• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you full timers do it?

I drop my son off at his school at 6:30am
Play 9 holes at Red Ridge
Go home and shower, then get to work by 8:00am
then play 18 holes on my lunch break at the park behind my office.

Here's what you do. Lose the wife, lose the full time job, lose the house and get rid of all the bills. Move into a van, work only when you have to, only to earn enough money to continue traveling and playing DG.

I kept the wife and house, but I did change my job... I drive an 18 wheeler now. I travel around and play disc golf whenever I have the opportunity. Even I the winter, I get in 3 to 5 rounds a week. I have noticed that I play better when I only play 3 rounds a week.

Here's what you do. Lose the wife, lose the full time job, lose the house and get rid of all the bills. Move into a van, work only when you have to, only to earn enough money to continue traveling and playing DG.

HAHA ya thats what I have been doing the past 6 years except having the wife the whole time.

3rd this emotion. :thmbup:

I work 40+ hours a week, 2ND shift no less, and between work, my 2 year old daughter, and my girlfriend,I hardly ever have time to play. Especially not as much as I'd like to. So between working 2-1030pm, and spending time with my family, I get to play on the weekends if it's nice out, and then early in the morning before work. So I barely get enough time to play..... I wish I had more time.

If you can knock your commute to work down by 20 miles or so, that alone would give you extra time on the course. But as it was stated, this is just a game, and family comes first.

Good luck.

I've been playing after work nearly every day since the time changed. If I don't play, I field practice. When the time changes back I'm going to go through withdrawal for sure.

I recall hearing of a guy who got night vision goggles and did his gardening in the middle of the night. But I already got an exterior power panel installed so I can run power to lights and at least work on putting, approach, and midrange drives in the evenings.

If it's an inconvienance to play during the week, don't. There is nothing wrong with only playing once a week. This is only a game and your work and your wife is probably more important. This game is a lifetime game so there will be plenty of courses still around when you are retired. :)

Gotta support this.
DG is a lot of fun, but it's only one part of your life.

Your long commute defintely doesn't help.

I work typically 40 hour weeks 7-4 with an hour lunch. I got a deal with my boss to only take a 30 minute lunch so I can get off at 3:30. My wife gets off at 5. So the days I play I go straight to the course at 3:30 and play till 5 and meet my wife at home to start out evening.

I play when possible. I don't have a set schedule, I'm either working 7-3, 10-6 (today), or 3-11. I never get out on time so it's usually getting done at 3:30-4:00 or 11:30-12:00. My days off are random, and almost never 2 days in a row, so pretty much it's how I feel in the morning or afternoon. Lately it's been 1-3 rounds a week.

Pretty much never play tournaments, work every weekend...

I'm a lucky duck. My little town has four courses within about a seven mile circle and my house and job are also inside that circle. i work 8-5 and fit in a round after work every day instead of commuting somewhere.

Probably a way to make something similar work a lot of places, but personally, I just got lucky.

Third shift rules! Get off work at 8 AM and hit the course. I got two rounds in this morning.
:hfive:

That being said, I may be in the OP's long commute predicament next year. That's certainly going to put a crimp in things.
:(

I own my own business, make my own hours, and I always keep my discs in my vehicle.

Sadly, my boss is a jerk, and I haven't had a day off in 15 days straight. I have spring and fall rushes, and this fall has been excruciating. I have played 1 time in this stretch, 18 at Jokerest.

When you want to do something, you have to 'make' the time, not find it. You must have a day to yourself, and it doesn't always have to be spent disc golfing. Just like a boat, if you load it down too much, it will sink. You have to have priorities, be it 'the unspeakable', family, and the Green Bay Packers, and DG, great, but set your priorities, and live life to the best of your ability.

I work full time along with being a full time grad student; basically I just play after work on the way home, and on my lunch breaks hit up an open field (since the weather is nice here I don't have to worry about getting all sweaty stinky)

I work 2pm-10pm 6 days a week, so Saturdays are all I have. The wife dosent mind as long as Im home by 5pm. Hit the grocery store, cut the grass, ect. I do have 2 baskets in my back yard about 40' from each other, putting practice is nice but it aint the same as huck'n drivers.

Latest posts