• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

I can't speak for this one, but I have one that has some rebar and it does chew them up. I have chunks and gouges in several of my discs.

My first thought for quick-fix solution to this would to be plastic-dip or that spray/paint on truck bed liner.

What do you guys think would be a fair price?

If you were to add another outer layer of chains, it'd be worth at least $100-150 to the right person imo. Great practice basket for the yard, but I'm much too lazy to haul something like this around. Can you disassemble it much?

Building my very own basket...

A facebook post last night scored me a free bike for rims, and I had a pole stashed away for when I got to building this, and I just found 18 feet of 1/4" chain in my old man's shop... more pics to come as I get it finished, but here is how I stand... no money invested yet. :thmbup:

(The nice yellow one is my local course baskets, he made them himself and they are real nice :D)

Will be getting more chain soon (when I can source is cheaper...) and the base is on its way (finance's fathers invention, an umbrella stand that sticks into the ground, also free) prob going to use a cutoff 45 gallon drum for the basket.

don't mind my goober welds... lol

anyone have any good ways to attach the chain to the spokes without it sliding?

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
you could use some hard plastic tubeing (split down lenghtwise) and small metal hooks (to hold the chains inbetween the plastic pieces).

I figured it out. I'm going to zip tip tight to the rip part (not spokes). I have it tied up for now for basket placement, which I'm working on this afternoon and finding a stand!

I figured it out. I'm going to zip tip tight to the rip part (not spokes). I have it tied up for now for basket placement, which I'm working on this afternoon and finding a stand!

Try a christmas tree base for the stand. I had an old one that worked really well for my Frankenbasket.

any sort of umbrella base with a side set screw would be perfect as the screw will be the pinch point between it and the pole keeping, it in place

Havent found an umbrella stand yet, but we played on it last night :D

Attachments

• 206896_10150189578344274_503364273_8360158_1494341_n.jpg
    206896_10150189578344274_503364273_8360158_1494341_n.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 195842_10150189579544274_503364273_8360178_728621_n.jpg
    195842_10150189579544274_503364273_8360178_728621_n.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 118
Necessity... mother... you got it!

haha. I've got some more pics of the top, I zip tied everything so it would look nicer last night. Hopefully I'll get my stand this weekend and then it'll be done!

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 49
Mine is finally done! I'm super happy with how it turned out, we're going to bring it out to the field tomorrow and give it a proper test. I may have to cut it down a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 157
Mine is finally done! I'm super happy with how it turned out, we're going to bring it out to the field tomorrow and give it a proper test. I may have to cut it down a little bit.

That is sweet! Good job! I need to get a photo of mine in this thread...but yours came out great!

I think I'm going to mimic the Chris Wilson basket, which many of you know about:
http://kcdg.yikesite.com/products/baskets

I was perusing the various chains at Lowes - the cheapest ones, anyway.
At $0.60/ft is the yellow double loop poly coated. They also had #8 plastic chain, at $0.76/ft. The plastic would be lighter and quieter, not sure if it would change the experience.

Note that I'm a complete newbie (played twice so far) and have a small yard, so this would just be for very short putting.

They also had a 26" plastic pond for about $12 (less work than the tubing to form a basket) and a fence post for around $11. I just need to find an old bicycle wheel for the top!

Anyway, curious about the chains and am looking for any thoughts on one type versus the other. Thanks!

Here is my basket I made. I found an old plastic drum in the yard, It was an old compost barrel that had a stearing wheel connected to it to turn the soil. I called on a friend to get an old bike rim and we were in business.

I cut the drum bottom off for the basket.
8ffeb983.jpg

b9bec9d1.jpg

then put the rim on top with some #8 plastic chain. it was only $10.
d827e324.jpg

I did find the plastic chain doesn't work very good. I think I am going to put another group of chain in the inside.

I think I'm going to mimic the Chris Wilson basket, which many of you know about:
http://kcdg.yikesite.com/products/baskets

I was perusing the various chains at Lowes - the cheapest ones, anyway.
At $0.60/ft is the yellow double loop poly coated. They also had #8 plastic chain, at $0.76/ft. The plastic would be lighter and quieter, not sure if it would change the experience.

Note that I'm a complete newbie (played twice so far) and have a small yard, so this would just be for very short putting.

They also had a 26" plastic pond for about $12 (less work than the tubing to form a basket) and a fence post for around $11. I just need to find an old bicycle wheel for the top!

Anyway, curious about the chains and am looking for any thoughts on one type versus the other. Thanks!

The double loop stuff is what i made mine with. Just be careful because that chain will EAT UP on dx and pro d plastic. Premium plastic is unaffected though. Just a warning brah!