• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How accurate are you from these distances?

Anytime anyone starts a post like this, you know it's going to be rude. lol.

Dude wasn't asking for advice, maybe he was just participating in a fun 12 year old thread.
Yes, i was.
I know I'm terrible but i've only been playing DG for less than a year, effectively, based on how infrequently I go to the course. Just a couple weeks ago I finally figured out how to grip the disc when throwing tee shots & broke the 200 ft barrier for the 1st time. There's so much to learn in this game and progress is very slow when you play as little as I do.

Yes, i was.
I know I'm terrible but i've only been playing DG for less than a year, effectively, based on how infrequently I go to the course. Just a couple weeks ago I finally figured out how to grip the disc when throwing tee shots & broke the 200 ft barrier for the 1st time. There's so much to learn in this game and progress is very slow when you play as little as I do.

Nice! Have fun with it, that is the important part.

My putting numbers vary, so I won't even hazard a guess, lol.

And I'm not the one to ask for advice either. I rarely take putting practice, I try to get to the course early and take multiple putts on each hole. I get bored standing around a putting basket.

Putting is what I do, wish I could be half as good off the tee. I used to do PP360's in the basement all winter, which gave me stats from 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30. I played two rounds every day in the off season (one game for stagger stance and one game for straddle stance) and missed no 10-footers and missed only 3 fifteen-footers out of like 10,000 reps. It's at 20 where I was at 90%, can't remember 25', and I make around 2/3 from 30'.

It's the 20-footers where I really focused on trying to be perfect, feeling like I SHOULD make them all but one will stupidly find the floor. I feel like if you're that good at 20' on the real course you have a big advantage especially the further down you go in amateur divisions. It means you don't have to be perfect on most upshots and you'll still get up and down when a lot of your friends competing with you are going to lose some ground, even if they're better off the tee.

Ever since hearing Gannon Buhr only practices from 30 feet, I started doing that instead of the PP360's. For starters, I felt like the 10 and 15's were a waste of my time, and it gives me more reps from out at circle's edge. I'll do 100 every day in the winter and can get into the low to mid 70% range when I'm feeling good.

I have two tournaments this year where I was perfect in the circle. That's definitely a weapon in age-protected amateur land. The copious amounts of winter practice definitely pay off. My advice is to rarely miss a day of 100 putts, and to absolutely keep religious scorekeeping and averages of them so you not only get physical reps, but also mental pressure reps too. 100 times a day getting hyped up to try and beat your average, and suddenly those real putts aren't as scary.

I'd practice that much on tee shots but it would kill me. I wish like crazy I would've had all this information back in 1997. All I could do back then was throw bomb forehands.

Last edited:
If you want to okay competitively, inside C1, you need to make your putts. Not 100%, but you should be confident enough to go for the make without concern about the miss.

Caveat would be a "death putt". Don't turn a C1 putt into 2-3 strokes.

In C2, if you give yourself a chance but limit it to a 2 putt consistently, you will probably be ok at most levels.

IMO.

Appy Polly Loggies, my droogies

Anytime anyone starts a post like this, you know it's going to be rude. lol.

Dude wasn't asking for advice, maybe he was just participating in a fun 12 year old thread.

Apologies as I truly didn't mean to be rude. And I deserve the remark about offering unsolicited advice. I presume when someone posts something they are interested in getting some kind of feedback. I recall when I was starting out that I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to throw farther rather than working on my putting. My approach game was always "okay" as I played decades of Ultimate and consequently played the short game the same way that I played "frisbee". But when I switched over to practicing more putting, that's when things got "easier" because I wasn't trying so hard to always land/stay within 6 feet of the basket. Relaxing really helped all the "earlier" parts of the game.

Yes, i was.

Putting thoughts

you want to be as consistent as possible with your form. Figure out what your max distance is with that form and pace.

If you can't use the same form at 30' as you use at 10', don't force it. It will cause problems at both distances.

In the 20-30' range, do you usually 2 putt? Or does it go beyond 15' and you are looking at a 3 putt or worse?

If you are 3 putting a lot, focus on laying up. Rather than trying to make longer putts, practice getting your disc in the bullseye. That will alleviate some stress.

Better to miss accurately than to go for it and end up with a really bad hole. It will damage your confidence.

Over time those layups will get more dialed and you may find you are making some of those, but always with the intention of not blasting way away from the basket.

At distances beyond putting form try a standstill throw.

While trying to dial in your form, nothing wrong with throwing 10x putts from 10' or 15'. Just make sure you are taking your time and working on consistent and repeatable form.

If you can practice that indoors to eliminate variables such as wind, do that.

You have one goal. Figure out how to make the 10-15' putt then carbon copy that.

Developing your putt is an incremental process. It will take time. You want to build confidence at each step.

Yes, i was.
It sounds like you *want* to get better, so I'll go ahead and join the advice-train here.

First - If you want to improve at putting despite how infrequently you go to the course, you want to get some kind of basket for home or to keep in your car for easy travel to the nearest green space. Whether its a full permanently mounted basket in your own backyard or a pop-up traveler basket that can fit snugly on the floor or in the trunk of your car - a basket is really nice to have, both for practice and added recreation.

Second - I'll link here to some thoughts I had that were posted to the former Dynamic Discs Blog....
https://blog.dynamicdiscs.com/2017/08/perfect-practice-makes-perfect.html

This post is entirely about how to create an effective practice routine. It goes over how to structure a practice routine, and where your head should be during the practice routine. It is sorta long, sorry about that. It was meant to be posted in 3 separate chunks but DD put it all into one post when they put it online.

Sorry for the 12 year bump

My best guesstimate:

8-10ft: 90%
10-15ft: 40%
15-20ft: 30%
20-30ft: 20%
30-40ft: 10%
40-60ft: 3%
60-100ft: 1%

Get a portable basket. Develop an addiction for acquiring putters. i.e. Get multiples.
Begin. Measure out some distances for c1. i.e. Start short. Work your way out. Or work your way in.
Repeat.
Get confident. This single aspect of it really does take a long **** time.

The, and another thing post.
The confident aspect is what really counts, and takes the longest. engrain the wisdom of Central Scrutinzers post. #43 for counting.
Get enough putters. i.e. at least 10. Play around with different stances. And EVERY putting style to see what works best at which distance, and for how you can begin to be able to be consistent. Because. It won't be a universal comfort thing for how you learn. Nor for what works for you, and your body. How you hold the disc. And also. All of the in real life putting circumstances.
Key aspect of putting. And all disc golf.
Habituation on a point. Whether that's a point along the discs flight, so that the disc gets to do the work for you, or the where it should be landing part. i.e. focus on that thing, and then 'Forget' about it just enough to release through. So you get the boomshanka moments.
My own accuracy for putting has come and gone, and it may be a game of it came and went with having broken my collar bone on my primary side. So I now get to learn to put left handed and try and instill my own advice. Which is also yours.
Get used to failing. And then get better.

Last edited:
The, and another thing post.
The confident aspect is what really counts, and takes the longest. engrain the wisdom of Central Scrutinzers post. #43 for counting.
Get enough putters. i.e. at least 10. Play around with different stances. And EVERY putting style to see what works best at which distance, and for how you can begin to be able to be consistent. Because. It won't be a universal comfort thing for how you learn. Nor for what works for you, and your body. How you hold the disc. And also. All of the in real life putting circumstances.
Key aspect of putting. And all disc golf.
Habituation on a point. Whether that's a point along the discs flight, so that the disc gets to do the work for you, or the where it should be landing part. i.e. focus on that thing, and then 'Forget' about it just enough to release through. So you get the boomshanka moments.
My own accuracy for putting has come and gone, and it may be a game of it came and went with having broken my collar bone on my primary side. So I now get to learn to put left handed and try and instill my own advice. Which is also yours.
Get used to failing. And then get better.

Thanks for that. Dang, you broke your collar bone? That had to be a huge long recovery process.

Latest posts