• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does DGCR feel about this?

NOStheBOSS

Double Eagle Member
Another exhibit in the Super-AM debate:

A certain player, who will remain nameless, has won 2 A-Tiers and a very large B-Tier in the last month. All Advanced obviously, and by a combined 36 strokes. All more than a 10 stroke margin, each. I'm sure with some research you can determine who this is.

On the other hand, the USADGC champion just won an A-Tier in Open and took home 1500 bucks, beating the likes of Cale Leiviska and Paul Ulibarri, as well as several 1000 rated players.

Thoughts? Is it even fun to win by 10+ strokes in large tournaments?

Hate the game, not the playa.

I don't understand people who don't elevate the competition level but I'm not going to worry about their motivations. So if the guy wants to keep winning by that much I'm cool with it. Not my concern. I don't have the same level of respect for his game or sportsmanship but maybe he doesn't care about the perception of others. If I was his friend though I would be shunning the guy and giving him the cold shoulder.

I don't understand people who don't elevate the competition level but I'm not going to worry about their motivations. So if the guy wants to keep winning by that much I'm cool with it. Not my concern. I don't have the same level of respect for his game or sportsmanship but maybe he doesn't care about the perception of others. If I was his friend though I would be shunning the guy and giving him the cold shoulder.

It just kind of sucks when you see who is signed up for a tournament and have to think "Well I guess it's a battle for second..." before it even starts!

It just kind of sucks when you see who is signed up for a tournament and have to think "Well I guess it's a battle for second..." before it even starts!

If enough people opt out of tournaments he's playing for that reason it might make a difference. I don't know. He's not breaking any rules though. If he's going to play advanced you all should play open and make him look like a chump.

So get better.

I understand the frustration, but at the same time, Advanced is not a ratings protected division. So if you're going to play Advanced, you should have no expectation of handicapped competition.

apples and oranges. winning A tier events as an am doesn't guarantee anything once you move to open. winning a single event over established professionals doesn't guarantee future performance in the open division.

the actual am player winning 2 A tiers and a B tier could be a good open player, and should seriously be considering it. a full playing year (3-9 months depending upon location) of winning am events is a determining factor. once you've filled up your bag a few times over and have settled on relatively few discs vs what's available you're probably ready to give mpo a go.

the am player winning over established pros and accepting cash means he is no longer an am player, so he'll start actually having to fight for his bread week in and week out with dozens of other players doing the same. if you think there are disc companies out there waiting to add every new mpo player to their roster, you're sadly mistaken.

this same discussion has been going on for decades with no resolution and it's unlikely to be resolved with this thread. td's are not obligated to accept entry forms. players are not required to enter the division that gives them the least chance of getting some of their entry fees back.

it's a personal issue really, and one that needs to be resolved internally.

Sounds like he is hurting himself by not bumping to open. If he wins by 10 in Am1, that prolly cashes at the top in Open. I would rather have $500+ then 160$ funny money. Let him bag, he will slowly lose friends and money. He will bump up

So get better.

I understand the frustration, but at the same time, Advanced is not a ratings protected division. So if you're going to play Advanced, you should have no expectation of handicapped competition.

likewise, the am player should have no expectation of prizes, money, plastic or anything other than trophies.

Yeah, I know, I suck and should get better. However...

brettricewku, a member here, has been steadily on the incline in rating and finishes this year. He is the top rated AM in Kentucky and played ABOVE his rating at a particular A-Tier and lost to this individual by 11 strokes.

he would also have won over $1000 combined at these 3 events I am listing (in Open)

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, I suck and should get better. However...

brettricewku, a member here, has been steadily on the incline in rating and finishes this year. He is the top rated AM in Kentucky and played ABOVE his rating at a particular A-Tier and lost to this individual by 11 strokes.

he would also have won over $1000 combined at these 3 events I am listing (in Open)

Some people need to play the game of life on the easiest setting. It sucks that they're winning everything, but it makes them look pretty pathetic as a person. You can't make someone not be a douche.

You'll always have sandbaggers. Nothing you can do it about it unfortunately. I worked in a bowling alley for a few years when I was younger. There was one guy who never shot higher than a 250 during league and his average was around 225 but when it came to tourneys with money on the line he never shot below 250.

Problem I see is Brett is barely playing at his current rating... more rounds below 960 than above lately. Aaron is playing way above his 979 right now... some would just call this a hot streak and not bagging. His rating will go up significantly soon enough... although at Worlds, he never shot over 1000.

Just saying that some guys get in the zone from time to time. At least that's another way to look at it.

Summary.

Some people think you should be better if you are losing. However, it doesn't change that it makes tournaments less fun when people are clearly bagging.

No, it's not a cool thing to do. However, I don't know many people that would turn down winning and cash so they could be properly registered, out of their league and lose.

Usually when someone seems way to awesome for a division, it's because they are bad in the next one.

Latest posts