• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I throw a BUZZZ?

wolito

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
I finally bought my first BUZZZ disc yesterday after hearing all the hype on this site. In the past I had a couple of ROC's and never truly learned to throw them correctly. In fact, I actually have no mid range discs in my bag and have used my Aviar for nearly all shots under 200 feet. Basically I have not developed the skill and technique to throw mids. What type a grip are used with a BUZZZ? How hard do you throw them? What are reasonable distances it can be throw with good accuracy? Any pointer here would be helpful. Thanks.

congratulations on your purchase, a mid range is the most important disc you will own....try using a fan grip, dont power grip it. then go to a field and practice, throw it flat at first. pick a target 100ft out and put it near it over and over, then back up to 150ft and hit the target over and over, then back to 200ft etc.....i usually dont throw mine more than 225ft...for me its main purpose is accuracy, after that distance my Eagle or Teebird will be more accurate....the important thing is to practice throwing at a target....dont be afraid to use your hips...dont just use your arm motion...good luck...

Yeah, one day I was dging with my gf and I only had grabbed 5 discs to play with, 1 driver. Lost it on hole 4... so mad.

Anyway, I tried to throw my buzzzes off the tee, even my other driver (stratus) was way too understable. I was overpowering all of them, they all kicked right and never came back, I think I had like 6 double bogeys and 1 triple. NOT a good round.

But if I got a hole that's <200 or an approach shot from about 150 my buzzzes are money, spot on.

Once I got another stable driver, my game was back on. Just don't overpower it and I think you'll be fine.

I totally forgot about that site. I used to read those instruction articles all the time. I think that I will you a simular throwing technique as I use with my Aviar's but back off a bit on the power. And as always, good spin on the disc makes it fly starighter.

good info

congratulations on your purchase, a mid range is the most important disc you will own....try using a fan grip, dont power grip it. then go to a field and practice, throw it flat at first. pick a target 100ft out and put it near it over and over, then back up to 150ft and hit the target over and over, then back to 200ft etc.....i usually dont throw mine more than 225ft...for me its main purpose is accuracy, after that distance my Eagle or Teebird will be more accurate....the important thing is to practice throwing at a target....dont be afraid to use your hips...dont just use your arm motion...good luck...

I certianly do enjoy practicing in a field and like the idea of throwing at a target and just working your way back. Kind of like a putting exercise. If I could get out to 225 like you, that should be just the right amount of distance as my fairways would kick in then. Well run out to the field later and give it some throws.

also you may notice that the further out from your target you are the buzzz will take a bit more hyzer angle, not a lot, just a smidge. It's a great disc to hyzer to the bucket also, it will land soft and hyzers very predictably.

Discraft has a good video on how to shoot mid range shoots. I don't have the link but its on youtube. I appreciate the articles on discgolfreview.com, they have really helped my game, but it is also nice to have a visual.

AFAIK, the Z Buzzz will take at least 350' of power without getting squirrley. Sure they might take some hyzer to do that, but most discs (and almost all mids) do once you get to throwing that far. Being able to throw mids at full power with a power grip is an important skill to have. If you Aviar is going 200' for you I'd expect the Buzzz to work out to at least 250'.

I use a power grip most of the time with this disc and it works out pretty good. You need to put a little power on it or it won't go where you want it to.

There is no right way, only wrong ways. I like the power grip and it works well for me when driving with the buzzz. However 150ft in I like the fan grip.

If you can figure out the power grip, I get 265' straight with my 164g esp flx. For 150' and closer, I'll throw with a frisbee type grip.

AFAIK, the Z Buzzz will take at least 350' of power without getting squirrley. Sure they might take some hyzer to do that, but most discs (and almost all mids) do once you get to throwing that far. Being able to throw mids at full power with a power grip is an important skill to have. If you Aviar is going 200' for you I'd expect the Buzzz to work out to at least 250'.

Seconded. The Buzzz will take the torque if you give it the right hyzer/release. 300 feet is easily within reach of the Buzzz.

I don't know if I agree with the posts about throwing the Buzzz with a power grip. See David Feldberg's Youtube video with grip assistance. I use a modified fan grip with my mids and fairway drivers and still get a large amount of power without sacrificing accuracy.

Also, you don't have a distance cap on the Buzzz at 200' by any means. Just give it a slight hyzer at release to prevent it from going understable when you snap it hard.

The range that I usually throw it in is between 230'-320'. It will do these distances quite nicely on a straight shot or an anhyzer, but for me to get it out to 320' I can't have a low ceiling. It needs a little air under it to get its full potential glide.

As for grip, I use the birdie grip (all fingers curled under the rim except the middle is pressed flat against the plate). I've found this allows me to rip at 100% without having it turn over. With the power grip it was always questionable whether it would turn over or not and the distance was practically the same.

Also, the weight and plastic play a role in the stability of the disc. I went from a 168 X to a 178 Z, which made a world of distance as far as stability. In fact, I haven't turned the 178 Z Buzzz over once (although it's still great for anny's), whereas I really can't count the number of times I turned over my 168 X Buzzz. The 178 Z takes a full power throw much much better than the 168 X.

Wolito, what plastic and weight did you get it in and how is it flying for you?

Last edited:
Yeah, one day I was dging with my gf and I only had grabbed 5 discs to play with, 1 driver. Lost it on hole 4... so mad.

Anyway, I tried to throw my buzzzes off the tee, even my other driver (stratus) was way too understable. I was overpowering all of them, they all kicked right and never came back, I think I had like 6 double bogeys and 1 triple. NOT a good round.

But if I got a hole that's <200 or an approach shot from about 150 my buzzzes are money, spot on.

Once I got another stable driver, my game was back on. Just don't overpower it and I think you'll be fine.

Sounds like you need a heavier Buzzz.

I use, well I don't know the name of it but I use my pinky finger and my pointer finger. The middle and ring finger just sit out like a fan grip. I sue this primarily because I have really big hands and it is really awkward for me to power grip a midrange disc.

Yeah, the buzzz for me replaced my leoppard on shorter straight holes, I either throw it low and hard as hell, and it'll go mainly straight, or if it's a longer hole I will S curve it.

In a field I can get it farther than my firebird and sometimes my teebird :eek: Usually around 350

Since you just got the disc I would say that you need to throw it more to learn how YOU can throw it well. There are plenty of ideas for grips and how people throw different discs but you need to go and practice, not play a round with it, practice and you will find what YOU need to do make it work for YOU.

Changed up the grip, better results.

Since you just got the disc I would say that you need to throw it more to learn how YOU can throw it well. There are plenty of ideas for grips and how people throw different discs but you need to go and practice, not play a round with it, practice and you will find what YOU need to do make it work for YOU.

Good advice here. I switched from trying to use a power grip to more of a pinch grip with all 4 fingers under the rim using the pads of my fingers to pinch it. I have gotten some nice flat straight releases with it. I allows me to get just the right amount of snap to get the spin I need now. I think by working with it iti will allow me to hit those low ceiling shots that my Aviar can't hit due to height requirements. I am just looking to throw straigh flat shots now and work my way up to getting some distance on it. The power grip I was using for it just didn't give the right angle of release for me. I can certianly see where this disc has potential for me.

Latest posts