• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hobbyist golf line distance age 46+ expectations?

Speaking of old fart problems, the tee assignments for a tourney I signed up for a long time ago in Grand Rapids were recently published. They want MA-40 to play an 18-hole 8,200' layout twice in one day. I had to ask the TD to make sure that wasn't a typo. Yep. No "short" tees in the 5,000's for the division that has guys nearing the half-century mark with a bad left hip. I politely requested a refund.

Who wants my addled body creating backups on a course that long anyway?

There were a grand total of two MA-40's signed up for this. Now it's just that guy with the division all to himself. Who knows? Maybe he just hit the big 4-0 and doesn't have anything wrong with him yet. Power to him!

They should have to declare tee assignments when the tournament is first announced. I sure as heck would've never registered for this in the first place. Rant over.

Go to the course when there are lots of people out playing and see for yourself. I'll bet you don't see many throws beyond 400'.

Speaking of old fart problems, the tee assignments for a tourney I signed up for a long time ago in Grand Rapids were recently published. They want MA-40 to play an 18-hole 8,200' layout twice in one day. I had to ask the TD to make sure that wasn't a typo. Yep. No "short" tees in the 5,000's for the division that has guys nearing the half-century mark with a bad left hip. I politely requested a refund.

Who wants my addled body creating backups on a course that long anyway?

There were a grand total of two MA-40's signed up for this. Now it's just that guy with the division all to himself. Who knows? Maybe he just hit the big 4-0 and doesn't have anything wrong with him yet. Power to him!

They should have to declare tee assignments when the tournament is first announced. I sure as heck would've never registered for this in the first place. Rant over.

that's a really long course. I'd be with you on passing on that. Most courses I play are around 5400' and my walking distance ends up being 7000-8000 steps per my watch or 3 to 4 miles. So, 2 rounds would be ~7 miles. At 8200', you add 50% to that and it's 10 miles of hiking with pack and throwing discs. That would be really tough.

The number that you happened to pick just seems absurdly high.

Kevin Jones just did his ITB and said that he throws M4's, which are slightly faster than a Comet, up to about 380.

So you are telling someone to not worry about distance and just focus on being able to throw the distances of an athletic pro that is half their age and is considered to have elite distance.

Ooooook there bud. Again, I'll reiterate. I threw out a number, and all I meant it that if you can throw a touchy disc "far" (far can mean whatever you want and is different for everyone) and accurately, then your overall game will improve (including distance and accuracy).

My Max in a wide open field is in the 440s, two throws in a row. Haven't been able to catch that again, but it's inside somewhere. On my home course there's only one par3 I haven't landed pin high. Requires a 30' max height at a specific point, and I usually err either side and catch phantom limbs. It measures around und 380' with the range finder. But they moved it to the short pin, so all good for now.

I'm 42, been playing 2 years and play with mostly 22-35 year olds. I can hit 400, maybe 420 max (maybe) and throw further than 90% of people I play with in league and probably 67% of MA1. There is a local pro here who is like 1010 rated and also 42. He throws about 440. If you hit 440 on an actual flat field you are in a high percentile for 20 somethings let alone 40 somethings. Work on putting and go dominate MP40.

I'm 42, been playing 2 years and play with mostly 22-35 year olds. I can hit 400, maybe 420 max (maybe) and throw further than 90% of people I play with in league and probably 67% of MA1. There is a local pro here who is like 1010 rated and also 42. He throws about 440. If you hit 440 on an actual flat field you are in a high percentile for 20 somethings let alone 40 somethings. Work on putting and go dominate MP40.

This. All day.

I'm a 936-rated MP40 and pretty sure I throw further than most in my division. I still get handily beaten by dudes that max out at 325' but keep everything in front of them and don't miss in the circle. It's been an epiphany to see what really matters in the old guys groups--it aint distance, ha!

Go to the course when there are lots of people out playing and see for yourself. I'll bet you don't see many throws beyond 400'.

A better sampling would be go to a course when there is a sanctioned tournament. You are far more likely to see 400 foot throws, even in the 40+ and 50+ divisions.

A better sampling would be go to a course when there is a sanctioned tournament. You are far more likely to see 400 foot throws, even in the 40+ and 50+ divisions.

If you want to set a goal, I suppose, but that's a sampling of a more select group.

He's 10 months in to playing DG. I don't think age groups in a sanctioned tournament will reflect what a person 10 months in should expect.

If you want to set a goal, I suppose, but that's a sampling of a more select group.

He's 10 months in to playing DG. I don't think age groups in a sanctioned tournament will reflect what a person 10 months in should expect.

True. My thinking is since OP is already throwing 350 and is interested in gaining distance, he is better served comparing himself to that sample than to the average true recreational player out on the course every day.

Wowee, if I could throw 300' with a standard throw I would be happy! :) I'm also never going to have time to completely dedicate myself to achieving proper disc golfing form, so I'll settle for 225' and try to work on accuracy and putting.

True. My thinking is since OP is already throwing 350 and is interested in gaining distance, he is better served comparing himself to that sample than to the average true recreational player out on the course every day.

Why should he try to compare himself with anyone else? That seems unproductive.

There's always going to be a few bombers, but typically you're seeing the better players throw controlled 350-375ft drives @ 40+ and 325-350 @ 50+. And what separates the better players even further is putting, especially from c2.

There's always going to be a few bombers, but typically you're seeing the better players throw controlled 350-375ft drives @ 40+ and 325-350 @ 50+. And what separates the better players even further is putting, especially from c2.

Agree. A big difference I see between AM3 and MA50 is scrambling as well. When the MA50 is in trouble, which is less often, you see a bibliography of shots. Flick rollers, sweeping anny, tomahawk, scoobers.... My favorite is busting out the super low ceiling, ultimate, wrist flick, spin shot. Snapping the disc to nose up, from a low angle. The kids are always flabbergasted by that shot, lol.

True. But it can be discouraging to see people rip discs and think you should be doing the same. That was my caveat of goals versus expectations.

I'm not necessarily interested in gaining distance, I just wondered what range I should be expecting. I think I have a pretty good idea now, thanks to all the input. I'm working on tightening up form and putting.

If I play a solo round, I hit many more lines than with a group of 4 or 5. I guess I can't get in a rhythm as fast waiting to throw. I tend to run good streaks and bad streaks. Should work on the mental game too.

I don't disagree, I was only addressing driving distance since that is the topic of the thread.

I get the impression that you think distance and control/putting are mutually exclusive. And I strongly disagree. It is possible for someone to have controlled distance as well as have a good mid game and be a decent putter.

That being said I 100% agree that short game is equally as important as driving distance. there is nothing worse than having a fantastic drive and doinking a 20 footer. Putting is where scoring happens. Conversely there is no better feeling than hitting a 45 foot putt to save par, or score a birdie.