• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How deep should a Payout Be?

How Deep Should Payouts Be for each division

• Just payout the winners

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • top 10%

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • top 25%

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • top 33%

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • top 50%

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Other...please explain

Votes: 13 8.3%

• Total voters
I say top quarter. That way people that are kind of in the middle of the division, actually have a solid chance at maybe winning some cash.

Other: I'm not a big fan of tournaments that have pay outs . I like one day, charity tournaments under the PDGA's "charity endowment program". These are awesome, no player pack, no pay out, small entry all going for fees and charity and doesn't take up your entire weekend. These are the most fun tournaments I've ever had. Perfect. :)

Always been a fan of top third.

Top third in pro divisions, working down towards top half for rec/intermediate. I'm a fan of deep payouts to the lower AM fields with the reasoning that if you want a sizable prize for winning a division, you really should be playing Advanced or higher.

Pros: 33%-40%
Ams: 0% - but they get a really nice players pack. I'd also make a budget division for Recreational with a basic players pack.

But if you absolutely insist on having an Am Payout
Advanced: 40%-50% like a standard payout where higher positions get more merch, 1st place gets trophy.
Intermediate: Players in the top 50% win a flat prize merch equivalent to the value of their players pack, 1st place gets trophy.
Recreational/Novice: Get an extra nice players pack and no payout. 1st place gets trophy.

Can't say my idea would be popular, but that's how I'd do it.

top 1/4, merch ok in lower divisions but only if good chunk if going toward local course maint/improvement.

For Pro it should be top 25%. This way you keep the payout for them pretty large, and they can get their money back plus more if they do well.

For am I think the idea of having them play at the same tournaments is to fill out the field and let them have fun. Advanced players should be like the development league, of any other pro sport. So I agree with a top 33% payout. This would keep the payout large enough for advanced to be worth playing. The others, I agree that the winner shouldn't get a huge amount, and you want people to keep coming back and keep trying their best. So you want to pay as many people as you can. So I agree with a 50% should get something. But small. Take out the costs for a trophy, and the players pack.

I really like the idea of decent sized player packs for am 2/3 then prizes for top 1/3 of am1, should kill most of the Bagging in 2 and 3.
Plus unless you're the winner of your division the only real memory of the dozen or so tournaments you play as an am 2/3 a summer is the tourney stamped player pack disc.
^ my Mt pleasant Jbird open Z surge SS is hands down the best addition to my bag this year :)

Other. I don't like payouts, especially for Ams. It's disc golf, not poker. Get a sweet players pack and trophies for the top three. Sandbagging becomes much less of an issue if there's no money involved...

Even though I will be doing payouts for the C tier I'm directing, I think payouts should be reserved for Pro, A tier and NT events. C and B tier should get a sweet players pack and a trophy disc for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.

I just want folks to know that our local club's tournies will be something to look forward to and next year I'm planning on upping it from a C tier to an A tier (provided I get the extra 1500.00 added cash).

But I vote top 33%

I would pay at least the top 1/3 of the pros, maybe more.

I have no problem with ams not cashing, provided they recieve a nice players package, or at least a disc, and mabye some trophies for the bigger events.

I actually wouldn't mind not having a payout for rec and the lower am divisions as long as they get a sweet players pack, most of them would still play cuz it wouldn't be a total lose, the only tournaments i have played in there was no players pack, but they paid out to like 50% of the rec field, so i had a pretty good chance of getting my money back.
So for the lower divisions I like the less of a payout amount, but to more people to keep them coming back and improving, but reducing the baggers cuz they aren't making much, but the 33% for the higher divisions.
I am a money conscious college kid, so I prefer the feeling that I have a really good shot at getting my money back, or something remotely close to that value.

I hate payouts to lots of players. So what if half the field got $10, that means the top 3 guys get screwed, and they are the ones who deserve the most. I say top 10%. The top 3 players should get big prizes.

Forget the % and just reward top 3. Spend some of the cash on nice player packs(shirts, custom stamps..etc) and the rest should go to the a TD to do with what he sees fit.

The problem with shallow payouts is it encourages bagging. Deep payouts encourage you to move up. I mean, if you get nearly as much for taking 8th in Advanced as first in Intermediate, might as well move up.

The problem with shallow payouts is it encourages bagging. Deep payouts encourage you to move up. I mean, if you get nearly as much for taking 8th in Advanced as first in Intermediate, might as well move up.

I think most people would still rather win, then get 8th, no matter the payout.

I hate payouts to lots of players. So what if half the field got $10, that means the top 3 guys get screwed, and they are the ones who deserve the most. I say top 10%. The top 3 players should get big prizes.

Why?

Why do they "deserve" it? What about winning a disc golf tournament "deserves" rich rewards? Especially when choosing a lower division than they could otherwise enter---you shoot 30 strokes worse than a non-cashing Open player, and deserve to be rewarded?

I can live with payouts to Ams, even large payouts to Ams, but I have a hard time seeing how they're "screwed" if they don't get them.

am·a·teur
[am-uh-choor, -cher, -ter, am-uh-tur]
–noun
a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Compare professional.

an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.

a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity: Hunting lions is not for amateurs.

Disc golf is about the only sport I've been a part of where amateurs expected prize money. Take the plastic -- it can be sold to someone else if you don't want it (I know of a site that has a thriving Marketplace available ;) )

Latest posts