• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Did You Get Rid of Off Axis Torque?

vdWcontact

Hi all,

I'm sorry to make a new thread about this but I've done a little searching and feel like a little more info on this will help me a lot.

When I changed from using a fan grip for all my throws to using a power grip, I noticed that I was turning all of my discs over. However, the only discs I can throw with a power grip that don't turn into cut rollers (assuming I am throwing at 80% or more power) are my distance drivers (Thunderbird and PD). A little searching confirmed that my new grip had given me a serious problem with OAT. The disc flutters as it leaves my hand, which in my eyes is one of the signature symptoms.

I'm hoping y'all could post stories of having OAT problems, and fixing them. Anything else that you think would be helpful is of course appreciated, but I'm really looking for some case studies and drills to try this weekend.

Thanks a ton in advance, I will post video and/or pics of my grip if you want, but please share YOUR story with OAT if you have one.

Common wobble issues:

1. Swing plane is not consistent with the disc angle. For example, you bring the disc into the power zone on an anhyzer angle, but throw it on a hyzer line. (Also see #3)

2. Grip. You want the disc to line up with your forearm when you're holding it.
Back swing:
reachbackMax.JPG

Entering power zone:
6117423507_ee1198e3a4.jpg

Extension / Hit:
20131012214524_fn1602.jpg

3. Make sure your follow through is the same angle as the disc.

mMoDRSH.gif

To add to the swing plane point....your spine should also be in the correct position to throw flat, hyzer or anhyzer...if its not you'll never have a consistent swing plane, you will always be fighting your body when you pull through which produces oat.

1) Go buy an Elite X Comet.
2) Keep throwing it until you don't flip it over.

this is exactly what I did. You have to be patient and realize that it's not going to work overnight, but it will cure what ails you.

I don't know anything about this disc but I assume it's something understable that would normally cut roll with any amount of OAT? If that's the case do you think I could do this with a KC Pro Roc or a Leopard3? I only ask because I'd like to cure this ailment without buying a disc that I already essentially have in my bag.

I don't know anything about this disc but I assume it's something understable that would normally cut roll with any amount of OAT? If that's the case do you think I could do this with a KC Pro Roc or a Leopard3? I only ask because I'd like to cure this ailment without buying a disc that I already essentially have in my bag.

There is no other disc like the Comet.

Never had OAT, 'cause I grew up throwing real Frisbees, esp. Ultimate molds[which I was hyzer-flipping in the late '70s to get to 85-90 yds]. I own exactly one overstable disc, a Flick for forehands, though I also fh Valkyries.

However, the only discs I can throw with a power grip that don't turn into cut rollers (assuming I am throwing at 80% or more power) are my distance drivers (Thunderbird and PD).

How far are you throwing those discs? Let's get an idea of your current distance to make sure we're giving you the best advice. I mean if you're throwing 400+ with a Thunderbird there really isn't a problem. ;)

Otherwise what helped me back in the day was advice I had from getting lessons. Act like you're throwing on a table and keep everything level during the throw. I'd also get a putter and practice releasing on a strong hyzer angle. And then gradually adjusting your wrist so the disc comes out level. Eventually you should have a better understanding how to adjust your release angle from hyzer to anhyzer. Also...s l o w d o w n.

Never had OAT, 'cause I grew up throwing real Frisbees, esp. Ultimate molds[which I was hyzer-flipping in the late '70s to get to 85-90 yds]. I own exactly one overstable disc, a Flick for forehands, though I also fh Valkyries.

Really? I've found forgetting everything I knew about throwing Frisbees was crucial to me consistently getting to 300 ft with any of my drivers.

How far are you throwing those discs? Let's get an idea of your current distance to make sure we're giving you the best advice. I mean if you're throwing 400+ with a Thunderbird there really isn't a problem. ;)

Otherwise what helped me back in the day was advice I had from getting lessons. Act like you're throwing on a table and keep everything level during the throw. I'd also get a putter and practice releasing on a strong hyzer angle. And then gradually adjusting your wrist so the disc comes out level. Eventually you should have a better understanding how to adjust your release angle from hyzer to anhyzer. Also...s l o w d o w n.

I'm stuck under 300 most of the time unless I accidentally do something right. :rolleyes:

Add me to the list of people that learned with the Elite-X Comet.

Slightly related topic: I lost my first Comet back in 2009. Last week some guy found it and called me. I laughed and told him to keep it.

Sold mine. To this shady character at the park, said he could resale OAT on the black disc market. Didn't ask any questions.

There are so many causes and fixes. I think I had 3 main issues before coming here thinking I just needed some little tweaks and finding out I was a total disaster that needed every part of my throw fixed.

For me?
Grip alignment was the first fix, I was able to get mids to fly flat most of the time with this change but was still turning putters over.
From the start I was trying to avoid the big noob hyzer I was prone to so paid extra attention to my reach back and trying to keep the disc flat and level... BUT I was guilty of the very common newbie issue of hurling my shoulder back to front and collapsing forward instead of rotating. Spine out of alignment was torquing my disc to the right. Butt swipe drill among others did wonders here as well as just slowing down.
Third was shoulder stiffness and guarding. I was finishing/following through palm up. It FELT like I was keeping the disc straight but two things were happening. By finishing palm up (besides robbing spin from my throw because the disc would just slide straight out) I was short arming not getting full extension in my arm, as well in order to follow through my whole body would be forced to kinda yank to the right.

My advice?
1. Grip work to make it comfortable and keep the disc on the same plane as your forarm
2. SLOW DOWN
3. SW22 and Shawn Clement videos on proper rotation
4. SLOW DOWN

Last edited:
There are so many causes and fixes. I think I had 3 main issues before coming here thinking I just needed some little tweaks and finding out I was a total disaster that needed every part of my throw fixed.

For me?
Grip alignment was the first fix, I was able to get mids to fly flat most of the time with this change but was still turning putters over.
From the start I was trying to avoid the big noob hyzer I was prone to so paid extra attention to my reach back and trying to keep the disc flat and level... BUT I was guilty of the very common newbie issue of hurling my shoulder back to front and collapsing forward instead of rotating. Spine out of alignment was torquing my disc to the right. Butt swipe drill among others did wonders here as well as just slowing down.
Third was shoulder stiffness and guarding. I was finishing/following through palm up. It FELT like I was keeping the disc straight but two things were happening. By finishing palm up (besides robbing spin from my throw because the disc would just slide straight out) I was short arming not getting full extension in my arm, as well in order to follow through my whole body would be forced to kinda yank to the right.

My advice?
1. Grip work to make it comfortable and keep the disc on the same plane as your forarm
2. SLOW DOWN
3. SW22 and Shawn Clement videos on proper rotation
4. SLOW DOWN

Thanks a ton this all sounds like great advice. I'll go pick up a Comet this weekend and start on some grip work.

I didn't get rid of it; I learned to control it. Still haven't quite gotten there with the left hand.

Lol, old guys. :hfive: I agree though, moving from a lid to a disc, doesn't really lead to OAT.

Comet is a terrific neutral disc to learn form on.

HyzerUniBomber has great technical advice below. I will only suggest to slow down. Smooth is long and smooth will allow you to develop good form. Good luck with your pursuit.

Thanks a ton this all sounds like great advice. I'll go pick up a Comet this weekend and start on some grip work.

I would think your leopard3 should be good enough since you had already said you didn't want to buy a new disc. I could be wrong, but since the leopard is another disc that is always mentioned as the starter/trainer learn to throw flat disc.

Latest posts