• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do people lose so many discs???

BarkBuster

Eagle Member
I keep seeing these threads about how people are losing discs on the courses and never getting calls back. Since I have started playing I have only lost 2 discs... I will hunt until I find them normally, but one was an orange StarE-X in mid september so that was my fault, the other was a DX Beast that I lost while playing a "drunk round" (it wasnt supposed to be, but it was hot and the course (Milo) was 27 holes haha).

So Im curious... Are most people losing these in water, high grass, leaves, complete errant throws or do you guys just not look for them for very long? Im not trying to sound like a "Richard", just curious as to how so many discs get lost during rounds.

I've only lost 2 discs, one in the lake behind my house when I first started playing and one in the lake at Limona. I came back to Limona the next day with a rake to find it gone. It had my name and number on it. That part of the lake has since dried up... and no TeeBird. :thmbdown:

Dirty disc stealers!

I have only "lost" 1 disc since I started playing again a couple years ago.

I didnt actually lose it, I walked away after making my shot and totally forgot about it. Was on the last hole of the course and left...

Almost did the same thing again a couple months after that, but this time I remembered on the car ride home and when I went back for it, not only did I find it, but I found another just a few inches from it, and no one was left playing at the park since it was about to close. :thmbup:

Over the last 2 years I lost 1 but found probably 20, so Im still ahead.

I've lost quite a few over the years. Almost all of them happened when playing a new course for the first time, where you don't have a good feeling for the line you're supposed to hit or an idea of where an errant shot is likely to end up. I don't remember losing one on a course I had played several times.

I have lost more discs by just leaving them on the ground then actually losing them. Water is my main culprit though after that. I still don't lose that many discs though.

Hell, I've lost discs in open ground and not so tall of grass. Even after walking a grid pattern, some still remained missing. Which also explains why I've found some in such obvious places. One thing I learned very early on is that if you don't watch the flight till the disc stops, the disc WILL try to hide from you. FWIW, I've found many more than I left behind.

I frequently play a course with some severe water hazards, as well as dense woods and briars if you get off the fairway. I've also played some tournaments with disc-snatching water hazards.

One tip for losing discs, even on tamer courses, is to practice by throwing multiple shots off the same tee. No matter how sure you are as to where they landed---or even how many you threw---it's easy to walk off without one.

If you play courses where you throw over water you will lose discs. Most of my non-water lost disc holes have been when it was almost dark or really, really thick rough. I've also lost 2 discs by them getting wedged in the top of trees. I spent 45 minutes throwing rocks, water bottles, and everthing else to get a first run Boss down that was hung 50' up after the tournament round was over. It just wasn't meant to be. If you play enough, you will eventually lose some discs. Nature just kinda claims some of them for herself.

one in water, one vaporized into the snow, two lost under leaves

Last edited:
kinda off topic, but has anyone ever found a disc that had the players info and number scribbled out, and a new name and number written on it?

I found one like that and I think Im just gonna put it back where I found it and let Karma work things out.

On one hand the disc could have been traded, or sold, but on the other hand I could be returning a disc to a disc thief... :\

what would you do?

kinda off topic, but has anyone ever found a disc that had the players info and number scribbled out, and a new name and number written on it?

I found one like that and I think Im just gonna put it back where I found it and let Karma work things out.

On one hand the disc could have been traded, or sold, but on the other hand I could be returning a disc to a disc thief... :\

what would you do?

i have a couple discs like this that were traded

Not all people play tiny putt putt courses. Go play Giles Run in VA by yourself and you will lose 3 discs.

If you play a 9000 foot course through woods and elevation with ponds and streams and deep boulder fields you will lose discs....If you play any course with a lake or a huge downhill drive with an unlimited spray zone you will lose discs.....if you sit on your high horse and don't challenge yourself you will probably retain your discs.....also if you can throw far you will lose discs...play a tough course with tough wind conditions.
I'd imagine playing a course you are familiar with only when it's nice out and you won't lose much plastic

what would you do?

Nobody answer this. If anybody wants to know the answer, just do a search. There is no reason that this thread should go down in flames as a "found disc" thread. Just leave it as a "How do people lose so many discs?" thread.

As has been said before, most of my lost plastic comes on an unfamiliar course, typically a longer "championship caliber" course with water, thick rough, blind shots, etc. I've also lost plenty under the snow. In the last 3 weeks I've lost track... 5 or 6 discs, mostly to the water gods. 3 of them at Flyboy.

i have inked discs i bought and traded from friends, purchaced from swamp ratts or was just told to "keep it- i live 3 states away..."
main reasons for loseing discs for me-
#1 high speed power throw deflection! At the last moment when the disc goes out of sight on a hill or around a blind corner and it clips a branch and does a 180* turnaround sailing in the other direction!
#2 walk away leaving the disc after a good 2nd throw-stoked!
#3 shank- it kept going and going! never to be seen again.
#4 party favors- to much fun on the course,dude...