• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How big of a problem are foot faults?

Yes, you can use your thrown disc to set your lie (Assuming you're not picking it up and throwing it), or you can use a marker in front of that disc.

Flipping your disc is illegal.

That rule never made much sense to me. If you flip your disc, the spot will be the exact same as if you put down a mini. If you leave the disc where it is, you get screwed by the diameter of the disc.

That rule never made much sense to me. If you flip your disc, the spot will be the exact same as if you put down a mini. If you leave the disc where it is, you get screwed by the diameter of the disc.

Because people were cheating that way. They'd flip their disc... and then if no one was looking, fliip it again... thus gaining a whopping 8ish inches closer to the basket...

When I started about 12 years ago I was taught to do the flip and then throw behind it by all the experiences locals in Austin. Most of the times I play casual rounds with my buddies, but if we ever play for money and I bring up any rules I feel the give me the stink eye so i usually just let it go and beat their butts anyways. Lol

When I started about 12 years ago I was taught to do the flip and then throw behind it by all the experiences locals in Austin. Most of the times I play casual rounds with my buddies, but if we ever play for money and I bring up any rules I feel the give me the stink eye so i usually just let it go and beat their butts anyways. Lol

Same here - when I started in late 90's we always flipped our discs. Then when one or two of the guys started playing in sanctioned tournaments we started using minis.

Why is it harder to hit? The lie is the same size in both cases.

unless you actually practice (most players foot fault all day everyday outside of "tournament" style play and even then...LULZ) hitting the mini just adds a little more complexity to the throw vs being able to see a huge disc.

Maybe its just my black vibram mini is hard to see. :D Didn't mean the actual area is larger or anything, just mind games.

Why is it harder to hit? The lie is the same size in both cases.

The lie is the same, but its much easier to see a full-size disc in your peripheral vision than a mini. In the fairway and schule I always leave the driven disc as my marker unless I need to throw it again--for instance, #2 at Milo. But.I use minis for putting, for the closer distance, naturally.

Now, as for foot faulting, if you're trying to get as close as possible to the front edge of the tee, you're either gonna fault consistently or you will eventually injure yourself rolling your ankle off the lip of a raised tee. And if you're cranking up for an internet distance-worthy drive, starting 10-12" back from the edge makes no difference whatsoever, except to the little peabrained ego that rules many a mind (though close obstacles sometimes affect your position on the tee).

The last time I faulted a few years ago it was wet: I couldn't slow down and plant well, stepped on my wet disc and went down like a poleaxed mule, to much mirth among the card.

A little trick for AMs. Use a mini that blends in with the ground you are playing on. I always try and plant directly behind my mini but sometimes you are a little off.Everyone foot faults but this makes it less obvious. I think most ppl don't call it because they themselves do it as well. Plus, as soon as you call someone on it, you start paying to much attention to your own plant foot.
Overall, I don't think the majority of foot faults are used to gain an advantage. So I feel it's not a big issue. If you have a tricky lie and miss your plant foot spot by a foot or more, I will say something.

Overall, I don't think the majority of foot faults are used to gain an advantage. So I feel it's not a big issue.

I really, really disagree with this attitude. The advantage gained on a fairway shot is in not putting the effort into hitting your lie exactly. When someone else is putting that effort in and you don't have to, that's an advantage.

I really, really disagree with this attitude. The advantage gained on a fairway shot is in not putting the effort into hitting your lie exactly. When someone else is putting that effort in and you don't have to, that's an advantage.

I put the effort in to make sure I comply with the rules. During a tournament of I see a blatant rule infraction I am always "that guy" that mentions it. With a wide open fairway shot and the guy misses his plant foot by a few inches, I pick my battles. I am willing to take the heat for calling someone but I try and be fair in my judgement calls. Unless your standing close enough it is sometimes hard to tell if he actually foot faulted and be 100% sure. That's why unless he is blatantly or consistently doing it, I don't feel a need to get in the guys head. There are bigger issues with rule infractions than accidental foot faults that are hurting the game

Last edited:
I put the effort in to make sure I comply with the rules. During a tournament of I see a blatant rule infraction I am always "that guy" that mentions it. With a wide open fairway shot and the guy misses his plant foot by a few inches, I pick my battles. I am willing to take the heat for calling someone but I try and be fair in my judgement calls. Unless your standing close enough it is sometimes hard to tell if he actually foot faulted and be 100% sure. That's why unless he is blatantly or consistently doing it, I don't feel a need to get in the guys head. There are bigger issues with rule infractions than accidental foot faults that are hurting the game

That's a very different point from saying there's no advantage gained. There's a reasonable conversation to be had about how we handle foot faults, but saying that missing your mark doesn't confer an advantage is just plain wrong.

That's a very different point from saying there's no advantage gained. There's a reasonable conversation to be had about how we handle foot faults, but saying that missing your mark doesn't confer an advantage is just plain wrong.

Yes your right. I am usually the one that's sticks the most closely to the rules or makes comments to players about infractions almost every time I play , casually or in tournies. I caddied for a guy and told the other players during a break, if I was playing I would stroke everyone for "smoking". Tourney director said no smoking due to the fire danger. So I'm not afraid to call ppl on rule violations. You are technically right but every player has to make that judgment call for themselves. I'm sure the game will grow enough where foot faults become a huge issue, until we fix the other major issues, it's still not something that's at the top of my list to call ppl on, unless consistently done or blatant.

Why don't we just change to a stand and throw for everything but tee shots. Then stance violations would be much easier to monitor

A little trick for AMs. Use a mini that blends in with the ground you are playing on. I always try and plant directly behind my mini but sometimes you are a little off.Everyone foot faults but this makes it less obvious. I think most ppl don't call it because they themselves do it as well. Plus, as soon as you call someone on it, you start paying to much attention to your own plant foot.
Overall, I don't think the majority of foot faults are used to gain an advantage. So I feel it's not a big issue. If you have a tricky lie and miss your plant foot spot by a foot or more, I will say something.
*buys camo mini, loses it first round*

Since we're educating in here:

20111207-142000.jpg