local parks and wondered if it was nationwide.

The thread certianly is not designed to dehumanize anyone. The purpose of the thread was to poll opinion on a thing I have seen in two of my local parks and wondered if it was nationwide.

Why would anyone think it's fine to throw on anybody, regardless of who they are? Let them know they're on a disc golf course, and it's not safe for them to be where they are. If they are receptive and move, play the hole. If they refuse to move, skip the hole.

Being disrespectful of others is the kind of avoidable crap that gets courses pulled.

I know this....but it is challenging to try to figure out why their brains don't function normally.
My guess is a markedly liberal education, where one is taught about inclusiveness and diversity, instead of readin', writin', and arithmetic. No longer are students trained to think for themselves, but are inculcated into a false world of political correctness.

Or they could be non-thinking sheeple like you...

Fortunately this does not seem to be something that occurs where I have played. At least, I've never seen anything like this. I do live in what's classified as a "rural" area, but I travel to metropolitan area courses frequently and have not seen it there either. It gets really cold in the winter here, that certainly has some bearing on the homeless situation .

By the way, I have been homeless.

Most, if not all of the homeless people on local courses that I play (ie NFM) know that there is a dg course in the woods, and stay out of the way. At worst, they hang out at picnic tables and bum smokes from passing dgers.

During the 7-8 months I'm in OR for wildfire, I'm "houseless", but home is the Vanagon and the woods. If you met me in a store, library, bar, or at a concert, you'd have difficulty believing I am "homeless" in relation to structure dwellers.

My only qualm was equating the nom de plume "hobo" as a derogatory epithet. REAL hoboes were itinerant workers with few possessions who traveled by rail, foot or thumb to wherever the next job was. Much as blacks have appropriated the n-word for themselves, so hoboes were proud of their title. If you feel the term is negative, then your mindset is wrong. On the other hand, true hoboes are a rare breed, so the term is rarely used, replaced by something with an intended negative connotation from the holier-than-thou---"homeless".

During the 7-8 months I'm in OR for wildfire, I'm "houseless", but home is the Vanagon and the woods. If you met me in a store, library, bar, or at a concert, you'd have difficulty believing I am "homeless" in relation to structure dwellers.

My only qualm was equating the nom de plume "hobo" as a derogatory epithet. REAL hoboes were itinerant workers with few possessions who traveled by rail, foot or thumb to wherever the next job was. Much as blacks have appropriated the n-word for themselves, so hoboes were proud of their title. If you feel the term is negative, then your mindset is wrong. On the other hand, true hoboes are a rare breed, so the term is rarely used, replaced by something with an intended negative connotation from the holier-than-thou---"homeless".
Language evolves. Imbecile use to be the term used for mentally challenged people (or whatever the correct term is now).

No, they just paint the wall, and harass Brent, they never touched the targets.

Don't you remember when Keith took the Bobcat back past the basket and up into the woods north of there ? There was alot of old junk from people living in there. They didn't like the basket. I think they thought it was an antenna to communicate with the alien leader, so they tried to disable it by bashing it repeatedly.

Yeah, I do remember that, but I don't remember hearing anything about their dislike of the basket or the weird antennae theory. Did Keith say that they told him that??

Language evolves. Imbecile use to be the term used for mentally challenged people (or whatever the correct term is now).

Idiot, imbecile and moron were all defined medical categories of people with moderate to severe intellectual disability.

My theory is that the terms fell into disuse when the Three Stooges began using them in their productions. Mo Howard had a knack for poking fun at academia.

A true social justice warrior would not only know the correct term, but also what the next term is likely to be. You gotta step up your game, kid.

Latest posts