• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hit the hobo?

Anyone else almost have issues with this with the unfortunate chaps who are homeless and don't realise the shiny things in the parks are targets and sleep in the "line of fire" and almost play through someones living room?

One hole in Livermore, CA, maybe it's the last, has a big bush/thicket as the main fairway obstacle. For at least several days, while I was in town, there was a camp inside of it. I never saw the resident, but at least a sleeping bag, I think a pillow, maybe a few other items.

Playing with my kids, etc. I was always a bit nervous around it. Not wanting to startle anybody, or overly intrude. But, there must be plenty of discs that land in the thicket (dead center of the fairway), and I did want my discs back.

It was thick enough, and the camp located in such a way, that I didn't feel there was a big chance of injuring anyone. But, you certainly wouldn't want that.

I've heard the course in town in Santa Cruz has a had lot, maybe on and off over the years. Berkeley?

I'm scruffy enough sometimes when I play that I could maybe be mistaken for a homeless guy in newish boots. And I'm a college prof!

No homeless people around here tenting in parks, and have not seen anyone grilling in baskets. I'm all for helping people out and being respectful, but if someone were grilling in a basket it would get put out very very quickly.

It's not fair and very insensitive to call a human "the hobo". They are fellow human beings that share the same world as you and me who happen to be homeless for reasons unbeknown to us. This thread strips them of any dignity and portrays them as animals to feed or to avoid because they may bite. Check your privilege and show some respect.

I've had way more encounters with clueless people on the course than the homeless! I've seen people picnic, take naps, read books, practice dance routines, play flag football and sunbathe in the middle of the fairway! Normally once you explain that the "metal deer feeder with chains" or "bird feeder/house" is actually used for disc golf people get out of the way.

We used to have a lot of street people who would dwell in a valley of our park. Since the course has become so popular, it's stopped.

But...back when it was still common, I once "hit the hobo". He was sitting and leaning against a tree about 50' right of the fairway. My drive nicked the first or second tree off the box sending it in his general direction. Called out "fore" repeatedly and got his attention. He watched the drive coming toward him but off to the right a bit. Last second, it hits another tree and ricochettes right into his leg. I walked up an apologized. He was cool and said something to the affect of "you gave me a fair heads up, just bad luck there".

That's all I've got on street people on the course. Now if we talked old skating stories, I could go on for days. "You just need to fart right before you want to jump on that rail and it'll boost you!"

I have never hit a homeless person. I have seen a couple of them when out playing. I did come across a couple having sex. I walked back and waited a few minutes. Watched someone else walk by them so then I did also. They kept right on going. I have also come across a few different people cooking out on the course so I walked past.

^ Oh man, so many bums/homeless people at outdoor skateparks.

It's a great place to find shelter at night (under ramps), they can bum smokes or beer from the older guys and intimidate the younger kids into giving them money.

I one time had to skip a hole bc a down on his luck bro was just sitting in the fairway. I tried to warn him about incoming discs but he wasn't too chatty.

Leave the homeless alone and aim for the LARPer's! Idiots walking around with their blow up swords who week after week hang out in the woods touching themselves after repeated warnings that they're in the middle of a disc golf course need to have some live flying objects to battle!

Once, a couple guys were actually bbq-ing "in" the basket for hole 1 @ SeaTac. I was going to warn them about the danger, but quickly found they didn't understand me. I started my round at hole 2 instead. I've never seen them there again. It was pretty odd to see hot dogs being cooked on a Mach X

Did you tell Keith? I feel like that might break his heart a little bit. Or who knows? Maybe fire makes the Mach X catch better. I hate those things.

What I dont understand is, why didnt they just use the basket/barbecue in the parking lot. :doh:
Seatac has always been a "colorful" park, with a diverse user profile. Homeless crazy people also bashed in the old #14 basket, which is why it has that plate welded on top. Its also the only place I have seen people humping ( on old 18, midway, left side ) and I think they were there because they had nowhere else to go, not because they enjoy the great outdoors.

Its not the homeless, but the new to this country immigrants up in Everett that amuse me. They use the baskets as clotheslines in the summer, to dry out thier towels and such.
$450.00 clothesline.

Leave the homeless alone and aim for the LARPer's! Idiots walking around with their blow up swords who week after week hang out in the woods touching themselves after repeated warnings that they're in the middle of a disc golf course need to have some live flying objects to battle!

My DG partner and I talked to some larpers on a course last summer. They told us we were pretty cool for disc golf dudes. According to them most DG'ers were a-holes.

It's not fair and very insensitive to call a human "the hobo". They are fellow human beings that share the same world as you and me who happen to be homeless for reasons unbeknown to us. This thread strips them of any dignity and portrays them as animals to feed or to avoid because they may bite. Check your privilege and show some respect.

What if they aren't human? What if they don't share the same world? What if I know the reason(s) they are homeless? What if they have no dignity in the first place? What if I have no privilege?

Is it okay to hit them then?

What if they aren't human? What if they don't share the same world? What if I know the reason(s) they are homeless? What if they have no dignity in the first place? What if I have no privilege?

Is it okay to hit them then?

Posts like this have me questioning if I want to spend my time on this forum anymore.

My DG partner and I talked to some larpers on a course last summer. They told us we were pretty cool for disc golf dudes. According to them most DG'ers were a-holes.

And we kindly tried to tell a group of them that they were in danger of being hit because from the tee box, disc golfers cant see them on these next two wooded holes. No good, week after week they still congregate around the same baskets.