• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Horror Stories of the Course

Playing Sunday doubles, we're walking to our starting hole and this dude comes cruising by on a longboard. He hits some rocks and stiffly flies through the air. No tuck and roll, it was clear he had no experience falling. Lands with a dull thud and starts whimpering. When he stands, his arm is just dangling. Found out later he broke his collarbone.

Playing Sunday doubles, we're walking to our starting hole and this dude comes cruising by on a longboard. He hits some rocks and stiffly flies through the air. No tuck and roll, it was clear he had no experience falling. Lands with a dull thud and starts whimpering. When he stands, his arm is just dangling. Found out later he broke his collarbone.

Most common broken bone in the body.

HEY.....I got a ticket outside Baraga back in the day, was that you!!!!! :mad:

Nope! :D
I never worked Baraga County. Houghton, Keweenaw, Delta & Schoolcraft only throughout the years.
Plus 4 years in Oakland County. I nailed a motorcycle at 116mph near Pontiac...was that you Bogey?

I never worked Baraga County. Houghton, Keweenaw, Delta & Schoolcraft only throughout the years.
Plus 4 years in Oakland County. I nailed a motorcycle at 116mph near Pontiac...was that you Bogey?

LOL...it was 30+ years ago anyway. Guy was really cool. Scared the bejesus out of me though. He had me get out of the car and sit in the front seat of the cruiser, it was really raining out. He showed me the radar reading and wrote out my ticket while we chatted. Only REALLY scary part was the one hitter in my front flannel pocket and the canine in the back of the cruiser. :eek::eek::eek:

I have pretty long hair thats usually tied up and I bent down in a briar patch to grab my disc and I guess I brushed my head against some burrs.

Needless to say, I spent the next 5 minutes cursing and attempting to get these burrs out that somehow knotted up in my hair and would basically break apart when I'd try to pull them out making them splinter more pieces into my hair.

All that trouble to bag a very, very bad 9 hole church course too.

Took me a while to find this DGCR classic, but...

Y'all gotta check out this thread:
Warning: not faint of heart.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1734847#post1734847

^ That's called avulsion. A buddy's friend of mine ran from the cops years ago and tried to hop a fence with a ring on. Ring got caught on fence and that's pretty much the aftermath.

Last edited:

Never been on two wheels I wasn't pedaling.

^ That's called avulsion. A buddy's friend of mine ran from the cops years ago and tried to hop a fence with a ring on. Ring got caught on fence and that's pretty much the aftermath.

Also called a degloving. I had a patient in my first few years of nursing with a similar injury. They were able to retrieve the "glove" and reattach it to the finger. A fairly involved surgery, that was partially successful. They were able to restore arterial flow to the reattatched tissue, but were struggling getting the old blood back out. We eventually brought in some medical leeches to attach to the finger every four or six hours. The girls on the floor flipped out. I mean these nurses are baddasses, they deal with unimaginable things, but the leeches were out of the question. I was like, heck...this is just ice fishing. She did pretty well with the finger and was discharged a week later or so.

On a day I could not get off work early my buddies played at Buckhorn DGC. As they were coming back to the parking lot between rounds they saw what they thought was a wildfire in the woods by Hole 0 tee pad. When they went over to try to put the fire out they discovered it was caused by a woman that committed suicide by self immolation. They described the incident as sounding and smelling like bacon cooking. I no longer eat bacon.

On a day I could not get off work early my buddies played at Buckhorn DGC. As they were coming back to the parking lot between rounds they saw what they thought was a wildfire in the woods by Hole 0 tee pad. When they went over to try to put the fire out they discovered it was caused by a woman that committed suicide by self immolation. They described the incident as sounding and smelling like bacon cooking. I no longer eat bacon.

It is going to be very, very hard to top this.

LOL...it was 30+ years ago anyway. Guy was really cool. Scared the bejesus out of me though. He had me get out of the car and sit in the front seat of the cruiser, it was really raining out. He showed me the radar reading and wrote out my ticket while we chatted. Only REALLY scary part was the one hitter in my front flannel pocket and the canine in the back of the cruiser. :eek::eek::eek:

Reminds me of a Keller Williams song.

It is going to be very, very hard to top this.

Making it even better, after my buddies called the police, they got to be interviewed for a couple of hours while the cops matched all park goers to their cars. As I mentioned, this was after they had enjoyed their first round of (beverages) golf. Talk about the ultimate buzz kill.

46YearOldSlinger knows. He was there.

I posted that story somewhere on dgcr also so I can vouch for the accuracy. I actually had a vehicle broken into in that parking lot and a couple of crates of disc stolen 2 days before the "fire".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A book I read years ago had a scene where a witness to a "witch"-burning was made uncomfortable by the fact that the smell...reminded him of dinner.

I've often said it: I'm sure our human meat is at least as tasty as that of a cow or a pig. I mean, I hope I'm never forced to confirm it, but...a million cannibals can't be wrong...

That's horrible.

The guy who tried to commit suicide on a course while I was there slit his wrists in a snowstorm; he got euphoric afterward and made bloody snow angles. :eek: The paramedics who picked him up said the cuts were not life threatening, which...I guess you can lose a lot of blood and live because there was A LOT of blood. It was the week of the Ice Bowl and it never warmed up that week, so there was bloody ice frozen to the bench by 15's tee during the event.

Holy crap. Some of these stories...Welp the worst thing I've ever had happen to me on the DG course is I had to get a tetanus shot after scraping my shin up against some rusty barbed wire that was hidden in some tall grass. Thats nothing compared to some of the stuff on here. Yikes.

A book I read years ago had a scene where a witness to a "witch"-burning was made uncomfortable by the fact that the smell...reminded him of dinner.

I've often said it: I'm sure our human meat is at least as tasty as that of a cow or a pig. I mean, I hope I'm never forced to confirm it, but...a million cannibals can't be wrong...
sure they sound good...

I read somewhere cannibals refer to human flesh as "long pig". I assume because we taste like chicken.

Also called a degloving. I had a patient in my first few years of nursing with a similar injury. They were able to retrieve the "glove" and reattach it to the finger. A fairly involved surgery, that was partially successful. They were able to restore arterial flow to the reattatched tissue, but were struggling getting the old blood back out. We eventually brought in some medical leeches to attach to the finger every four or six hours. The girls on the floor flipped out. I mean these nurses are baddasses, they deal with unimaginable things, but the leeches were out of the question. I was like, heck...this is just ice fishing. She did pretty well with the finger and was discharged a week later or so.

If this thread were titled Horror Stories of Kindergarten Field Trips, I'd post about going out on a riverboat. A barge passes us and things get really choppy. My teacher lost her balance and ended up hooking her wedding ring on the railing of the boat as she fell to the ground. Snapped her finger right off. And into the Tennessee River.

I've been spooked by both wearing rings and handrails for the last 35 years.

Latest posts