• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you throw tight fairways?

Usually, I just hit lots of trees. Lately, really only yesterday, I decided I would try throwing something that didn't curve as much, so I could control it better, and maybe not hit so many trees. So, I broke out my R-Wood Pro Ontario Roc. I got one of the best drives I've ever had one hole #15 at Rankin. I tried to play the whole round all RHBH. I only threw 3 forehands, as opposed to the typical 20+. Maybe today, I'll throw none.

I dont know why people try to rid themselves of forehand throws. You may want to become more versatile and use both but for gods sake, keep it in your arsenal!

15 at Rankin...thats not the stonehenge hole is it?

For really tight fairways most of the time I will disc down to a midrange for more control. Most of the time for a straight shot I will use one of my Comets, and depending how far I have to go will either throw it low and flat on a shorter fairway, or hyzer flip it straight if I have to put more power on it due to a longer fairway.

I dont know why people try to rid themselves of forehand throws. You may want to become more versatile and use both but for gods sake, keep it in your arsenal!

15 at Rankin...thats not the stonehenge hole is it?

Yeah, #15 is the Stonehenge hole. I don't know why is said 15 I meant #14.

About the forehand/backhand thing, I'm just trying to learn how to throw a few different shots, and my arm (elbow area) has been hurting lately from throwing forehand. I had a big knot on it last monday after playing Renny and Hornet's Nest the day before. I'll come back to it when the arm starts to feel better. Backhand throws don't hurt right now.

How do you throw tight fairways?
Carefully.
I try to throw straight, slow and low. The only exception would be a shorter tunnel (<150'), then I might throw something faster if I know that the hyzer will come after if gets through the tunnel.

im right there with ya:clap:

I usually hyzer flip a fairway driver. I use to throw an Impact but I kept hitting too many trees, aptly named disc I guess. If I can I'll throw over the trees.

Sometimes I do this: Take time to aim, do the same footwork I would normally use on an open hole, rip a Roc right where I was aiming and trust my muscle memory. I'm always suprised how well this works.

...or...

Sometimes I do this: Don't take time to aim, use no footwork because I'm scared I'll pull it into the shule, disc up from the Roc for more D and hit the first tree because I didn't trust my muscle memory.

Sometimes I do this: Take time to aim, do the same footwork I would normally use on an open hole, rip a Roc right where I was aiming and trust my muscle memory. I'm always suprised how well this works.

...or...

Sometimes I do this: Don't take time to aim, use no footwork because I'm scared I'll pull it into the shule, disc up from the Roc for more D and hit the first tree because I didn't trust my muscle memory.

Agreed. Make my disc/shot decision before getting on the tee. Once I'm there, block everything else out, and make the throw that I said I would.

Figure everything out before hand, what disc, where do I want to land, what do I need to avoid, etc. I may play it safe or I may go for it, depending on cirmcustance, but once I step up, it's time to throw.

It all depends on how long the hole is. If it is possible to get through the tight part and into the open, I go for it. If it's like hole #4 on BRP that is over 400 feet and both sides lined with lodge pole pines, I use my Impact and try to throw 250 or so low and strait.

I play lots of tight courses with very wooded fairways. My philosophy has changed back and forth since I've been playing between:

Throwing a fast disc to get past as trouble as I can
or
Throwing a more accurate but slower disc

sorta like ripping off a bandaid versus pulling slowly

Throw a Stalker or a BuzZz...whatever you can make it do with that disc, that's what you should do.

:)

It really depends on the hole, some holes I know the distance of my shots and the angles and I can throw a big driver and come up by the chains even though the whole entire length is just littered in trees.

Other holes I just blast a BuzZz up the gut.

Sometimes I go in between the two and rip a Stalker at it and let if glide to a gentle stop.

\/\/

...or...

agreed and do that most tunnel and open holes.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
I sleep all night and work all day

One thing I've learned from painful experience at my home course, which is all heavily wooded, is all mental: make sure you're fully committed to the line you're trying to hit before you start your throwing motion. If you're vacillating between throwing to the left or right of a particular tree, or trying to choose between two different lines, and there's still any doubt or hesitancy in your mind when you start to throw, as often as not you'll split the difference and drive it straight into the tree you were trying to miss.

It all depends on how long the hole is. If it is possible to get through the tight part and into the open, I go for it. If it's like hole #4 on BRP that is over 400 feet and both sides lined with lodge pole pines, I use my Impact and try to throw 250 or so low and strait.
Yeah, it totally depends on the shot. I'll rarely throw anything faster than a fairway driver unless it means a good chance of gaining a stroke with little chance of loosing one.

It's really about knowing what probability you have of hitting a tight line, picking good landing zones and accounting for fade. You have to weigh trying to get that extra 20' out of a driver over missing your line. If that extra distance only means a shorter approach but a missed line or bad skip means an extra stroke (or three) then it's probably not worth it. If the perfect shot gets you a chance at a birdie, but only happens 1/5 times and a bogie happens the other 4, but you can get a par 9/10 times on a safter line then it's probably not worth it. However, if missing the line means you need to throw a spike hyzer instead of a straight approach, but gives you the chance at gaining a stroke then (assuming you can throw spike hyzers well) then it's probably worth going for it.

In general, though, I throw slower discs on more conservative lines. The biggest thing to remember is not to wuss out on the follow through.