• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

I have to thank my brother in law for this one - best xmas gift. ever.
The cost to make was next to nothing. His wife made us a number sign that attaches on the top.

Extremely mobile!

this looks so nice, probably the best I've seen on here. But how could it possibly cost "next to nothing" to build? That looks like a 300-400 dollar project.

This is what some of my buddies and I came up with. We went to tractor supply with an idea, and just picked up parts we thought would work. You should have seen the girl cutting 30 some chains for us.
523449_10100600612125371_9000085_52317533_905884.jpg

We're relatively happy, balcony shots are badass..

I can't take credit for this one, it's my buddies design. We are using them to build a private course. I will say cost of materials on this is well under 75 bucks...most of that was the chain. It works VERY well too...although we're working on an alternative to zip ties for parts of it.

01211295171100.jpg

you could thumb through this thread all day for ideas to make a new basket, i think im gonna turn a barbecue grill into one tomorrow

SSPX0185.jpg

Ended up using a car tire for the basket (though that post about getting another bike rim was enticing but I just thought it would be a lot of work for a possibly flimsy basket (would look pretty cool though)). Catches great, just have to mess with a few little measurements and tweak it a bit and it will be pretty much a regulation basket...

Cheers

Attachments

• SSPX0185.jpg
    SSPX0185.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 166
SSPX0185.jpg

Ended up using a car tire for the basket (though that post about getting another bike rim was enticing but I just thought it would be a lot of work for a possibly flimsy basket (would look pretty cool though)). Catches great, just have to mess with a few little measurements and tweak it a bit and it will be pretty much a regulation basket...

Cheers

Looks good. I very successfully used tires for my baskets, too. And with the right size tire, mine are built to regulation specs. You can see the twins in post #133 and #289 if interested.

SSPX0185.jpg

Cheers

Looks really good! I'm about to start my own this week and this is full of good ideas.

American Pickers Basket

IMG_20120520_150809.jpg

The guy who used to own our house left big piles of trash in the woods around our place. So, I found a bunch of stuff I thought would make a good catcher in all the misc. garbage. I added some scrap wood and branches. The only cost was the screws to hold it together.

Materials:
2 small sections on 2x4 (not shown)
18" of a thick oak branch
Old drum of a washing machine (28" in diameter)
30" of a skinny cedar branch (anchored to another piece of 2x4)
14" square of plywood
Basketball rim
Dog Chain cut into sections
Pieces of rusty fence to fill in the gaps of the chain

I putted at it for about an hour yesterday and it's holding up pretty well!

$68 and 6 hours later this is my basket. My dad and I built it. Looks good in my backyard. I'm still going to paint it. It has 18 chains. I should of made it 24. 12 outer and 6 inner. This was our first attempt.

basket.jpg

Last edited:
$68 and 6 hours later this is my basket. My dad and I built it. Looks good in my backyard. I'm still going to paint it. It has 18 chains. I should of made it 24. 12 outer and 6 inner. This was our first attempt.

basket.jpg

You can stiil add chains (and I think you should IMO).
Looks great! :clap:

You can stiil add chains (and I think you should IMO).
Looks great! :clap:

Thanks. Yes I'm going to add a few more. Make it 24. So far it seems great. Luckily I have up to 75 ft of space to throw putts. Hopefully this will improve my game.

May as well put mine in here as I just finished it today. I based it on a Discatcher, but without that irritating sheet metal band, and an old style Mach III with some of my twists put in. I made it to come apart in 3 pieces. I also made it to where you didn't need bolts or hardware to hold it together....gravity does just fine. It doesn't weigh much...no idea exactly how much. It is heavy enough you can wail on it with really hard throws and it won't fall over. :thmbup: I cold galv'd this one with some really good industrial stuff. I use this stuff on handrails and it looks good for years.

This is my second model. The first was OK, but I made some errors in the basket and materials that I wanted to correct. I have a lot of guys that want me to build them some, so who knows....I may just start building them to sell. Will have to see about that one.
Dude I would be proud to buy one of those and have it in my backyard! Looks legit! :thmbup:

A friend and mys' first homemade basket we made this weekend.

Kind of a mix between an Innova DISCatcher with the wide band around the top and the chain layout of a Mach III. Top chain support and bottom of basket are taken from a 55 gallon drum. 2in galvanized pipe threads into the bung hole (har har) from the drum so the whole thing comes apart and fits inside the basket. Painted and decaled using tricks learned from the disc dyeing forum. :D

Taken apart before painting.

~55 feet of 2/0 chain, 12 outer and 12 inner.

Still working on ideas for a base for it.

^^^One of, if not, the best home made baskets I've ever seen.

Bottom base idea; find a porch umbrella base that the pipe can slide into, or over, and then drill a hole or two in the base pipe and the basket pipe, run a 4 in I-screw through both holes and then use a wing nut to screw it tight in order to keep the base and basket poles connected.