• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

nice job!

here's the one i made with crap laying around the garage:

IMG00831-20101006-1215.jpg

and the original thread:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22256&highlight=ghetto+basket

Actually, doesn't this thread pre-date the one you referenced?:)

My Lil' Tiki Target

This is a simple target that I made for under $10 using an old tiki torch, tire chains, a basket, an old disk (for the top), some twine, wire, and a little duct tape. I obtained a few scrap pieces of exhaust pipe from a local welding shop to hammer in the ground as placement holes. This way the target can easily be moved to various points in my backyard. It is not regulation diameter although it's height is very close. It is in fact is quite different from a standard basket. The idea is that if I can putt this target consistently and successfully, the big targets will be a breeze...and I still get the ching sound when I hit it. Best part is that you can light it up and do some night putting. :)

Attachments

• tiki target 003.jpg
    tiki target 003.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 267
how does it catch discs? looks like its just a pole with a basket in the middle. the chain assembly and top look useless. but if it works...

It's actually pretty decent for what it is, and the chains grab the discs pretty well. It's just something simple and cheap to shoot at to work on accuracy. Prior to this I was using a tree. lol. I'm in the process or making an all steel replica target all built to PDGA specs.

I thinks thats purty darn cool. Yeah if you can throw into that bucket you'll be salad throwing at regulation basket!

It's actually pretty decent for what it is, and the chains grab the discs pretty well. It's just something simple and cheap to shoot at to work on accuracy. Prior to this I was using a tree. lol. I'm in the process or making an all steel replica target all built to PDGA specs.

All steel eh?...I bet that's not going to be portable.

Handmade Basket

Hello everyone this is my second basket I have made and wanted to see what everyone thinks.

It is made from rebar and steel plates. I have seen courses with yellow baskets so I thought I would put my own twist on it and paint it Orange.
Thanks

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 343
  • middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 217
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 188
Clearly you are good with your hands, cuz the craftmanship on that thing is really nice.

That being said, If i was to have one for myself, I would want the basket way deeper, and to have the chains extend further down.

Still a sweet basket :thmbup:

Seriously impressive rebar work!
Longer chains are essential though; as it is now, a low straight shot thats an inch away from the center pole could go right through without hitting a chain.

Some longer chains and you got yourself a pretty good looking basket! Luckily thats a pretty easy fix. The chains you have there might work well as an inner layer.

Not sure about the base though, looks like it would get knocked over easy, and I doubt you could place it on a hill side without it toppling.

How does the rough texture of the rebar affect the discs? Does it chew 'em up some?

How does the rough texture of the rebar affect the discs? Does it chew 'em up some?
I can't speak for this one, but I have one that has some rebar and it does chew them up. I have chunks and gouges in several of my discs. I finally talked Santa Clause into bringing me a discatcher this past Christmas. :clap:

That base wieghs about 40 lbs and is very sturdy but a hillside would be a problem.

When I put it together for the first time with the chains i realized they where too short. I think I will end up using some of those as inner chains and get some outer chains that are longer. Or just shorten up my pole.

I got my hands on a lot of scrap rebar and this was my first basket of many. I am going to try and sell it on my trip to Oregon next week to get some money for more chains and welding supplies. What do you guys think would be a fair price?

post that in the unique/odd baskets thread and in the homemade baskets gallery. That is a unique high quality basket!

Latest posts