• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do people lose so many discs???

i've lost a few to thick brush and a couple in deep snow. it seems like a lot of people just don't bother to look for them more than a few minutes (the amount of time allotted during a tournament). i don't write my info on the discs (HATE ink) so i really try to turn over every leaf when i'm looking. also i'll spend a half hour on a search if it's an especially good disc.

Try playing around here. Between Fountain Hills and Vista Del Camino, you will lose at least one a week.

Hello from the OP...

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say that "I'm too good to lose discs." I was just curious what the most common way they get lost was. That being said, I definitely think that the lack of water hazards in my area has kept a lot of the discs in my bag. I was just whining the other day about how there are no ponds or lakes on any of our local courses but now Im starting to be kind of glad about that. I also think that playing so many new courses would have a lot to do with it as well. I play whats in my area, but my area isn't a mecca. ha

I dont normally lose many discs. But If I throw and cant find it after about 15-20 minutes I just give up, its not like you cant replace it.

Most of the discs I have lost has been in murky or fast moving water where I can't see it or cant get to it in time before it is swept away. Then there is just thick in the brush and trees to where I have searched for a long time and its nowhere to be found. How long I search probably depends on the value of the disc vs how much I feel my time is worth and relative to how patient the group I am with is. I usually will spend at least half an hour.

For all you people loosing discs in the drink you should invest in the Golden Retriever tool for pulling discs off the bottom of the lake. At a cost of $20 this thing will pay for itself after you pull 1 disc from the water. super easy to use and folds up flat to be carried in your bag.

For all you people loosing discs in the drink you should invest in the Golden Retriever tool for pulling discs off the bottom of the lake. At a cost of $20 this thing will pay for itself after you pull 1 disc from the water. super easy to use and folds up flat to be carried in your bag.

Got one of those but it does me little good if I cant get to the disc before it gets washed down the river or in some standing water where the disc sinks to the bottom and under goose crap to where you cant see it.

I've also been upset with mine if water is just slightly moving as it seems to pop up and go over the disc. I want to put some weights on it somehow to help keep it down.

At flyboy we used this iron rake retriever, 10x better than a golden retriever in murky weedy water, I pulled up about a dozen discs, only one of them was mine...

If it's clear enough that I can see it, Forest might be able to jump in and get it, otherwise I'm going in for it. I do see the usefulness of a golden retriever, but haven't had a need for one...

I see where you live.....take a trip to Orange Crush and you will soon learn how players lose discs!

Misunderstood your OP....I've lost them everywhwere.....my number one reason is when I make a poor throw I POUT AND STOMP MY FEET AND TURN AWAY IN DISGUST AND INEVITABLY LOSE SIGHT OF WHERE MY DISC WENT>>>>DURING SOLO ROUNDS THIS COMPOUNDS MY FRUSTARTION ANDI NEVER FIND THE DISC

It's been a while since I've lost a disc, but it really can happen almost anywhere. I was playing last year with a group of three others...guy tees off and hit a tree 20' off the tee and the disc gets knocked almost straight down 8' from where it hit the tree. All four of us had played the hole more than a hundred times each and we couldn't find the disc. Almost no leaves on the ground, very little ivy, almost no way to conceal a disc and it just disappeared. The vast majority of my "lost" discs were like others...just walking away and forgetting that I threw an extra.

GR's are wonderful devices when they're useful, but its not a panacea for water bound discs. If you have a river/pond/lake bottom that is rocky, full of reeds, or has a lot of dead plants/leaves on the bottom, its effectiveness goes down considerably, and you have to try other methods.

I have never LOST a disc. I have thrown three discs into water that I couldn't get. I know where they are however, so my record is perfect.;)

If you play lots of solo rounds, and/or play challenging courses, you will lose discs.

Personally, I have a nasty habit of failing to pick up my drive after I throw my approach. :wall:

have not lost a disc in my 2 years of playing.

If you dont totaly miss your drives, you will find your drivers again.

It's extremely rare that I actually lose a disc by way of an errant throw that I can't find. In fact, I can't remember the last time this has happened. The only way I've lost a disc in that past 2 years is by throwing multiple shots by myself and forgetting about one of the discs that I've thrown.

Q: How do people lose so many discs???
A: They are not very good at disc golf.

</thread>

Q: How do people lose so many discs???
A: They are not very good at disc golf.

</thread>

Boom. Lock the thread. :clap:

I probably lost a dozen discs my first year due to being dumb. Didn't lose a single disc last year... and if you take a look at my course map, you can see I play everywhere, not just the local pitch and putt.

The key is watching where the disc lands... no pouting about a bad throw until after you find the disc. When I can't see where the disc landed I'm too stubborn to leave without finding it. I just make a grid, like someone else suggested, and keep expanding my walking area until I find it.

Oh, and I usually lay up on intimidating looking water holes. Better safe than sorry. Probably costs me a stroke or two, but hey, I'm just out to have fun anyway.

Another thing we have noticed when helping people find their lost discs is they are VERY generous with the distances they think they got and we generally find them about 100' shorter than they estimate.

Must be those dudes who throw 400' putter shots.

Not all people play tiny putt putt courses. Go play Giles Run in VA by yourself and you will lose 3 discs.

I have only lost 1 disc and that was at Giles Run. But I also found 4 other discs while I was looking for my discs that went off course.

Latest posts