• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Horror Stories of the Course

little oz

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Not just a bad round, but something worse. Robbed while playing? Attacked by a Moose? Pursued by Mimes? Mine happened as i was playing a solo round on a local course. I played through a group and was running to retrieve my disc when my foot slotted into a loop of barbed wire that came up out and back in to the ground in a perfect snare. Slammed to the ground, cracked a couple of ribs, which is no big deal. Got to the car and drove home. While walking into the house my leg audibly snapped. Dislocated ankle, fractured tibia and fibula and shredded all of my tendons. Surgery, 6 weeks of bed rest, 11 months of PT and counting. Thank god it didn't happen in the backcountry!

Yeah nope, nothing on that level.

Really not many or any horror stories related to being on the course. You bring up robberies - I have a story that is a funny one. In my first year playing, way back in aught-five, a kid tried to bicycle up to a drive on of my group had thrown and take off with it. Something that happens infrequently but occasionally at that particular course to this day. This kid, however, chose the wrong group. As a newb my entire group of friends that I golfed with were active high school and college cross country runners (including a guy who ran a 15:45 5K that year, and two others who ran sub-2:00 800M). Needless to say - he got spooked after about two blocks when he couldn't shake a mob of 5 people chasing and yelling at him.

This has the potential to be an ugly thread, but I hope you heal up completely, Oz.

In 1990ish a group of 3 methed-out thugs attempted to roll my threesome at Highland Road Park in Baton Rouge. That didn't work out so well for them. One of my playing partners was quite proficient at brawling it turns out. The punks retreated quickly never to return, and we finished our round in peace.

About 15 years ago someone who is very well-liked in the Seattle community was attacked by a group of local thugs on pocket bikes at Seatac. He was playing alone, and they beat him up and stole his bag. Seatac is in the hood if you know what I mean, but it seems to have really calmed down.

Thank god it didn't happen in the backcountry!

You said it. People often don't know what's on the line until they've left their car and walked for three days. There's no ambulance coming. You walk out or the people around you carry your ass out, or walk out and send a helicopter that will arrive about 4 days.

Holey Crap! That's awful, lil_oz. I hope you have a full recovery.

Not me, but a friend. He was in a tournament and overnight someone stole his discs/bag from his truck. People at the tournament helped out and got him set up. But then on the drive home, one of his wheels falls off while going 65 MPH. He went to put the spare on and found the locking lug nut key was missing from his glove box....so it appears that not only did someone steal all his discs/bag, they loosened his wheel, so it would come off while he was driving. Luckily he wasn't hurt. But who does that kind of thing?

It's no broken leg, but I was attacked by a small swarm of bees while searching for a Valkyrie at Heckscher Forest on Long Island a couple years ago.

Guess I'm blessed.

Pretty sure my most horrific experience was shanking a shot into a homeless camp and having to play my next shot and retrieve my disc from the middle of their makeshift dwelling. It was genuinely gross.

It's no broken leg, but I was attacked by a small swarm of bees while searching for a Valkyrie at Heckscher Forest on Long Island a couple years ago.
this is my horror story too; hit a tree with a nest inside, set my bag down at the disc & started lining up the shot, then the swarm hit me & followed me around; stung 9 times, the one on the top of my head hurt the worst. i ran upwind thinking they wouldn't follow, but i think they followed my scent

Last edited:
Nothing bad happened to me, just embarrassing.

Playing an empty course and this lady is sitting on a towel reading a book on the fairway. She sees me and gets up, to let me throw, but leaves her stuff. I throw my tee shot and it skips hard left and knocks over her drink all over all her stuff.

On the tee box getting ready to drive when we hear 2 riders on motorcycles start street racing. We can see the street from the tee box. Just before they come into view we hear them get off the throttle and also hear metal scraping pavement. One guy flies past our field of view and then shortly the other arrives, sliding on the pavement with his bike on its side. He crossed the intersection of a side street and his bike hit the curb on the other side and flipped him up, over the street sign. He landed in the weeds and didn't move so we dropped our gear and ran over to see if there was anything we could do. There wasn't, he didn't survive. None of us felt like finishing the round.

On the tee box getting ready to drive when we hear 2 riders on motorcycles start street racing. We can see the street from the tee box. Just before they come into view we hear them get off the throttle and also hear metal scraping pavement. One guy flies past our field of view and then shortly the other arrives, sliding on the pavement with his bike on its side. He crossed the intersection of a side street and his bike hit the curb on the other side and flipped him up, over the street sign. He landed in the weeds and didn't move so we dropped our gear and ran over to see if there was anything we could do. There wasn't, he didn't survive. None of us felt like finishing the round.

Definitely not a nice situation, but I did give it a nice.
As a State Trooper for 25 years I saw a lot of dead bodies, mostly from car accidents...NEVER nice.

I think the worst for me was playing a course just outside of Harrisburg, PA (this was many years and pounds ago), and I went to retrieve my disc from the edge of the creek (it was OB but maybe by about a yard). Unbeknownst to me, when I slid down the embankment to the creek, I slid on some poison. Now normally I break out in small rashes at poison ivy, but this must have been oak or sumac. I broke out a day later so bad that I needed antibiotics and a few days off of work. I just couldn't stop the pus. I don't wish that on anybody.

Not really horror, but things that make you go...what now?

A course my co-workers and I play often, when in the area, seems to be THE place to take pictures. Engagement, senior, family, newborn, etc. pictures. An usually in the first or second fairway, sometimes near the 18th basket. Played that course 10 times and more than half, we've seen (or had to throw around) picture takers.

Not remotely in the same league, but I got a bit cocky when my disc landed in a somewhat thin briar patch. I thought I could get in and out without getting too tangled up. I was very wrong. Legs looked I had been attacked by a pack of feral cats.

Holy schnikeys!!
You win!
Nothing that has happened to me can top that.

Ditto. I've had incurred a few minor injuries on the course, some of which were the result of particularly clumsy and/or embarrassing moves on my part.* :eek:

But never anything that that couldn't be handled with some peroxide, antibiotic ointment, and some bandages, or a few days of rest.

*To that end, a few years ago, I started accepting that I'm simply not as agile as I used to be. Now, I'm more likely to walk around obstacles like fallen trees, etc, than stepping or climbing over them like I used to - specifically in hopes so I don't have to add to this thread.

Round these parts... in tourneys before covid times... we hand out the;

Smooth Move Award

To the person incurring the largest injury or stupidity on the tourney weekend... its been gi ven to people who broke ankles, fell of teepad... this one time...

There was a guy who lost his license drinking and driving on Friday, Saturday night he was hitching a ride with his buddy.. Who got pulled over, possibly under the influence haha, so he strips naked and runs down the street... the cops leave his buddy alone and chase him down the road. He spends the night inthe drunk tank and his buddy doesn't get a DWI

Latest posts