• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 1/27/2022: Muddy Run DGC Hole #10 Holtwood, PA

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Muddy Run DGC in Holtwood, PA

Gold 580 ft.
Silver 368 ft.

"Narnia-like grassy fairway down a wooded tunnel to a precarious green"

"Hole Ten has the heart of a succubus. Fight the temptation to try to break off large distances over the 580' length of this hole. Play controlled placement golf or you will likely be carding a double bogey or worse. Don't say I didn't warn you."

"10. Probably the toughest hole on the course. The approach to the basket is extremely challenging, even with a perfect drive off the tee. ...staying in the fairway is far more important than trying for extra distance. A first drive that finished too far left or turns right into the woods will put you in a world of trouble."

"I love this fairway. Of course, I didn't stay on it. I went into the woods right, then my scramble went into the woods left. A third shot got me back on to the fairway, but now I'm laying 3. Not wanting to throw past the pin position and down the hill, I "Sally-ed" my approach (apologies to anyone out there named "Sally"), and ended up about 60' out. An approach into the circle gave me a 6 for the hole. STILL a favorite hole, but DAMN!"

Gold Tee
a0428887.jpg

Hyzer Flip to fade either an Avenger SS or Leopard depending on the wind.

This is one hole on the course you do not want to be off the fairway. Somewhere near the short tee lines you up to the green.

Hyzer Flip to fade either an Avenger SS or Leopard depending on the wind.

This is one hole on the course you do not want to be off the fairway. Somewhere near the short tee lines you up to the green.

^ 100% agree. Probably hyzer flip to fade a Star Roadrunner for me.

The tricky approach is quite memorable. Downhill, trees to miss, basket on a ledge, and often scrambling from fairway edge or worse.

Such a fun/challenging course. Dang, I need to get out there again.

QFT.

I've only played this twice (golds both times) and I can't remember what I threw but I do recall once ending up on the right side and scrambling...bogie or double bogie can't remember that either. Other time I somehow had a perfect drive and got the birdie which I was VERY happy with.

Now I'd probably just throw a Comet or Cobra RHBH, maybe a Roadrunner. Take the par and walk away. If I'm chasing strokes for whatever reason maybe a powered up Valkyrie? It really is a scary fairway with a steep hill to the left and beyond the basket.

there's a fairway in that mess? I don't know, I can't see the forest for the trees. I can only imagine what it looks like when green.

EDIT: looks like a great hole though. One you feel like a champ if you play it right.

Lucid Escape

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is currently the highest rated course in PA. I have family in PA, may have to see how far out of the way this is.

Lucid Escape

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is currently the highest rated course in PA. I have family in PA, may have to see how far out of the way this is.

Kind of the middle of nowhere, a hour east of York , 40 minutes south of Lancaster and about 20 minutes north of the Maryland. And that is the only drawback of the park.

PD on a RHFH.

I've heard a lot about this course, but I'm never over on that side of the state to check it out.

Star Roadrunner.

Would love to play this one day.

Lucid Escape

Yes, Muddy Run (4.70) is top rated in PA and #13 in the DGCR top 20.

Depending where you are coming from, Scarboro Hills (3.79) and Mill Brook (4.13) are within 45 minutes south of Muddy Run. To the north, Klines Run (3.60) and Samuel S. Lewis (3.50 niner) are also within 45 minutes.

Solid 1.5-2 hours from Philly.

I'll add, the fall/winter photos don't do this course justice. It's very well manicured and absolutely gorgeous spring/summer

I got no business throwing from the long tee here.

Judging from all the trees in the pic, my only shot at a 3 from the short tee is control...

Buzzz... see if I can set up a quality approach.

there's a fairway in that mess? I don't know, I can't see the forest for the trees. I can only imagine what it looks like when green.

EDIT: looks like a great hole though. One you feel like a champ if you play it right.

I've played this hole 30-40 times, and the fairway is a little iffy. There's a patch of trees hanging out in the middle 200-225 feet down that can punish a shot that's just off line when both sides of the fairway are already hard and the fairway bends ever-so slightly a few times.

I'll throw A Shryke LHBH if I'm playing aggressive. An Escape or FD if less aggressive. Hoping disc pops up and pans just a little left.

The 2nd shot is a nice one, but what type of upshot you will have depends totally on tee shot. Could be throwing FH roller out of the crap on either side.

I have a playing buddy who throws RHBH roller because he says it rarely turns out worse than any other tee shot but with more possible upside.

Latest posts