• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you measure distance in an open field?

Your game will improve the more you play and distance will get better.
Your PUTTING will win the game though!

Very true. I played a pickup game with a random dude who drives pretty far, and our scores were about the same because he would always miss his first putt and I would make mine. So it would be his 1 long shot and 2 putts vs. my 2 medium shots and 1 putt

I have tried to measure my strides and use that as a guide. I might be close with my measurements or I could be way off. I tend to underestimate my drive lengths I think.

I just downloaded Google Earth and was disappointed that my field was exactly the length I thought it was. 300 ft. Which means I suck as much as I thought I did.

I was also brought back to reality when I measured my "great drives" on Google Earth.

I practice on a football field. Obviously I use the line markers for distance but I also use the sidelines for straightness.

Very true. I played a pickup game with a random dude who drives pretty far, and our scores were about the same because he would always miss his first putt and I would make mine. So it would be his 1 long shot and 2 putts vs. my 2 medium shots and 1 putt

That guy sounds like me, I park a beautiful 350 foot drive 10 feet from the basket, then I shank and miss the putt somehow. Ive been going to the park and just putting putting putting trying to eliminate that bad habit.

I walk at a normal stride and multiply the number of steps by 2 1/2. That seems to work for me. The result is probably a little high sometimes and a little low other times, but I feel it's good enough to measure my improvement (or lack of improvement)

I walk at a normal stride and multiply the number of steps by 2 1/2. That seems to work for me. The result is probably a little high sometimes and a little low other times, but I feel it's good enough to measure my improvement (or lack of improvement)

Me too, except that I take 2 steps and count that as one stride and multiple by 5 (makes the math easier, for me at least). I think mine is usally within 5%or so and if I'm off I usually come up short of the actual distance.

31VzEYDwaGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1000 foot measuring wheel. 12$

I use a 100ft measure tape, a can of orange spray chalk, and these stake flags. For first time setup, i measured out 300 ft, putting a flag at every 50 ft. When leaving, i put an X on the grass where a flag was. So next time i just bring the flags and put them back on the x's.

That guy sounds like me, I park a beautiful 350 foot drive 10 feet from the basket, then I shank and miss the putt somehow. Ive been going to the park and just putting putting putting trying to eliminate that bad habit.

LOL Same here. Or on really dificult holes, I get the drive to where it places me nicely for what should be an easy upshot, then I short arm that, then miss the putt and bogey.

I have shot tracker for my android phone. It coordinates with gps pretty good to give you a distance in yards.

Where I throw from, theris a little baseball diamond and a soccer next to each other. Using google earth, I measured the distances from each base to each goal, and it works out very nice.

Here's what I got:

Field.jpg

Nearest goal to -
1st and 2nd: 100 ft
Pitcher's mound: 125 ft
Home/3rd: 165/170 ft

Farthest goal to -
1st: 250 ft
2nd: 275 ft
Pitcher's mound: 300 ft
Home: 325 ft
Third: 350 ft

Distance between goals is 175 ft.

I keep this in my bag, and it's a good reference for all sorts of shots.