• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hobbyist golf line distance age 46+ expectations?

And here we go, the one guy who without cause tries to put everyone else down because he has a noodle arm, lol. I don't see any internet distance here, just people having a good discussion, until you came here and tried to stir things up.

Not putting anyone down, just pointing out that a new player might come here and think they should be throwing 450' to be "good." If you're out there crushing 500' drives then I'm happy for you, I hope we end up on the same card someday.

To your other question: I would say "wide open field" distance is where you throw big 100% effort flex or hyzer flip lines to get max distance. Usually it requires a lot more side-to-side movement then you'll ever have available on typical disc golf holes. "Golf distance" would be the distance you can throw with some reasonable accuracy and limited height. They aren't strict definitions or anything, just a general way of describing those throwing styles.

I think it is generally accepted, that most tournament players rarely throw max distance, while in competition. Most players find a sweet spot in accuracy with less than full power. Dismissing smart play, by finding solid landing spots, working smart angles to the pin and taking topography into decision making, throwing full power just diminishes the ability to stay in the fairway most of the time.

In most discussions of distance golf lines are considered around 80% or less than max, open field ripping distance.

Internet distance is usually about 80% less of each.

Makes sense, thank you. For me it depends on the course and the hole and situation in tournaments. For some reason I throw straighter and more accurate when I throw harder, especially in the woods. I tend to get myself into trouble when I try to play safe or let up a little. Could explain why I have had shoulder and elbow problems lately, but it is what it is.

BTW, I'm really not 54 either, I added 30 years to my age for internet reasons ;)

Not putting anyone down, just pointing out that a new player might come here and think they should be throwing 450' to be "good." If you're out there crushing 500' drives then I'm happy for you, I hope we end up on the same card someday.

To your other question: I would say "wide open field" distance is where you throw big 100% effort flex or hyzer flip lines to get max distance. Usually it requires a lot more side-to-side movement then you'll ever have available on typical disc golf holes. "Golf distance" would be the distance you can throw with some reasonable accuracy and limited height. They aren't strict definitions or anything, just a general way of describing those throwing styles.

Thank you for clarification, I hope I didn't come off too snarky, lol. Due to shoulder issues, I am really unable to throw anything other than hyzerflips these days, but mine tend to go fairly straight with a slight fade at the end. I am always in awe of watching the young guns on Jomez coverage throwing 550 with dead accuracy, it is very humbling. My favorite was watching McBeth during a skins match park a 1350 foot hole on his second shot and take a 3. Truly amazing stuff!

lol, it was an honest question, which you did not really answer.

How do you define golf lines vs open field lines? He added 50 feet to open field lines, so I am not sure if there is an accepted definition of the two terms.

I can land pin high or deep (or short) on ~350' holes on the course. Sometimes downhill slightly. Those have height and width restrictions with trees, so that 'golf line' throw is more restrained than in a wide open field. I could use exact footages, I guess...

IMO 325-350 would be a realistic, typical distance for a grouping of drives from a regular, new-ish player with some basic athletic ability and flexibility. Getting to the 400+ level takes quite a bit of dedication to building very good form.

There are a lot of serious players on here who throw much further, and probably not all of them are lying. But they're outliers for sure when you look at the disc golf community as a whole.

I'm a consistent 380-400' guy with random throws out at 425' when I'm having a good day. I would say at league nights, I'm the longest thrower on the card 9 times out of 10.

In a tournament, I'm playing MA1 and more or less average distance compared to other regular MA1 players. But nowadays Advanced is like 10-12 guys and Rec/Novice are huge.

I find it fascinating to see the differences between Am-1 today and Am-1 when I played it 22 years ago. I've never thrown much more than 300 feet, even back then, and I was a middle of the pack Am-1 player. What a difference a tenfold increase in participation, plus the advent of faster Discs and YouTube tutorials makes!

I find it fascinating to see the differences between Am-1 today and Am-1 when I played it 22 years ago. I've never thrown much more than 300 feet, even back then, and I was a middle of the pack Am-1 player. What a difference a tenfold increase in participation, plus the advent of faster Discs and YouTube tutorials makes!

There's definitely more distance now, and I think the discs are a big part of it. But course management and putting still mostly make or break a round. A lot of the Int/Rec guys can really bomb but they'll also make low percentage decisions that lead to disaster a couple times per round. Then they'll airball a bunch of 20-25 footers. Those are still the biggest differences between OK and good players in my experience.

Lol ok because being as good as Fish or MJ is an attainable goal?

Throwing drivers accurately to 350 is good enough for 95% of players

Lol relax man, I was throwing that number out as just a number. Obviously this guy wants distance, so if he can learn to throw a comet consistently far with accuracy, he's on the right path.
Although if he's already hitting 400, then 350 with a comet is certainly obtainable.

Although if he's already hitting 400, then 350 with a comet is certainly obtainable.

Eh not really. I can hit 400 and throw comets better than most and I wouldn't even bother trying to get them past 325 on a wide open field with some tailwind. Let's not pretend like that's actually feasible for normal humans

Eh not really. I can hit 400 and throw comets better than most and I wouldn't even bother trying to get them past 325 on a wide open field with some tailwind. Let's not pretend like that's actually feasible for normal humans

Ok let's not split hairs here. Point is, if you can throw a comet, or a similar touchy midrange a decent distance, then it will improve your accuracy and distance overall. No need to get into specifics.

Don't chase distance, for real. I was doing that for a couple years and the return diminishes as your form gets better and better and it could become an obsession that is never satisfied. Especially over 40. There are real physical limitations that come with age and the likelihood of injury goes up. You can spend a lot of time pushing yourself only to get injured and then spend up to a year (elbow) while that heals. If you can throw ~300' with the putter and push 400' with a distance driver and throw them pretty accurately, you are doing great. Had we started when we were kids, like the kids now are....it would be a different thing....but it is what it is.

No need to get into specifics.

you were the first one to get into specifics (ie throw a comet 350) why can't we do it now? What's so magical about throwing a comet to that specific distance that is the key to unlocking mega distance? MJ can throw a comet 350 and he's not known for huge distance.

So you're right, let's not get into specifics. :wall:

you were the first one to get into specifics (ie throw a comet 350) why can't we do it now? What's so magical about throwing a comet to that specific distance that is the key to unlocking mega distance? MJ can throw a comet 350 and he's not known for huge distance.

So you're right, let's not get into specifics. :wall:

You and I took that comment differently.

I have always believed, and others also, that if you can get a disc like a Comet to 350 (random distance, make it 325 or 400 if that helps) then your form is pretty good.

But I am not speaking for him, just my take.

I have always believed, and others also, that if you can get a disc like a Comet to 350 (random distance, make it 325 or 400 if that helps) then your form is pretty good.

I haven't finished my caffeine yet, so I apologize for the grouchy post lol

I can understand that. At the same time, throwing a comet 300+ does not guarantee being able to throw 450' or whatever number. There's too many variables to account for to make such a generic statement.

Years ago I took up throwing comets to make sure I could throw smoothly. I've pretty well mastered throwing them - both FH and BH, actually - but I've never had that 'big distance'. The potential might be there but I've never really been able to tap into whatever magic ability it is that makes a good comet thrower also a good distance thrower.

I haven't finished my caffeine yet, so I apologize for the grouchy post lol

I can understand that. At the same time, throwing a comet 300+ does not guarantee being able to throw 450' or whatever number. There's too many variables to account for to make such a generic statement.

Years ago I took up throwing comets to make sure I could throw smoothly. I've pretty well mastered throwing them - both FH and BH, actually - but I've never had that 'big distance'. The potential might be there but I've never really been able to tap into whatever magic ability it is that makes a good comet thrower also a good distance thrower.

I agree it's not a guarantee that you can throw 450'.

I can land pin high or deep (or short) on ~350' holes on the course. Sometimes downhill slightly. Those have height and width restrictions with trees, so that 'golf line' throw is more restrained than in a wide open field. I could use exact footages, I guess...

I don't have the arm to let fly with a big flex shot or a hyzer bomb, even on an open field. My distance, when I hit it, comes from using the right disc in the right situation and letting the disc do the work. For me that means throwing an understable disc on a hyzer flip, or throwing a slightly over stable disc flat and letting it fade.

Most of my shots are placement shots, I hardly ever go into a throw thinking I'm going to get big distance. I try to pick a spot that I want to hit, and focus on that. The body will follow where your mind and eyes focus.

That is why I don't like throwing in an open field, no frame of reference.

Last edited:
I'm with foxdawg. My max distance and my golf distance is pretty darn close. When I'm in a field throwing for max distance, I'm throwing hyzerflips at reasonable heights.

My longest disc needs a little room to the right, but I'm still using it several times per round on course. If I can't miss right or it is really windy, I grab something a bit more stable.

That's exactly what I was getting at. My initial "350 with a Comet" was supposed to just express the idea that throwing finesse discs accurately with (relative) distance, will improve your game overall. Take the numbers with relativity to your own game. That should be a given for any post/thread in these forums.

I'm sorry you've got a Stego up your butt, VictorB :p

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was getting at. My initial "350 with a Comet" was supposed to just express the idea that throwing finesse discs accurately with (relative) distance, will improve your game overall. Take the numbers with relativity to your own game. That should be a given for any post/thread in these forums.

I'm sorry you've got a Stego up your butt, VictorB :p

The number that you happened to pick just seems absurdly high.

Kevin Jones just did his ITB and said that he throws M4's, which are slightly faster than a Comet, up to about 380.

So you are telling someone to not worry about distance and just focus on being able to throw the distances of an athletic pro that is half their age and is considered to have elite distance.

I'm with foxdawg. My max distance and my golf distance is pretty darn close. When I'm in a field throwing for max distance, I'm throwing hyzerflips at reasonable heights.

My longest disc needs a little room to the right, but I'm still using it several times per round on course. If I can't miss right or it is really windy, I grab something a bit more stable.

I honestly don't think most people have to worry about golf lines vs open field lines since we aren't competing in Utah at the long distance competitions.

If most of us tried throwing on the max D lines that guys like Wiggins and Simon use, the disc would crap out quicker than a newb hyzer at the local pitch and putt, lol.