• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you react to a bad shot?

chris717

Eagle Member
Sometimes I am too hard on myself when I make a messed up shot, let my frustrated state go on then domino effect rolls over and preety soon im two strokes over my score. I realize now that just playing is a lot of fun but, does anyone else get mad when you fff up?:wall:

Disc golf can make me so angry. I have a joke with my buds about being "disc golf angry" I know that raging out in a tourny or in public is a nono but when I'm alone ir with friends I just let it out right on the spot. Kick the bag and throw discs in the woods punch trees. Whatever it takes. I find its better to let it out and have it be done with{if possible} rather than holding it in and letting it ruin the game. Go ahead and let it out

only shot that matters is the next one.;)

This is sooo true.

I used to get really upset about what I have done. I have learned to chill out. Sure I am not happy about it, but I keep what happened on the last shot. Back where I left it on the last shot.

I have one buddy that is about the same level as the rest of my buddies, but he seems to lose most of the time. Not because he can't throw as good as us, but for him getting upset over one of our nice shots or one of his messed up shots. It throws his whole game off. If he would just play the game and congratulate us when we do good. He would see he could enjoy the game that much more.

Honestly, I'm getting better at it "as I get older". I'm only 23 now, but sports in general I've always been very hard on myself when making mistakes. I can thank my girlfriend for accelerating the process, as she has refused to play a particular sport or competitive game with me for weeks at a time if the last outing resulted in me getting too angry and making the experience unenjoyable for other people.

I'm guilty of overusing F-bombs :\

A poor craftsman always blames his tools. Not to sound cheesy but i try to learn from every shot i make.

I dont let it affect me on the course, but you can bet when I get home I'll break pencils and tear the tags off of mattresses.... then I cry myself to sleep that night.

Honestly, I'm getting better at it "as I get older". I'm only 23 now, but sports in general I've always been very hard on myself when making mistakes. I can thank my girlfriend for accelerating the process, as she has refused to play a particular sport or competitive game with me for weeks at a time if the last outing resulted in me getting too angry and making the experience unenjoyable for other people.

I'm guilty of overusing F-bombs :\
Swearing is my Vice...
I have a short temper and though one shot may not blow my top, It never seems to be just one bad one, It takes me several holes to co0l down, Im just uber competitive thats all.

Just take a deep, relaxing breath.

I agree. I've noticed at times too much commentary from myself after both good and bad shots. Now I try to stay focused on the next shot and keep it fun even in the face of a f#@#ing horrible shank. I don't need to hear my own useless comments though sometimes a good loud F#$K!!! seems to help vent (depending on the company), but if I can laugh it off and move on I'm all the better for it. I find it rare to play a round without at least one shot (more likely a few) going wrong, so staying focused and making a good recovery is paramount.

Last edited:
At first, as soon as I let go of a throw I knew was bad, I'd want to turn my back and not watch it. Quickly learned why that's a bad idea, hahah.

I don't get emotional over a bad shot, but I do analyze what went wrong in my head and try to figure out what I could change for next time. Sometimes I do everything I can and **** happens, other times I griplock like a fool and I know damn well it's fully my fault. Nothing you can do but laugh at how bad of a lie you get and use the opportunity to work on your approach shots :p

Yea, I get so aggravated at myself and I know that I shouldn't. Playing disc golf is so much of a mental game, that once I get aggravated, I start with deep breaths. I'm still fairly new, so I'm use to bad shots. Once I get enough bad shots under my belt in one day, that is when that aggravation starts kicking in. :)

Yea, I get so aggravated at myself and I know that I shouldn't. Playing disc golf is so much of a mental game

+1

Of the 45 holes on my three home courses, there are only 7 holes that I don't have the tools to deuce, and 1 that I can't consistently get in 3. Yet my personal bests are 60, 53, and 51... Usually it's because I miss an easy upshot or an easy putt and start getting bogeys.

I guess that's what separates us from the pros... that and healthy shoulders.

I've trained myself to say "Ahhh juice boxes" after a bad throw. I can't remember how I arrived at the exact saying but it started after I accidentally yelled s**t in front of a family playing near by. It's not offensive, like swearing, to others on the course and it's so silly it kind of makes me smile despite my bad shot.