• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hobbyist golf line distance age 46+ expectations?

Lol, don't get the wrong idea. That is with an MVP Relativity with a calm wind. Understable plastic has become my best friend. ;) There is a 60 year old touring player nearby who is 970 rated and puts us all to shame distance wise.

I used to throw a Relativity - it was my first distance driver that I researched, looking for long and understable. I lost it, and every one I've seen on the shelf since then has been a flat top. If I ever find another with dome, I might pick it up. My long throws were a Thrasher and ... I don't remember the other disc that day. Maybe a Pharoah or a Captain.

I have put all my field work effort into backhand form, knowing that it will help me with lines in the long run. I thought if I could throw my line decently, and get reasonable distance, then putting will eventually catch up. But missing line, hit a branch, and 160' short, or hitting my line and being 50' short... doesn't matter how good my putting is.

Lol ok because being as good as Fish or MJ is an attainable goal?

Throwing drivers accurately to 350 is good enough for 95% of players

That's the key word that most leave out when they talk their distance.

I played with many big arms and we were in the bushes looking for their lost discs on every other hole.

Not a fun round of golf.

Yeah, stop worrying about distance and develop elite mid-range distance instead.

If you can backhand 350-400' with accuracy, have a serviceable sidearm, solid approach and scramble game, and putt well within the circle, you can be a very good disc golfer. As others have said, it depends what you enjoy. Around here woods golf is prevalent, so rounds get pretty frustrating if you are not hitting lines most of the time, scrambling well, and making a decent number of putts.

FWIW, I do not have your distance but I still have a ton of fun playing disc golf. :)

So much internet distance here. If you are throwing golf lines 400' (meaning 450'+ open field lines) at age 46 you're out-throwing pretty much everybody in the Master's 40+ divisions (Am or Pro) at your local tournaments. Probably out-throwing most of your local competitive players period.

From a "hobbyist" perspective, 350ish golf distance is enough to play even gold-level courses and take the intended lines. And you can hang with just about anyone.

There was a Trilogy page started on FB years ago and they instantly made a rule that if you claim distance you must provide a video of you throwing that distance in a football field. Had to be a football field.

You don't hear about Internet distance in that group.

So much internet distance here. If you are throwing golf lines 400' (meaning 450'+ open field lines) at age 46 you're out-throwing pretty much everybody in the Master's 40+ divisions (Am or Pro) at your local tournaments. Probably out-throwing most of your local competitive players period.

From a "hobbyist" perspective, 350ish golf distance is enough to play even gold-level courses and take the intended lines. And you can hang with just about anyone.

My internet golf line distance is 350+ and internet open field distance is 400. You are waaaaay off :D

Let me ask a different way, then. What distance do you expect from a 46yo in an open field throwing a driver, in a grouping, not one-off (measured with range-finder)?

There was a Trilogy page started on FB years ago and they instantly made a rule that if you claim distance you must provide a video of you throwing that distance in a football field. Had to be a football field.

You don't hear about Internet distance in that group.

So no one can claim to throw over 360' in that group?:D:p

My internet golf line distance is 350+ and internet open field distance is 400. You are waaaaay off :D

Let me ask a different way, then. What distance do you expect from a 46yo in an open field throwing a driver, in a grouping, not one-off (measured with range-finder)?

IMO 325-350 would be a realistic, typical distance for a grouping of drives from a regular, new-ish player with some basic athletic ability and flexibility. Getting to the 400+ level takes quite a bit of dedication to building very good form.

There are a lot of serious players on here who throw much further, and probably not all of them are lying. But they're outliers for sure when you look at the disc golf community as a whole.

I'm a consistent 380-400' guy with random throws out at 425' when I'm having a good day. I would say at league nights, I'm the longest thrower on the card 9 times out of 10.

In a tournament, I'm playing MA1 and more or less average distance compared to other regular MA1 players. But nowadays Advanced is like 10-12 guys and Rec/Novice are huge.

IMO 325-350 would be a realistic, typical distance for a grouping of drives from a regular, new-ish player with some basic athletic ability and flexibility. Getting to the 400+ level takes quite a bit of dedication to building very good form.

There are a lot of serious players on here who throw much further, and probably not all of them are lying. But they're outliers for sure when you look at the disc golf community as a whole.

I'm a consistent 380-400' guy with random throws out at 425' when I'm having a good day. I would say at league nights, I'm the longest thrower on the card 9 times out of 10.

In a tournament, I'm playing MA1 and more or less average distance compared to other regular MA1 players. But nowadays Advanced is like 10-12 guys and Rec/Novice are huge.

Cool. I'll film sometime when the wind isn't howling.

And here we go, the one guy who without cause tries to put everyone else down because he has a noodle arm, lol. I don't see any internet distance here, just people having a good discussion, until you came here and tried to stir things up.

How would you define golf line vs open field line? To me they are one and the same, I'm not sure why you would add 50 to the open field line. When I do field work, I am actually practicing the shots I would use out on the course.

How would you define golf line vs open field line? To me they are one and the same, I'm not sure why you would add 50 to the open field line. When I do field work, I am actually practicing the shots I would use out on the course.

This is VERY restrained. It honestly takes a lot of patience and self discipline to go out and practice at 80% or so. I find the temptation to flat out rip a bunch of drives too alluring to pass up.

The same temptation to add distance to your anonymous internet profile is also no real surprise.

This is VERY restrained. It honestly takes a lot of patience and self discipline to go out and practice at 80% or so. I find the temptation to flat out rip a bunch of drives too alluring to pass up.

The same temptation to add distance to your anonymous internet profile is also no real surprise.

lol, it was an honest question, which you did not really answer.

How do you define golf lines vs open field lines? He added 50 feet to open field lines, so I am not sure if there is an accepted definition of the two terms.

Besides I don't really have the patience to stand in a field and throw a bunch of discs. My practice usually comes in the form of throwing an extra drive or two out on the course during an early morning practice round.

lol, it was an honest question, which you did not really answer.

How do you define golf lines vs open field lines? He added 50 feet to open field lines, so I am not sure if there is an accepted definition of the two terms.

I think it is generally accepted, that most tournament players rarely throw max distance, while in competition. Most players find a sweet spot in accuracy with less than full power. Dismissing smart play, by finding solid landing spots, working smart angles to the pin and taking topography into decision making, throwing full power just diminishes the ability to stay in the fairway most of the time.

In most discussions of distance golf lines are considered around 80% or less than max, open field ripping distance.

Internet distance is usually about 80% less of each.