• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do YOU fall apart?

What skill(s) do you lose first?

• Driving

Votes: 67 31.5%
  • Mid game (approaches and touch shots)

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Putting

Votes: 79 37.1%
  • Driving AND Mid

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Driving AND Putting

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Putting and Mid

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • EVERYTHING!!! ARGH!

Votes: 17 8.0%

• Total voters
One quick follow up on putting:

When my putting struggles, I can usually go through a mental checklist and fix the problem.
(Proper stance, visualization and positive thoughts, push with legs, chin up, exhale on release, follow through, etc.)
Everyone misses putts or gets into a funk, but I think it's the easiest to get out of with the proper mindset.

Having a bad drive then trying too hard to make up for it on the second shot. That leads to more bogies and doubles then if i were to just pitch out to the fairway and go from there.

Then after that I'm in a bad frame of mind and next couple holes usually suffer

Driving for me. Sometimes it's like I don't even know what I'm doing outside, or why I'm there. I think being overweight and out of shape is the main culprit.

My putting is what falls apart.

My driving is usually pretty good and doesn't change from game to game even after a bad throw. However, I have lost many, many strokes to a break-down in my putting. I've lost casual games to friends with 100' less distance simply because I cannot get my mind to let me make putts.

Unexpected response from GoodDriveBadPutt. :\

Ah, but see, that's why it's so bad!

My putting is bad? No surprises there.
My driving is bad? The **** done hit the fan.

My putting - not good to begin with - goes out the door and sweat the 10 footers. Not listed on here, although likely more mental, is footwork. Regardless of driving off the tee or long fairway shots, if I am having an off game, my footwork gets more out of whack and I take tons of off balance shots. Also, when it starts going downhill, I find that I turn to use more flippy discs or work my thumber more, since I am not getting a consistent follow-through - start short arming everything...or I have lost confidence in my driving - its a way to compensate. I think i just should have answered everything.

My putting is generally pretty consistent. But my driving and woods game falls apart. I find it very difficult to regain my timing after a few bad shots. I find it really difficult for holes that are uphill with a L-R fade at the end.

Putting. I usually start babying my putts if my legs are tired or my arm starts jerking to the right a little if I start grinding too long over putts.

My game falls apart more dramatically than Chinua Achebe's literary character Okonkwo. :|

If I am getting off some decent drives, by my standards, I can tell it will be a good round. But once I shank or turn over 3 or 4 in a row...I begin to expect a bad drive off every pad, and am already anticipating how I'm going to recover.

My game falls apart usually after my drive hits an iron leaf and just falls out of the sky..........

Usually when my game falls apart it starts with 1 horrid drive/approach, then translates to my putting instantly on the same hole. Idk most of the time I can recover the next hole w/just watching my form. So basically its one hole at a time..

when approaches go - then it is a truly "special" round.

Latest posts