• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you “lose” discs?

3 but with grass. Earlier this year we had so much rain that the grass went to 3-4 ft tall and the grass on the course at my house had gotten three plus feet tall and had these really sharp needles that would stick to you when you walked through. I had many times that my socks would become full of the needles for my cloudbreaker.

I have only permanently lost 2 discs in my career. One was just accidently left at a course and the second was lost in water. The first one was found and I was called and he offered to return the disc to me, but I could tell that he really liked it and would use it and I wasn't attached to it so told him to just keep it. The second one was also found and the person who found it called me. This one was one that I used a lot and he offered to leave it at a local retailer to pick up, so I thanked him and I did that.

I now refuse to play around water, just isn't worth it. The discs that have caused me the most trouble to find are ones buried under leaves in the fall, and a couple that were stuck in trees have taken considerable effort to retrieve.

I get distracted and don't see where they land. Then I get frustrated because I don't find them quickly and move on to the next hole.

I typically lose discs to the water more than the other ways but the typical lose outside of that is either forgetting my drive or misreading the wind and then the disc ending up way away from where I intended for it to go, or in the most recent case straight into a deep river right before a massive rain storm and subsequent flooding.

When I first started using a cart I would have the bad habit of setting a disc in the cart seat and then forget about it, so it would fall off somewhere in the fairway. Happened once in a neighboring town course, then apparently someone picked it up and used it since months later it showed up in my home town course in a pond. 😆

This is where I lose my disc on the home course Munden point Fairways 8 and 9 share a peninsula with the river on three sides. Looking at number 8 baskets, number 9 short to your right and long thru those gap of trees coming at you. I have lost a total of about 75 disc in four plus years and at least 36 of them have been on both of these Fairways and six others Elsewhere on the course. the wind can whip up 35 to 45 mph this time of the year and Gusty, so it's always a hazard to throw on these two Fairways. I've only lost a total of 11 discs this year and seven of them have been on both of this Fairways. So it's getting better😀

I'm very good about finding my disc in the woods and leafs, have lost a total of three disc in heavy leaves including one last week it seems to happen just once a year. if I'm not finding a disc in the woods it's because it was a tree kick and it didn't have a clue which direction it went. on the home course a couple of Fairways with Marsh right off the Fairway with tall grass at least 7 ft up. I've lost two discs there I will not go in there in the summertime. cuz there are snakes and I have actually had a disc land on top of a snake in the Fairway and a few years ago I treated a snake bite victim there.

Then there's the magically missing disc both on the home course. I had a black disc disappear behind oak trees hardly any leafs and couldn't find it, just unbelievable that was 3 years ago. this past year same thing with another disc but I found it laying in the trunk of the oak tree so I'm wondering if that's what happened to that first three years ago. then there was a yellow star leopard that flew in a bush that has yellow leaves in the month of October. Has happened several times before very easy to find but not this time. Just invisible. I have left just one disc on The Fairway after an approach this past year that now makes me paranoid, so I count all the time. my first year playing I used crap disc bags and had two drop out of the bag. so there's my lost disc Adventure.

Attachments

• 20231219_101701.jpg
    20231219_101701.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
This is where I lose my disc on the home course Munden point Fairways 8 and 9 share a peninsula with the river on three sides. Looking at number 8 baskets, number 9 short to your right and long thru those gap of trees coming at you. I have lost a total of about 75 disc in four plus years and at least 36 of them have been on both of these Fairways and six others Elsewhere on the course. the wind can whip up 35 to 45 mph this time of the year and Gusty, so it's always a hazard to throw on these two Fairways. I've only lost a total of 11 discs this year and seven of them have been on both of this Fairways. So it's getting better😀
Man that's a lot of discs in the water! I'm sure other players put their fair share in as well. I looked at a satellite view of that peninsula. I could see how that would be a problem in windy conditions. I hope a local snokels the water and returns discs every once in awhile.

Man that's a lot of discs in the water! I'm sure other players put their fair share in as well. I looked at a satellite view of that peninsula. I could see how that would be a problem in windy conditions. I hope a local snokels the water and returns discs every once in awhile.
I've played more than 500 rounds on the course, so a low percentage of loss discs on those two holes. I've learned not to get too bothered by losing a disc in the water, except for some of my favorites my first Star Mamba, three Roc Metal Flakes (you would think I would learn), my first in store disc buy Pro Valkyrie, and the last disc I lost approaching the long basket a few months ago in a 20-mph headwind a Plasma Servo I had for the past 18 months. This my 5th wind season on the course and have learn to really enjoy it. Strongest wind a headwind in the photo 35-45 mph according to a local weather watcher not far from the course 70 mph gusts. I picked up triples, and doubles on holes I had never scored above par, and a 60-foot pine tree drop a few hundred feet behind me, it was a comical round disc rolling a few hundred feet past the basket. I'm not the only nut out there, I see some of the same people on strong wind days, kind of like surfers waiting for the big one. Longest drive was my first year a Star lite roadrunner about 450-feet on a 40-50 mph crosswind. I had to turn around and throw a hundred feet back towards the basket.

I used to see someone wading into the water and feeling around towards the bottom, pulling out more than a dozen discs the few times I saw him. Nobody on the local facebook page ever had their disc returned, and it was known the local PIAS store was buying disc from him.

Here's some humor, in the photo before the short basket is heavy with tree roots in the water. A few years ago, that Pro Valkyrie skipped into the water figured it was likely caught in the roots, checked the time for low tide the next morning, first one on the course, walked into the sand bar and picked up my disc, only to lose it a few months later on the other side. Earlier this year a Star Charger from the tee disappeared over the side into the river figured it was gone, somehow it balanced itself 20 feet out in the river on top of a large fallen tree in the river. I balanced myself and brought it back. The tree is solid, not going anywhere. At low tide it can be a disc graveyard, I've pulled out as many as three within reached. I text one guy, and he told me he had lost it three years ago and had me keep it.

All the above.
Pretty much same.

1. Most of my losses in the past year were playing new (to me) courses solo. Had more times I just gave up after a 10 min search than I'd care to admit. When I'm bagging courses, I've almost always dealing with time constraints.

2. Hasn't happened recently, but I've forgotten to pick up more than a few discs. Usually I'll try to pin the blame on trying to corral my kids, but I also left a 2nd run ion in the fairway pre-fatherhood.

3. The new closest course to my work has water in play on 4 of 9 holes. I've put 3 in the drink so far. I'm not searching goose shit water for a $7 factory 2d. If someone wants to go in there, they're welcome to my plastic.

All my years of playing, I've lost 3. The first was playing long distance catch on the beach in half moon bay. My friend was slow to retrieve a miss, and 2" of ocean wash claimed my first ss wizard.
Second loss involved falling between 2 3' logs that were overgrown with blackberry. Laying in the blackberry to reach into the log space into widdow land didn't seem worth a dx tbird.
The third was just lost. Solo play on a hole that was somewhat cleared out. (Same hole as the previous loss) 45 minutes of looking was more than the replacement dx tbird deserved.
A small price to pay...

I loose more discs by just leaving them on the course than anything.

I left a disc on the last hole of the last course I played in KC a few weeks ago. Didn't realize it till I got home and dreamed about it. Sure enough, checked my bag and it was not there. I know exactly where I left it too.

I have done that several time. Throw a second shot and forget to pick one of them up.

i have also done the "setting a disc on the seat of my cart and walked off" thing a few times.

I stopped carrying my stick for a while after loosing it a few times. Now I have a sleeve for it that is attached to my cart.

I don't think I've ever left one on the course. But I've definitely lost a bunch in water, leaves, underbrush, and especially down in Florida in the salt bush. I had a spot in my bag, backup to my favorite driver, I had to replace that disc after about every trip to Florida. Once I got a Roc stuck up in a palm tree, I could see it but not retrieve it. Most interesting loss was on my home course though. Before it was a disc golf course it was a housing complex, and vestiges of the infrastructure are still there. I threw my driver right into a street drain. No street there anymore, but the drain is still there, and I suppose my Eagle is still down there.

I don't think I've ever left one on the course. But I've definitely lost a bunch in water, leaves, underbrush, and especially down in Florida in the salt bush. I had a spot in my bag, backup to my favorite driver, I had to replace that disc after about every trip to Florida. Once I got a Roc stuck up in a palm tree, I could see it but not retrieve it. Most interesting loss was on my home course though. Before it was a disc golf course it was a housing complex, and vestiges of the infrastructure are still there. I threw my driver right into a street drain. No street there anymore, but the drain is still there, and I suppose my Eagle is still down there.
I've managed to have a disc go into a drain as well. Doing "field" work in a parking lot. I managed to get the disc back! Used a disc retriever that has a long, fabric cord. Happily, the disc landed on the first ledge inside the drain and didn't fall through the big hole! Unlucky and lucky all at once!

There is a disc goblin option #4

Ever lose a disc in the fairway after a good throw or in a place you've landed on your home course a million times but it just disappears?
Almost. I had a fox run off with a disc in the fairway at Druid Park. I tracked the SOB down and he gave up the goods. My buddy lost one on old #12 at Seneca that hit the well worn fairway cedar. We saw where it went in and poked all through the tree with the retriever poles they kept stashed there. All I can think of is maybe it fell down when we were turned around picking our bags and it rolled into the woods.

Other than that, leaves or just forgetting one are the main reasons I've lost plastic.

First disc i actually lost in a while. (as compared to retiring discs because they beat in too much, which i did quite a bit last year)

10 years old star Leopard. It was 10°C out, so nothing too crazy cold. Hit a tree and exploded. I made the 25 meters putt from the biggest piece though :D

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 0
Lost a putting putter for the first time today. Crazy wind picked it up like a cartoon a flung it into a fast moving deep creek about 30 ft away. Hoping to recover when the water is clearer in a day or two but somewhat unlikely.

Latest posts