• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you react to a bad shot?

NEVER throw angry!

Very wise! I can usually walk it off and it seldom affects me after that shot. I never curse/throw things or blow up like some people do. A long pause and a head shake is about my limit with maybe a laugh at myself.

Occasionally have an exception - Holler in the Hills Tick or Treat tourney, Shot a little high on hole #2 and couldn't find it, guess it went in the creek. Reteed and took a circle 4, Walked to #3 thinking about the lost disc and the last hole and butchered the tee shot and took a circle 7. I put it behind me when I re-teed but I spent too much time thinking about it on the next hole.

Walk it off or it'll get you!

Last edited:
When I get mad I play worse, so I try to keep my cool. If I shoot a bad round, I'll play another and try harder that time.

Above and below, this is how I go about it.

Our little group tends to guide itself positively. It's funny, if one shanks one, the group tends to.

If I want to beat the group, I have to zero in concentrate but that is no fun so I just play the group. Hard to explain but that is the gist of it.

Nice thread.

Fortunately, I've nvr seen an angry player... I would just not want to be around someone that gets that upset about it...

The groups I've been playing with recently just make a joke out of it all... so say your disc hits a tree 10' from the tee... someone will say "got it!" or "it's on the fairway, nice job"

You can't get angry when you play with cool ppl

loudly and angrily.

moreso if i'm playing doubles and my partner shanks it too (but not out loud)

Usually an ''Uh Oh''

Then followed with a F**K!!! S**T!!!! GOD D*** IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then follow up with a beautiful upshot to save my a$$ for par!!!!!

i get pissed then let it roll off my back, get cool by my upshot, unless I f*ck that up!!!!!!! ;]

Last edited by a moderator:
Its really hard to keep your head on your shoulders, especially when you follow a bad shot with another bad shot. This is one of the biggest barriers for some of the open guys I play with. They are really easy to beat once the mess up cause they have trouble coming out of their slump. No it doesn't get easier to control your mental game the better you are.

If anything I'd say it becomes more difficult, because when you **** up a drive on a hole you deuce 90% of the time you keep envisioning in your mind all the times you've nailed that line, telling yourself "I know that's a shot I could of made."

I've seen a guy in my tourney group get mad and throw a disc at a tree, getting called for a practice throw. And I've seen a guy kick his bag and dump the group's scorecards into the wind, resulting in a scramble for cards.

I've seen a guy in my tourney group get mad and throw a disc at a tree, getting called for a practice throw. And I've seen a guy kick his bag and dump the group's scorecards into the wind, resulting in a scramble for cards.

Are you sure you dont play with my brother??

I throw my mini deep into the woods if I am outside the putting circle, and into the basket if I shanked a putt. Then I go kick dirt on my opponent.

I'm too busy analyzing my mistake and learning how to prevent it... I don't have time to get mad. Then I need to think about the next shot.

I try to act in a positive way and not dwell on the negative.

i have a friend who throws into the water almost every day. i'm waiting for the day where he goes "OH YOU GUYS LIKE GOING IN THE WATER HUH? WHY DONT YOU JOIN YOUR FRIENDS" and chucks his entire disc bag in the drink

i have a friend who throws into the water almost every day. i'm waiting for the day where he goes "OH YOU GUYS LIKE GOING IN THE WATER HUH? WHY DONT YOU JOIN YOUR FRIENDS" and chucks his entire disc bag in the drink

you should start carrying a vid camera with you, that would be quite a sight.

usually after I have a bad throw I will light a cig.

i have kids with me so i have to just shrug it off and on to the next throw......dont wanna teach bad habits.....