• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you full timers do it?

AirMcNair

Double Eagle Member
I recently stopped working freelance and got a full time 8-5 job (which I said I would never do). I drive 60 miles one way to work until I find a house closer to my new job so there isn't much time to play before or after work. Then most weekends I am spending time with my wife since I don't see her much during the week.

I was use to playing at least 3 times a week two or three rounds a day. Now I am playing maybe one round a week period. To be blunt its killing me not being able to play that much. With the time changing I won't even be able to have light to play after work.

Help me out and give me some ideas of when to play.

I've been working 50 hour weeks with a couple (three finally this year) week long vacations a year ever since I fell in love with the sport. My schedule is back and forth though with days, nights, and various days of the week. If I get out at 5 I squeeze in a quick round. If I don't work till 330 I have tons of golf time before work. And otherwise my "weekends" are always golf available.

If it's an inconvienance to play during the week, don't. There is nothing wrong with only playing once a week. This is only a game and your work and your wife is probably more important. This game is a lifetime game so there will be plenty of courses still around when you are retired. :)

For starters, your commute is WAY too long. That alone would threaten to kill me. Get it down to a 10-20 mile trip, and you're going to have a LOT more time for your family and your hobbies. I'm lucky enough to work 5 minutes from an 18-hole course, so I can play a round, or most of a round, depending on how quickly I make it around the course, during a lunch break. Have you looked into whether there might be a course near your work, or maybe one on your route to or from work that you could play before your shift starts or after you get off, for efficiency?

Another idea is to get your wife hooked on disc golf, and you can have dates at the disc golf park. :)

Ya my commute is way too long. We actually put an offer in for a house yesterday so it will be cut in half if not more. I work 2 min from one of the best courses here in Mid TN, Seven Oaks, but since I drive so much I don't pay to often.

My wife actually does play but where we live we aren't close to a course right now and she doesn't like to play as much as I do.

i work 11am-9pm M-F and usually 9am-1pm every saturday and from 7am-10am on weekdays im getting my son dressed and ready, getting myself ready, and getting breakfast ready, and getting him to daycare. this doesnt leave much room for DG. I bought a basket and putt about 2-3 nights a week and play about 5-6 rounds every weekend. gotta make the best with what ya got!

DG is the best reason to work for yourself, set your own hours, set your own drug testing policy, play when it's not raining or dark and work while it is.

If it's an inconvienance to play during the week, don't. There is nothing wrong with only playing once a week. This is only a game and your work and your wife is probably more important. This game is a lifetime game so there will be plenty of courses still around when you are retired. :)

^Good advice!

If you're unable to play much, and money's not an issue, you could pick up a practice basket (if you don't already have one). You could probably find time to sneak out for putting practice, and when you are able to start playing again, you'll be deadly inside the circle.

If you're unable to play much, and money's not an issue, you could pick up a practice basket (if you don't already have one). You could probably find time to sneak out for putting practice, and when you are able to start playing again, you'll be deadly inside the circle.
And if you have a large enough yard, or a nearby field, work on your upshots and/or drives when you can't get to the course, and you'll be deadly outside the circle, too!

I work 7pm to 6am, Monday night -Friday night, which means I dont get up till after 2pm on Saturday afternoons. I am lucky if I get to play 3 times a month. I wish I could play more, but that is life. I have tried to play before I go to work, but it just about kills me, because I am so tired at work.

I try to take advantage of holidays, and days off, so I make plans to play those days.

That is all I can really say, is working long hours, you just have to accept they fact that you can't play as much as you would like, and you just have to plan out the times when you can play.

Also, when you don't play that much, it becomes more special.

I feel your pain, the full time job really kills the disc golf especially when the sun goes down early. I have to agree on getting a practice basket, it will scratch the itch to play and then you can be a beast inside the circle.

I usually putt during my lunch break, it does the trick.

I have a basket (and a huge space to throw right now) but it just isn't the same as playing a course.

ah lunch break.... what is that? haha

I have noticed that since I only get to play once a week I play way better. I hit my lines I hit my putts its weird but I do. And yes Midnight it is more special when you don't get to play much.

I have noticed that since I only get to play once a week I play way better. I hit my lines I hit my putts its weird but I do. And yes Midnight it is more special when you don't get to play much.

I've recently been playing much less, too, and I concur with the above statement.

I attribute it to a couple of things. One, having greater focus and two, having a greater time for the body to recover.

When I was playing upwards of 9 rounds a week, I'd have trouble hitting lines, sinking putts, etc. Playing once or twice a week and a lot of things seem to be "clicking" for me.

During the summer, I'm good for 3-4 rounds a week.
Once the days get shorter it's hard to get weekday rounds in... and you're limited to weekends.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I have only played 1 round in the last month and that was only because of an out of towner wanting to play with some locals and had called me to set it up. I work full time as a stay at home dad, but my wife is always on the road for work. I've also been working on a remodel of a home I just purchased and plan to move into (soon I hope). So spare time is very limited. I do find time to head down to a local park with some wide open spaces and its normally empty of people this time of year.

Also, when you don't play that much, it becomes more special.

I totally agree

I work 11pm-7am. During the summer I can stop by the course on the way home from work (only a block away) and get in some practice. During the school year I get out of work, take my daughter to school, then stop by the course.
I work at least six days a week unless I've got time off for the bigger tournaments.
My saving grace is location, having a nice course one block away is the only reason I get to play so often. I also live in a home surrounded by woods and have a large open yard so I have a few really technical holes I've cut out of the woods and can get 300ft throwing lanes in the open yard. Many buzzz throws have been perfected in my spare time just throwing in my yard. Now if only I could save up enough money for actual baskets instead of old tires as targets....

well maybe you should just sell all your discs to me =P jk jk play in the snow like we do in Illinois! Just make sure you put strings on the discs so you dont lose them

Latest posts