• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does apparel effect your game

Chainz3

I'm looking at some cool shirts by Innova or other brands. I want to know how it plays a role in my game. Compared to a normal T-Shirt and Jeans how much worse or better will I play? Why is clothing necessary (besides your shoes which I always wear tennis shoes)? Thanks!:hfive:

If you're not comfortable, you won't play well.

This could be from being too cold, hot, wet...etc. You should also think about range of motion. You may have to crouch, kneel, bend over, jump, or stretch.

As long as whatever you're wearing allows you to do those things, and is appropriate for the climate, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Where I play in the summer time the temp can be in the 95's and 100's consistently in July and August with 100% humidity! Technical clothing/fabrics are paramount. I wear the lightest weight performance clothing I can find.

Regardless you will pour sweat and even wicking clothes will become drenched but they will still be lighter and dry faster that a crappy 100% cotton shirt that will stay wet and WEIGH a ton.

UnderArmour underwear compression type underwear is a must to cut out the dreaded chafing and rawness in your man parts.

Don't skimp on socks either, get your self some nice DeFeet brand with a coolmax blend or my personal recommendation Swiftwick compression socks. They will keep your feet feeling nice and DRY even after the sweatiest of rounds.

I get a kick out of folks who claim they get 95 or 100 degrees, AND 100% humidity. That doesn't happen. In the morning you probably get 70 - 75 degrees with 100% humidity, and then in the afternoon you might get 95 - 100 degrees, but the humidity will be 40 - 50%. It is pretty much impossible to have enough moisture in the air to have 100/100.

Don't get me wrong, that is still muggy as hell and I soak shirts in that weather. But don't get carried away!!

For me, the clothing is less about improving score and more about improving overall comfort. I doubt it has much effect on my score, but I certainly enjoy it more when I have comfortable clothing.

You need to travel more.

I've traveled all over the USA and Central America. To get 100 degrees and 100% humidity, you need a dewpoint of 100 degrees. It is incredibly rare to see a dewpoint over 75 degrees.

Since you are apparently well traveled, why not go ahead and give me a couple of examples of places in the US where this occurs regularly, or at all.

Yeah, Mark is right. Dewpoints down south in the summer are usually in the mid-70s, rarely hitting 80. Highest dewpoints by late July are actually in the midwest because of all the corn crops emitting moisture. It's not uncommon to see dewpoints in the low 80s during some of the hotter days. Having dewpoints hit 80 is insane - it's like you're breathing water.

Dewpoint of 100? Come on....

Here are the highest average dewpoints for some of the most god-awful humid places in the USA.
Houston, TX - 72.8 July
New Orleans, LA - 73.7 July
Lake Charles, LA - 74.4 July

These places are just terrible during the summer, but nowhere 95 degrees and 100% humidity. Just sayin'

Apparently the highest dewpoint ever recorded on earth was 95F in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8, 2003. The air temperature was 108F. Giving a heat index of 172F.

Definitely gonna' want your wicking T-shirt when playing DG in that. Or maybe just play shirtless.

Yeah, I remember reading about that. Persian gulf is shallow and doesn't have a lot of movement of water so it tends to heat up a ton in the summer, contributing to the high dewpoints. That explains why years ago that cyclone exploded in intensity when it ventured over the gulf..

Getting conversation back on track - I definitely find the moisture wicking clothes a must in the summer. I wish there was an easy way to keep the bag straps clean so I can wear white dri-fits. As it is, I have to wear more neutral colors so the stains from the straps don't show as much.

I've traveled all over the USA and Central America. To get 100 degrees and 100% humidity, you need a dewpoint of 100 degrees. It is incredibly rare to see a dewpoint over 75 degrees.

Since you are apparently well traveled, why not go ahead and give me a couple of examples of places in the US where this occurs regularly, or at all.

I never said anything about dew points. Accuweather had us at an air temp of 59 with the humidity of 100% at 7 am this morning.The dewpoint was listed at 59 as well. I dont claim to be a Weatherman.:D

Here in the summer you start sweatting as soon as you open the door to go outside.

Last edited:
If you're not comfortable, you won't play well.

This could be from being too cold, hot, wet...etc. You should also think about range of motion. You may have to crouch, kneel, bend over, jump, or stretch.

As long as whatever you're wearing allows you to do those things, and is appropriate for the climate, it doesn't matter what it looks like.
I agree that if your not comfortable you won't play well & that you need to have clothes that allow you to have a good range of motion. I disagree that it doesn't matter what the clothes look like though. If you think you look good in an outfit it can give you more confidence. I'm not saying that if you think you look good that you will play significantly better than normal but your mental state does have an impact on you. Like most sports the mental aspect of the game is huge, so if your feeling good about how you look it can impact your confidence & in turn how well you play. State of mind is a big factor in all areas of life. I personally like to wear athletic shorts, a Dri-Fit tee & some Nike running shoes when I play disc golf in warm weather. If its really warm I'll wear a wife beater or Dri-Fit tank.

I never said anything about dew points. Accuweather had us at an air temp of 59 with the humidity of 100% at 7 am this morning.The dewpoint was listed at 59 as well. I dont claim to be a Weatherman.

Here in the summer you start sweatting as soon as you open the door to go outside.

His point was that for the humidity to be at 100% you need to have the dewpoint equal to the temperature, therefore it's impossible for you guys to have 95-100 temps with 100% humidity. You can have one or the other, not both :)

^^ Well, within reason. I mean, you don't need to look like your wearing trash either.

I do see your point though.

1) comfort is key, dress for the environment you're playing in, and that's as much a matter of personal preference as it is about what's available out there. If you're planning to play 2-4 rounds that day, bring a change of clothes.

2) affect = verb, effect = noun

Last edited:
I never said anything about dew points. Accuweather had us at an air temp of 59 with the humidity of 100% at 7 am this morning.The dewpoint was listed at 59 as well. I dont claim to be a Weatherman.:D

I'm not trying to be an A**, but when I see folks saying "Where I play in the summer time the temp can be in the 95's and 100's consistently in July and August with 100% humidity!" I call them on it. Can't happen here in the good old USA!

I'm not trying to be an A**, but when I see folks saying "Where I play in the summer time the temp can be in the 95's and 100's consistently in July and August with 100% humidity!" I call them on it. Can't happen here in the good old USA!

Hey I am not getting hurt over a little forum sparring...:hfive:

I will admit I looked thru several June,July,and August days when the temp was just 95 and the dewpoint was only 79 to 80. I will now set off to learn the relationship of humidity and dewpoint and the effects of real feel temperatures.

I will guarantee that I will fare better than you in those conditions for a few hours spent out on the course. :D

I am done...now back to the thread about performance clothing. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts