• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you react to a bad shot?

I use to compete in another sport (archery) as a kid and through college and had the hardest time keeping my cool and it really affected my game, not too mention that I made a fool out of myself. Needless to say this unfortunate problem followed me to disc golf, but I learned quickly that I had to find a way to forget about the bad shots and focus on the upcoming shot. The anger comes out every now and then during casual/practice rounds but it has yet to come out in a tournament thank goodness. I think I finally have it under control, a couple of weeks ago I played a tournament where everything I did just sucked, was just off my game that day I guess, but I was proud of myself that although I was furious inside I didn't blow up and throw/kick the bag at all.

I rarely get angry, most of the time I'm pretty good at laughing off bad shots.

I used to be pretty hard on myself when I would make a bad shot. I would stand there and curse, and kicked my bag a couple times lol.

I went to a tourney this summer and one of the guys in my group was angry after every shot, and was very vocal. He was making it less fun to be there, and thats when I realised that I had done the same thing with my friends so many times before.

You gotta relax, and move on when you throw a bad shot. Dont let it ruin anyones round. :thmbup:

usually i just say "wow, that was really bad".

gives me an opportunity to work on those "mad genius" shots, especially when it lands in a tough area. however, if i'm playing a competitive round and i have a poor shot, i just turn around and pick up my bag with a blank expression. even if i'm feeling frustrated with my game (or i'm making great shots and playing awesome), i don't indicate it to the rest of the players

other popular things i see from people i play with:

- swearing
- kicking bag/tree
- clutching arm in "pain" after throw
- going home

Last edited:
Sometimes I am too hard on myself when I make a messed up shot, let my frustrated state go on then domino effect rolls over and preety soon im two strokes over my score. I realize now that just playing is a lot of fun but, does anyone else get mad when you fff up?:wall:

Always forget anger after the next shot. Usually, I just kick the disc back to the fairway when no one is looking anyways.

I was heading out the door one day to play, and my wife asks me, "Why do you play disc golf anyway? You can stay home and cuss."

Sometimes I am too hard on myself when I make a messed up shot, let my frustrated state go on then domino effect rolls over and preety soon im two strokes over my score. I realize now that just playing is a lot of fun but, does anyone else get mad when you fff up?:wall:

That only seems to happen to me when it really counts... like in tournaments :doh:

other popular things i see from people i play with:

- swearing
- kicking bag/tree
- clutching arm in "pain" after throw
- going home

Swearing I get, although if it's a constant it sure gets old fast. I've made a conscious effort to put a cap on that myself. I feel like it's bad mojo to keep that up.

Kicking the bag/tree just seems childish. I don't think I've ever pulled that one.

Clutching the arm in "pain" is rather comical.

Going home? WEAK!!!

i see people throw their discs in anger, kick their bags, yell, kick tables, and i hate it. If i throw a bad shot i usually laugh and and get excited about the upshot i'm about to make. Heard "the only shot that counts is the next one" not long after i started playing, and i let that just sit in the back of my head every time i play.

Fortunately, I've nvr seen an angry player... I would just not want to be around someone that gets that upset about it...

The groups I've been playing with recently just make a joke out of it all... so say your disc hits a tree 10' from the tee... someone will say "got it!" or "it's on the fairway, nice job"

You can't get angry when you play with cool ppl

I do worse when I'm doing really good, if that makes sense. Bad shots often 'wake me up', and I start playing better, but drop a deuce on that hole that I usually throw +1, and I get cocky and it fouls up my game. I have to be really careful about the "bowler's curse". You know, the old "1 more strike, and you've bowled a perfect 300 buddy!"

Short term memory loss is a thing of beauty for this sport as long as you remember where your disc landed.

I generally say damn it or sh#* right after the release when I know it's a bad throw. I have been working on saying this in my head instead of verbally.

After that, I just concentrate on the next shot because that is the only thing that really matters if you are keeping score.

I used to get really mad...but now I contain myself. You don't wanna get in a rut, especially in a tournament. Anything can happen heh. I've realized this many times since I started NOT getting angry...where I would screw up bad on a hole but then come back and win in the end.

I do worse when I'm doing really good, if that makes sense. Bad shots often 'wake me up', and I start playing better, but drop a deuce on that hole that I usually throw +1, and I get cocky and it fouls up my game. I have to be really careful about the "bowler's curse". You know, the old "1 more strike, and you've bowled a perfect 300 buddy!"

Very true. You get all amped up about doing well then blow it by thinking too much. Been there!

When I throw a bad shot, I usually get pissed for a bout 5 seconds. Then I concentrate, get my bearings back, and get ready for the next shot.

You can't fix the past, but you can better the future.....

Latest posts