• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you bomb your backhand?

What type of shot do you use for max distance?

• Hyzer-flip

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • Flat release straight shot

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • Flat release S curve (flex shot)

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Anhyzer release S curve

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • Big anhyzer rainbow

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I know there's a lot of different throwing techniques people use to maximize distance and I was just wondering what the most popular one is. I've never been consistent with a hyzer-flip so I rarely use that shot. For me, it's a toss up between a flat-straight shot with a stable disc like a Destroyer or a flat-S-curve shot with something like a slightly beat Star Wraith or a new Champ Beast. The problem with these shots is that they sometimes just keep going right (RHBH) and make a C instead of an S. So for consistency sake, my main bombing method is flat and straight with a stable disc.

I've been trying the hyzer flip lately with some success. Half of them turn into rollers though because I'm used to throwing overstable discs lol. Still the rollers have turned out decent so now that's an addition shot added to my arsenal, now if I could just throw the one I want by choice. I think it's beneficial to learn multiple ways to drive.

Since I cant seem to consistantly turn over drivers backhand at all, I throw a fairly understable driver with tons of glide (star sidewinder) and just chuck straight as i can, which turns into somewhat of a hyzer flip anyways.

I turn over my surge with a flat release and get a little S out of it. I have been working on Anhyzer realease though, but it is going to take some time.

I threw flex shots for a while with overstable discs and had good results ( about 350 or so). I just recently started working on hyzer flips though and have been able to get more D with it.

to be honest, I would say this ALL depends on wind conditions and the disc you choose.

to be honest, I would say this ALL depends on wind conditions and the disc you choose.

Well, I'm talking zero-wind conditions. And of course the disc matters, but you pick the disc based on what shot you want to throw, not the other way around.

I haven't been to the practice field for awhile, but last time I was getting the most distance with my Wraith with a level release and a small S flight. My other distance disc is the Boss with a slight anhyzer release.

Assuming we're talking a distance shot and not a golf shot, I use a high hyzer flip that's purposely torqued over a bit for a wide 'S'. I get best results with something on the flippy side but that also has fade, something like a Pro Orc or Valkyrie.

If we're talking about a golf shot, I'll throw a clean hyzer flip with something a bit slower that's a narrow 'S' shot to get a straight flight.

It would be interesting to correlate the style chosen in the poll to average distance. I like the hyzer flip because I can get more D out of it compared to the anhyzer S without throwing it as high. For shorter holes where there are trees between me and the pin and an opening to the right I love throwing the Teebird fairly low with the anhyzer S line. It allows me to basically go straight at the pin, turnover to the right around the trees then flex back through the gap. When you hit that gap it's an awesome feeling!

I haven't been able to generate enough armspeed yet. Still only been playing for 5 months. The most common shot I'm throwing right now is an anhyzer release S-curve. My lack of arm speed keeps me from getting high speed turn out of my discs, so throwing with an anhyzer release allows my understables to flip flat and fade slightly, if at all, and my stables/overstables to get a nice S-curve. I'm hoping in the next few months time I'll be able to use a flat or hyzer release to get a nice S-curve. I'm guessing, with enough arm speed, it will really help me out with a FHlike shot. Still have not come close to making anything close to a good shot FHed.

I went with Anyhyzer release S curve but last night I absolutely bombed a drive straight as an arrow with a Surge so I might try the flat release now

My longest throws have been with wraiths released flat for a nice tight s-curve, or destroyers released just slightly anhyzer for a wider flex shot. My destroyer will go longer, but I need a lot more room to get that distance with it.

Im not sure I believe a flat release flex shot is possible. If you throw with nose down and proper release and the disc turns (high speed turn) your not flexing it your throwing it properly. Am I wrong?

the only "flex" shot I know is throwing an overstable disc anny and then watching it FLEX back because of stability.

I don't always mean to, but it always seems like when I S-Curve my backhand it consistently flies the farthest, but it is not as accurate as just ripping the disc straight.

my longest throw to date was recent with a 06 worlds star wraith that is just a bit more understable than most wraiths...threw it flat, went right for a bit, then slowly faded back...i have to try to get a more accurate measurement, but i paced it about 450'...subject to error though, it is a very rough measurement...

well for me I can do all of those shots but i can do a 360 big to flx shot about 500 ft was last time i measure but i can average about 450 on a good rip disc i usually use for distance is my boss or groove or on tail winds my really beat pro wraith it will flip and S for me no prob

I don't throw all that far, but when I really get a good release and a lot of distance (for me), it is always a nice, smooth flex shot. Starting to get pretty good distance out of the hyzer flip, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite shots as I get more consistent with it.

I throw my Star Wraith Backhand and it goes forever. It come flat out of my hand and just slightly to the right with slightly more fade to the left as it slows down.

I throw my Star Wraith Backhand and it goes forever. It come flat out of my hand and just slightly to the right with slightly more fade to the left as it slows down.

You mean to tell me it's still going?!?!?;)