• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does altitude affect the flight of my disc?

FonzTYC

Par Member
I live in Colorado and my home course is at 5800 ft above sea level. I'm just curious as to what altitude does to my discs flight patterns. I know Coors field is a pain to pitch at because breaking balls don't break as hard and balls fly a lot further than sea level. For example my star Destroyer will fly about 400-420 feet. I put a little hyzer on it, flips up doesn't turn much and had a nice big fade.

I don't know the difference since I've always played at high altitude.

Thanks.

If you went to sea level, all of your discs would act more understable than you're used to if you throw them at the same release angles you do at 5800'.

High altitude makes discs MUCH more stable/overstable.

If you went to sea level, all of your discs would act more understable than you're used to if you throw them at the same release angles you do at 5800'.

High altitude makes discs MUCH more stable/overstable.

This.

When I lived at 7000, all my discs flew faster and more stable. Tournies at sea level really messed with me :)

Well that explains a lot. I always thought my discs weren't beat in enough to turnover. I saw a video with Patrick Blazek where he says everything he throws is stable because he lives in Colorado.

Adversely! At least if your from the valley it does. I went up to sky high again this weekend and played with a cool group of guys who live up in wrightwood. One of whoms dad designed and installed the course years ago. After the 3rd hole I realized all of them threw forehand all the time. By the 4th hole I understood why. 75% of the holes up there turn right at least a little and its nearly impossible, for me at least, to turn your disc over up there. Everything becomes much more stable/overstable with the elevation. . Needless to say, they all wiped the floor with me. Lots of fun though.

The air is thinner so there's less resistance/fight against your disc. I live and play at 5800'+ and play at sea level too. I've heard all types of logic on this subject. For myself my flights are longer with less effort at lower elevations.

I know a number of the Colorado folks who've come to play at the GBO have had to make adjustments due to the lower altitude here. Having played in Colorado Springs (6000') a few times and once at Beaver Ranch (8200'), I've noticed that the discs don't go quite as far.

Here is the physics:

Less dense air means less lift. So if you're throwing at the same velocity, the only way to compensate for the loss of lift is with a higher angle of attack. Higher angle of attack = center of pressure further forward on the disc. Center of pressure further forward on the disc = more stable flight charactestics.

Fortunately drag decreases in lower density air as well, so you're disc should lose velocity slower.

I found this to be useful: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=573#Air[/

I was sure that the statement about increased humidity=decreased air density was false, but a quick Wikipedia search corrected me and validated this principle. Weird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air

However, the last paragraph on the inbounds site contradicts itself, right? After saying that a disc flying in less dense air requires more speed to turn (more overstable), it says that in general terms, increased altitude=less overstable.

Yes, as they are naturally more under stable due to the lighter weight.

Not exactly. They're more susceptible to additional flight extremes at higher speeds due to the decreased amount of energy needed to throw them.

This makes sense. When I play at Solitude(8500') everything gets stable! I've actually gone to beasts to compensate for my Soli days.

Assuming a big arm (DW for sake of argument) throwing a variety of discs in the same conditions (15mph tailwind flat ground), would he be able to throw farther at sea level or 10k'

Guess when the fall/winter arrives I will be able to throw farther...The weather is hot and mostly 85% or higher humidity wise here and we are about 350' to 400' above sea level. Can't wait for some fall DG!

I live at 5200'+, and 90% of New Mexico's courses are >5200'. Definitely more stable at higher elevations. I'm a regular Mamba thrower, and wont think about using it when I go to Phoenix or near sea level.

i played the putt and pitch course in NM at 9000 feet and i just tried to put more spin on the discs to get straighter flights. i did hyzer out a bunch of times but i only played there a few times and i figured i wasn't warm enough yet.

Guess when the fall/winter arrives I will be able to throw farther...The weather is hot and mostly 85% or higher humidity wise here and we are about 350' to 400' above sea level. Can't wait for some fall DG!

Discs don't fly as far in cold air. There's a hole at my local course that's 415' an it's pretty easy for me to reach now that it's hot and humid. In the winter it requires a much harder throw to get it all the way there. It seems like the discs fly slower and more overstable with less glide. And after reading the Inbounds article, I see why. I'll have to try less stable discs in the cold....the only problem with that is it's usually windy in the winter.