• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do YOU fall apart?

What skill(s) do you lose first?

• Driving

Votes: 67 31.5%
  • Mid game (approaches and touch shots)

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Putting

Votes: 79 37.1%
  • Driving AND Mid

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Driving AND Putting

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Putting and Mid

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • EVERYTHING!!! ARGH!

Votes: 17 8.0%

• Total voters

jtreadwell

Wizard of Plastic Land
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Everyone's been there. You're having a great game, everything is on, and you can't seem to hit a tree even if you try. Then, the switch is hit and it all goes to hell. I've noticed that when I have a meltdown, the first thing to go is my ability to drive in the direction I want (IE griplock and early release). How about the rest of you? When your game is going down the drain, what part of your game is usually to blame?

Distance somehow disappears. At the last tournament I played, I went from getting within putting distance on a 350' hole to not clearing a 200' pond on the following hole.

Playing mulligan in leagues, throwing a drive on a water hole where I had about a 90% chance to make the putt. Lie looked worse than it was from the tee. Throw a second shot with an ace disc, it looks like it's gonna be another ace, but clips a branch and falls into dark murky water to be lost forever. Kinda shut down after that.

I've never been a killer putter, so missing a few putts I should make goes largely unnoticed.

However, one shanked drive often means many more to come. Then all the wheels come off and I become Mike Matusow.

My mental game falls apart. In my first (and only so far) tourney I got a SEVEN on a hole I usually par. After that it was all down hill. If I get angry at myself in casual rounds I play much worse also.

Physically, my driving goes south first, mostly because I strong arm, and get tired too quickly.

I drive RHFH (with decent distance, I might add) so I don't have a lot of problems like shanking it, as it's a pretty consistent motion. My mid-game is (at this point) almost exclusively for lay-ups. But if I try to lay up at ten feet, and it dies at 20, I pretty much can guarentee I'm not making that putt...and then evevery putt to follow goes right to hell.

it's usually a shank job or a bad kick off of the tee, followed by a decent up shot and a blown putt to card a bogey. after that i can't get a clean shot off of the tee and it feels like i'm having to force everything just to stay at par. once you get a nice tee shot you don't worry about the birdie putt because missing and taking a 3 is better than the string of 4's you're currently riding out.

Putting and mids. Putts get in my head, and whether I want to or not I think, "This is a very missable putt." CLANG. I also grip lock on approaches and send whatever disc sailing off the fairway... But only backhand. Sidearm approaches and drives are almost always money for me... Which sucks because I'm working so hard to improve my backhand game and my forehands were just natural... But when my backhand clicks it puts anything I flick to shame.

That one missed 15-20 footer and boom im done. I lose focus and this can lead to uncertainty in my drives, upshots, cig choice, sexual preference, it just gets bad.

Not that I'm a good putter, but when I'm having trouble, it's usually my drives.
Less frequently, it's my putts.
When my mids/upshots aren't working, it's time to leave the course. :mad:

But I'm getting better putting a bad shot behind me. Even good pitchers give up home runs, but after you serve one up, guess what? You still gotta focus on the next batter and get an out. Disc golf is no different. So you: shanked a drive, missed a putt, took a penalty stroke, whatever... don't let it dictate the rest of your round.

Last edited:
My mid game seems to really suffer.. I don't have a huge arm so I rely on my consistent putting and great approaches/ mid shots. I'd say Driving but I just stick to my Valk, River, and Teebird if all hell breaks lose. Just stick to my favorite/most-trusted drivers and it usually fixes itself.

Putting, almost ALWAYS my putting (meaning if I start to have a bad round, that's generally what it is that's going on) :wall:

But when griplock city comes rolling around, that too bites the big one. :doh:

My game typically falls apart after I say something overconfident aloud.

I put everything because I don't seem to fall apart during a round. I either am having a good day or a bad one. Bad ones - everything is bad and usually inconsistent. Good days - I seem to be able to do magic.

Good days are much less frequent, but good and frequent enough to make up for all the bad ones.

Latest posts