• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hitting the Ace Pot in Doubles

mrDROCK

Par Member
Hey All,
Here is a hypothetical (honest).

Say you are playing in a random doubles league and during your round your partner drives first and hits an Ace on a hole. Sweet! $60 from the Ace Pot. Now what if you wanted to make a run for an Ace on that hole so you can split the pot, but actually there is no reason for you to throw because your "team" already holed out?

This was just a random thought I had that other day. :popcorn:

Assuming it's "worst shot", you have to ace. ;) That's why I don't like doubles, it's always best shot and the same best players always win. ugh...

Throw and ace it.

That way you will not need to ponder what the appropriate gratuity for partner is (if any)

Make sure to ace if it is also a CTP

Throw and ace it.

That way you will not need to ponder what the appropriate gratuity for partner is (if any)

Make sure to ace if it is also a CTP

My question is if I would even get to throw a drive if my partner threw an Ace in first. The hole would technically already be done for us.

absolutely you may throw. You paid into Ace pot. You have standing to throw if you choose. Ace cash is an aside from match anyway.

My question is if I would even get to throw a drive if my partner threw an Ace in first. The hole would technically already be done for us.
Assuming you're playing Best Shot format by PDGA rules, then no you don't get to throw. The hole is completed once your partner hit the Ace.

When playing doubles with Ace Pots involved many players will agree, before the round starts, to split any Ace Pot winnings.

Assuming you're playing Best Shot format by PDGA rules, then no you don't get to throw. The hole is completed once your partner hit the Ace.

When playing doubles with Ace Pots involved many players will agree, before the round starts, to split any Ace Pot winnings.

There we go. This is what I was wondering. :clap:

I am asking upfront more often now, but I typically assume we are splitting the ace pot

I'd say it depends what hole was aced. If it's hole 1, I'd definitely throw just to get a little extra practice in. If it's late in the round, I probably wouldn't. As for splitting the $, around here it's standard to split it with your partner.

Good to know. I haven't played any weekly doubles, but this year I think I will hit some more. Not only was my question answered well, but I appreciate the heads up on discussing the Ace possibility ahead of time.

The only time I don't consider sharing an ace pot with my doubles partner is if he didn't pay into it (if we're not winning the pot if he hits it, why should I share if I hit it?). Otherwise it's assumed it will be a 50/50 split regardless of which of us hits it. Fortunately, at least around here, you buy into the ace pot as a team in BYOP doubles and it's rare when someone doesn't buy into the pot during random draw, so the question of not splitting the pot doesn't come up much at all.

See I'm under the assumption of "whoever aces, gets the ace money". I wouldn't expect my doubles partner to give me money for HIS ace, regardless of whether or not we're a team.

I always ask my doubles partner on the first hole if they want to split the ace pot or not. I usually offer to, but if they would rather not it's no big deal. It takes two seconds and avoids sour grapes later.

See I'm under the assumption of "whoever aces, gets the ace money". I wouldn't expect my doubles partner to give me money for HIS ace, regardless of whether or not we're a team.

And that is why I was asking the question. If my partner throws first, and Aces it, I would not get the chance to throw on that hole as our team has already holed out.

Assuming it's "worst shot", you have to ace. ;) That's why I don't like doubles, it's always best shot and the same best players always win. ugh...

So, you'd rather a format where the best people don't win?

Seems like you need to get into a coin-flipping league or something.

this is incorrect. the Ace pot overrides the fact that your partners disc is still in the basket. a player is NOT holed out until they remove the disc from the basket, so in reality the hole is not holed out just because your partner hit an ace until you guys get up to the basket and they take it out.
IF you paid into the ace pot, then you have the right to throw and also try for an ace, nobody can stop you. anybody the tries, tell them to go kick rocks.

also in regards to the above quote, Ace pots are individual contests, so it is not required to split ace pot winnings with your partner, there is no reason to do that. your partner has absolutely no effect on your disc going into the basket, its all based on your skill (luck) alone.

this is incorrect. the Ace pot overrides the fact that your partners disc is still in the basket. a player is NOT holed out until they remove the disc from the basket, so in reality the hole is not holed out just because your partner hit an ace until you guys get up to the basket and they take it out.
IF you paid into the ace pot, then you have the right to throw and also try for an ace, nobody can stop you. anybody the tries, tell them to go kick rocks.

That may be your local practice, but it's absolutely correct for PDGA sanctioned doubles:

In the Best Shot, Tough Shot, and Best Disc formats, you do not throw if it is mathematically impossible for you to improve your team's score on a hole. In the Best Shot and Tough Shot formats, the second player does not throw if the first player has holed out. If you are playing Best Disc format and your partner has holed out, you do not throw unless you can improve on your partner's score. Any throw made which cannot possibly improve a team's score on a hole is considered an extra throw. A doubles team receives a courtesy warning for an extra throw made by any partner which cannot possibly improve the team's score on a hole regardless of doubles format. The team receives a one throw penalty for each subsequent extra throw during the round.

And while we're at it, removing the disc from the basket is not required to hole out:

802.05 Holing Out

Basket Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc that enters the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

Object Targets: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must strike the marked target area on the object as specified by the Director.

Latest posts