• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How accurate are you from these distances?

If I kept track I'd have 4 answers----my putting practice percentages, my actual round percentages, my exhausted late in the round percentages, and my game-on-the-line percentages.

A graph of which would be steep enough to roll away into the 3% range.

I agree with this

Ok...ok...I know you all want to know how really awesome I am...for really reals.

8-15ft? 82%-73%
16-30ft? 62%-31%
31-50ft? 28%-5%
51-100ft? 3%-.00235%

Most people overestimate their putting skills. Im certainly an above average putter now, and its been proven in tournaments and my rating, and Im not hitting a lot of the putting percentages people here are claiming.

Exactly...this +1.

Most Int players are less than 10% from 25' and out, and most Adv players are 50% or less from that range.

I'm glad to see we have so many top level pros here. :doh:

I think I would have to tweek the distances, there is a huge difference in some of your distances. The same percentage from 16 and 30 feet?:

8-10ft 99.2%
10-15ft 52%
15-20ft 85%
20-30ft 72%
30-40 ft 52%
40-60 ft 26%
60-100ft 12%

So you make more 15-40ft than 10-15ft? Just asking to clarify?

Exactly...this +1.

Most Int players are less than 10% from 25' and out, and most Adv players are 50% or less from that range.

I'm glad to see that you are all top level pros here. :doh:

I actually kept track of my percentages from various distances last winter in an excel spreadsheet just to see if my putting practice paid off (I was doing a couple hundred putts every other night or so). My increments were 15-19ft, 20-24ft, and 25-29ft - when I stopped keeping track my percentages were roughly 82.22%, 64.14%, and 50%. The percentages always started out lower but once I got the groove and the feel down I obviously sank more putts. I varied my distance every 5 putts so it wasn't always the same putt over and over.

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you what my percentage is for the various distances in actual play since you only get to throw one putt and the conditions (mental and physical) are always changing. It all comes down to whether I'm feeling confident about my putting that day or not.

Using the 10ft increment scale...

1-10ft - 97%
11-20ft - 90%
21-30ft - 50%
31-40ft - 40%
41-50ft - 20%
51+ I typically lay up unless the game hangs in the balance

1-10 is simply a put-in-the basket situation but we all know how those go sometimes when you aren't paying attention. Between 11 and 30 ft. I can reliably push putt so the numbers are very good (IMHO anyway), but after 30ft. I have to switch to spin putting and after 40ft. my accuracy takes a dive. I'm a conservative player so after 50ft I'll usually aim to sit under the basket unless there is something stopping my disc from overshooting.

Last edited:
What percentage of shots do you make from these distances?

8-15ft?
16-30ft?
31-50ft?
51-100ft?

8-15 ft. 99% (only miss in tourneys)
16-30 ft Probably 90% at 20 feet, about 50% at 30.
31-50 feet 10%. Maybe
51-100 feet. Almost always make it in two. In fact, I can almost always make it in two shots out to about 200 feet.

No clue on my stats of the top of my head but next time I play leagues i'll keep it in mind. I would wager my percentage up to 25 is pretty high but from 25 to 32.8 is where i'll see a sharp decline to the point that I know I make more outside the circle to 40 or maybe a little further than in that range and TBH it's not even close. Really it's because I have trouble getting my weight forward at 28 feet where when I'm out side it is just so much easier to walk forward.

Just got back from playing a round on a new course with a friend of mine who hadn't played in about 10 years. He was draining putts from everywhere like it was nothing, and I two-putted every single time from 15' and out. It was ridiculous. I don't know what you would call someone who is the opposite of a putting savant, but whatever that would be, I'm it. I bought a basket to put in my back yard so I could practice a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure I've actually gotten worse since I got it... :wall:

I think I would have to tweek the distances, there is a huge difference in some of your distances. The same percentage from 16 and 30 feet?:

8-10ft 99.2%
10-15ft 52%
15-20ft 85%
20-30ft 72%
30-40 ft 52%
40-60 ft 26%
60-100ft 12%

I would go with Prube's distances, just a little different percentages

8-10ft 99.1%
10-15ft 51%
15-20ft 81%
20-30ft 71%
30-40 ft 51%
40-60 ft 26%
60-100ft 11%

Why did you choose distances less than mine.

wow a lot of great answers. I posed this question because I felt like I was missing way too many puts that are in the 20ft range but after reading the responses I guess this is what makes most of us amateurs and not pros.

My next question is:

When you are putting do you try to bury the disc in the middle of the chains on a straight line?

When I put from more than 10 feet away I throw a hyzer that falls into the basket more than into the chains. The problem I find is that I end up hitting the outside of the basket and 2 or 3 putting when I probably shouldn't be. If I try to throw straight into the chains I miss and next thing I know I am 10 feet away again or 40 feet away after it rolls down the hill. I live in Pittsburgh where we have few flat courses.

A few of Sloppy's very unprofessional and unproven putting points:

If you are going to try a putt, try a putt. Go for it. No thoughts of a miss. If you have even one thought of shanking it, lay it up. You already missed. Sissy.

If 10' is your comfort zone you need more practice. You should be able to miss a putt with 30-maybe 100' without worrying about the next putt.

Practice, practice, practice. And with multiple putters, not during a round of golf.

Good luck, and keep putting.

during putting practice i am at 99% at 10, 95% at 15, 80% at 20 and 20% at 30, one thing i do different then most people i have seen practicing is i take each putt from a different distance, it prevents the "groove" effect from skewing the percentages, my percentages definitely increase if i take multiple shots from the same distance in a row....

Sorry for the 12 year bump

My best guesstimate:

8-10ft: 90%
10-15ft: 40%
15-20ft: 30%
20-30ft: 20%
30-40ft: 10%
40-60ft: 3%
60-100ft: 1%

Sorry for the 12 year bump

My best guesstimate:

8-10ft: 90%
10-15ft: 40%
15-20ft: 30%
20-30ft: 20%
30-40ft: 10%
40-60ft: 3%
60-100ft: 1%

Not to be rude but you really need to practice and get these numbers up. Most putting practice areas I have played start at 10 feet and move out 5 feet per spot. As bad as I am, I never miss from 10 or 15 feet and rarely ever miss a 20-footer. Now on a real course with elevation change and baskets near trees, my odds may go down a bit. But on the flat and wide-open, you need to hit everything under 20 feet. Then you will improve your longer putts because you won't be concerned about flying by the basket by 10-15 feet. I have friends who always try to land their approach right under the basket so they have drop-ins. But this also means that they never hit a putt in the 20-50 foot range because they never try to (because they are worried about the come back). Of course, if the basket is on a ridge or a mound or otherwise elevated, then I will try to land at its foot.

Not to be rude but you really need to practice and get these numbers up. Most putting practice areas I have played start at 10 feet and move out 5 feet per spot. As bad as I am, I never miss from 10 or 15 feet and rarely ever miss a 20-footer. Now on a real course with elevation change and baskets near trees, my odds may go down a bit. But on the flat and wide-open, you need to hit everything under 20 feet. Then you will improve your longer putts because you won't be concerned about flying by the basket by 10-15 feet. I have friends who always try to land their approach right under the basket so they have drop-ins. But this also means that they never hit a putt in the 20-50 foot range because they never try to (because they are worried about the come back). Of course, if the basket is on a ridge or a mound or otherwise elevated, then I will try to land at its foot.

Anytime anyone starts a post like this, you know it's going to be rude. lol.

Dude wasn't asking for advice, maybe he was just participating in a fun 12 year old thread.

Anytime anyone starts a post like this, you know it's going to be rude. lol.

Dude wasn't asking for advice, maybe he was just participating in a fun 12 year old thread.

If he's only making 40% from 15 feet, he needs to work on that. I don't know if that's rude or not, but it is factual.

Latest posts