• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holding the disc

Indiana574

Birdie Member
I've noticed some pros really cock there wrist back to the point the disc is touching the inside of there forearm when there driving. Is that ok to do ?

I have noticed pros doing the hand cock method too and it goes against everything I was taught. I could see how it would give the disc more spin. I would say just go try it,

Ok as long as the wrist is spring loaded and not just a hinge.

If a pro is doing it successfully doesn't that prove it's okay to do?
Ok? Sure it's ok. There are lots of pro athletes with quirky throwing motions in all different sports. But they are PRO athletes. They have better strength, coordination and balance than the vast majority of the population. Just because they can do something doesn't make it fundamentally sound or a good idea.

What the OP is asking about is fundamentally unsound. The wrist does need to bend a little, but bending it to the extreme where the disc touches the forearm may net a little extra distance, but will almost certainly result in a noticeable loss of accuracy and consistency. In addition, when I try to overcock my wrist it tends to lead to me rounding instead of pulling straight through. That may not be the case for everyone, but I definitely noticed an improvement in form when I started using a more controlled wrist cock.

In the grand scheme of things though OP, the nice thing about disc golf is that it's practically free to play and all you need to practice is an open field. Go try it out for yourself and see how it works for you.

Ok as long as the wrist is spring loaded and not just a hinge.

I've heard this a few times but still don't really understand. I get the hammer throw part but can't seem to grasp "spring loaded" is there a good explanation of this somewhere or even better yet pics or videos?

I've heard this a few times but still don't really understand. I get the hammer throw part but can't seem to grasp "spring loaded" is there a good explanation of this somewhere or even better yet pics or videos?

Went out an tryed it I had some Great shots an some bad the bad ones seemed to have to much spin resulting in a bad turnover. I only throw speed 7s an I have one xs speed 8 I think. I think it would work better for higher speed disc

Sidewinder, thanks for the vids. I've watched them multiple times and there's lot's of good info there. The visualization of the "hammer throw" has really helped. I still don't understand the "spring" versus "hinge" but really want to...

Think about a spring. It doesn't have to suck energy from somewhere to do it's job. It's a static object that does its work by resisting outside forces, then returning to it's starting position.

So you try to keep your wrist static in a neutral position. The throwing motion will provide the outside force, and your wrist's resistance will be converted into force passively.

Brad talks about it near the end of part 1 of "Snap"

Think about a spring. It doesn't have to suck energy from somewhere to do it's job. It's a static object that does its work by resisting outside forces, then returning to it's starting position.

So you try to keep your wrist static in a neutral position. The throwing motion will provide the outside force, and your wrist's resistance will be converted into force passively.

Brad talks about it near the end of part 1 of "Snap"

Thanks for trying to help. The part that I never get is that when I try to "throw the hammer" I see that (and do that) with an active wrist slinging (opening) motion. This has helped me but I'm still missing the spring part. If I was to sling a hammer for distance I would definitely actively sling with the wrist. I'm sorry to have to keep asking but I'm just still not getting it. I'm usually not this dense - LOL.

Sidewinder, thanks for the vids. I've watched them multiple times and there's lot's of good info there. The visualization of the "hammer throw" has really helped. I still don't understand the "spring" versus "hinge" but really want to...
It's the tendon bounce Brad is talking about in that vid. The wrist loads tension and unloads like a spring.

Thanks for trying to help. The part that I never get is that when I try to "throw the hammer" I see that (and do that) with an active wrist slinging (opening) motion. This has helped me but I'm still missing the spring part. If I was to sling a hammer for distance I would definitely actively sling with the wrist. I'm sorry to have to keep asking but I'm just still not getting it. I'm usually not this dense - LOL.

The wrist sling at the end of the throw is the same muscles/tendons you use as the spring, acting in the same way. But you don't want to reach max wrist extension until late in the throw, so instead of opening the wrist, you want to keep it neutral.

Go drive some nails, but keep your wrist perfectly straight the entire time. Don't actively open your wrist; don't let your wrist open or close. Like ... a 3" nail in one swing. Film it, and you'll see how much your wrist closes (probably a lot).