• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do YOU fall apart?

What skill(s) do you lose first?

• Driving

Votes: 67 31.5%
  • Mid game (approaches and touch shots)

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Putting

Votes: 79 37.1%
  • Driving AND Mid

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Driving AND Putting

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Putting and Mid

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • EVERYTHING!!! ARGH!

Votes: 17 8.0%

• Total voters
This harkens back to the "what makes a Pro" thread. Yes, I've seen some younger pro's who have let things affect them and they fall apart. The best ones will have none of that. I'm not saying I'm some great pro...heck, I've only flown open once and that was just recently. I can honestly say that I DO NOT let a bad drive, errant approach, or a missed putt affect my round. I always fly with the mind set of the "next throw". I live and fly in an area with many pro's and definitely the best one who's ever played this game. They all miss and sometimes badly. Smile, move on to the next throw, and go forward from there. I told Paul McBeth that the thing that impressed me the most at his world's victory was his ability to not let the bad holes affect him - it was truly inspiring. It wasn't too long ago those bad holes would have ruined his round!!

"nice putt. Have you accepted the word of our Lord into your bag yet?"

/hands you a saint.

If that's in the gospel I'm converting! If you make church every day for certain period of time do you get a Halo? Confession gets you a Gateway Demon.

My timing gets off during late second rounds sometimes. Start releasing things early even when I've been on all day.

Backhand driving is where I go bad.
When it's on, I can hit a fly in the eye from 275', but when it's off (and you don't have to be off much on a wooded course), it's just miserable.
I started throwing thumbers off some teepads, simply because I can depend on it more that my backhand, even though I give up 50-100'.

No mental game option? I usually start off kind of rough with a bunch of pars, then get on a birdie train and feel really good about my game. Then I try "being a hero" by doing something I probably shouldn't, and get bent over like a dirty school girl. Happened a few times last weekend at my tourney.

I stop throwing my puts at the basket and start aiming towards the basket which doesn't work and I start taking double bogies. But it all starts with sucking at putting

It's kind of an all around effort. Throw a bad drive down into the dry creek bed. Have to stand in there funny to make my next shot. Lose my balance, it goes awry. Bad approach gives me a long putt. Hit basket and bounce off funny, roll under tree. Decide to lay up. Finally get it in. My really great par game is now +3. I'm done being complete awful at this point, but I proceed to bogey the next two holes. So I'm +5 by the end of it, and it was starting out so well.

It all starts with putts. Last weekend I missed a 10footer after hitting chains on my drive. (Still can't figure out how it spit out, kinda bounced around the chains, hit the top of the pan and squirmed out) after that, it was bogey city. But I guess that's because of my mental game, trying to make up strokes beause I should have had an ace, then should have had a birdie, etc... That $280 ace pot would have been nice though

I like to crumble when I come to the hole with a big fat tree in the middle( the one I always hit) and say out loud "Im not gonna hit that tree this time", procede to think about not hitting it, let it rip, and boom, smack the f'n tree dead center trunk and taco my disc. Then I over medicate and throw scared.

driving, have a bad driving day more often than anything else. But approaches and mid range are usually very dependable so I can compensate.

Putting for me. If I'm playing like I did tonight (hit 100% of my putts inside of 30), I am so confident on the tee and in my approach game that I'm just relaxed and having fun out there. But if I start to chunk a few 18-20 footers, I start to press mentally. Start to think "I've gotta park it" instead of "just get it close...and I'm golden." And that extra bit of pressure is enough to screw with my form to the point where I'll end up being an extra 20-30' away from the target. Taking a 25-footer and all of the sudden needing to stick a 45-footer. Missing it, then feel even MORE pressure on the next hole to make something happen. Rinse, and repeat.

Driving goes first usually first sign is disc goes nose up. Try to grab a less stable disc and ease up make it stay in the fairway.

Latest posts