• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does DGCR feel about this?

My point for playing tournaments is to play with friends and play well for my standards. Of course I want to win, but if I feel like I played to the best of my ability and get 4th, I couldn't care less. I would be happy with that. I would much rather feel like I did not leave a shot out there, and take 6th, than to win and feel like I could have shot 5 strokes better.

myoung, I am done reading your comments directed at me. enough. I didn't post the golfer's name because I did not wish to call him out specifically. I meant to bring it up as a discussion topic and to hear opinions from other people about the situation.

The main statement from my OP was meant to be "Is it even fun winning by 10+ strokes in large tournaments." It does not deter me from entering tournaments that he's in, but I just know that first place is not attainable. I can't shoot 1000 rated golf consistently, I have never even had a 1000 rated round. I'm definitely not saying I would be winning these tournaments if he played Open. I don't care if I'm playing Rec, Advanced Women, Grandmasters, etc. I think he should be playing Open. That's my opinion.

Look at his ratings detail and show me the last time he has shot 1000 rated golf consistently. He hasn't. He's on a hot streak right now. You know why he wins? Not because he shoots 1000 rated rounds. Because he steps up to every tournament believing he has a chance to win. You will never get anywhere with the attitude you have right now.

I have played with Aaron before and he's a competitive guy. I know I can beat him though. Consistently? No. Right now? Probably not while he's on his hot streak. But I know his game and I know mine. It would be a fun battle and I would enjoy the competition. That's what the game is all about. You can't just look at a player by his numbers and decide your fate on that.

Last but not least, you shouldn't complain about not having a chance to win an A-tier in advanced if you haven't ever shot a 1000 rated round. That's the kind of play necessary to win the bigger events and it seems you just don't have it right now. Practice until you do, and don't complain about people that have put in the time and are now reaping the rewards. There's nothing special about 1000 rated play, it just means you didn't screw up too much.

He does. He was going for points last year, and towards the end he was battling with another AM for top points so they were playing every event they could. He ended up taking first place, so he achieved his goal.

Aaron has been on a real hot streak lately. I haven't seen him play this solid... ever. Good for him. You guys are funny with the bagger statements. You have a guy that's a solid Advanced player that has not been dominant by any means suddenly win 3 in a row and now he's bagging? You probably didn't even know who he was until now.

What is the payoff for most AM points? Is it just bragging rights?

I say good for him for playing well. If he wants to prove that he is the best of the rest and not compete for cash, that is fine with me. If we are playing in the same tournament and he beats me fairly, good for him. I will practice more. Hopefully I will have learned something from him while he kicked my butt.

As it has been mentioned before, Advanced is not a ratings protected division. There is no such thing as bagging in advanced. Advanced players (myself included) just always want to believe that they are better than they are. Getting rid of the competition does not prove that you are better.

:thmbup: :thmbup: :clap: :clap:

The main statement from my OP was meant to be "Is it even fun winning by 10+ strokes in large tournaments." It does not deter me from entering tournaments that he's in, but I just know that first place is not attainable. I can't shoot 1000 rated golf consistently, I have never even had a 1000 rated round. I'm definitely not saying I would be winning these tournaments if he played Open. I don't care if I'm playing Rec, Advanced Women, Grandmasters, etc. I think he should be playing Open. That's my opinion.

Ignore for a second the tournament and who else is playing. Say you were a 950 player and you shot 990 rated rounds for a tournament. Would it be fun? I bet it would, whether you won or not. That is probably what it feels like for him right now. If I had to guess, winning by 10+ strokes is largely irrelevant to him. I bet he is psyched that he is playing well relative to his own skill level.

Also, it is easy to say that he should be playing open, but as a good advanced player I can tell you that is an annoying situation if you want to still play a few Am majors. You pay more money to enter, knowing that you have to accept merch if you play well. More expense for no benefit.

What is the payoff for most AM points? Is it just bragging rights?

No payouts. Just a big heavy trophy that you get during the player banquet the following year. I think most advanced points winners don't start the year with the goal of winning the title, but sometime around mid-season they realize they have a chance and they start going after it.

Look at his ratings detail and show me the last time he has shot 1000 rated golf consistently. He hasn't. He's on a hot streak right now. You know why he wins? Not because he shoots 1000 rated rounds. Because he steps up to every tournament believing he has a chance to win. You will never get anywhere with the attitude you have right now.

I have played with Aaron before and he's a competitive guy. I know I can beat him though. Consistently? No. Right now? Probably not while he's on his hot streak. But I know his game and I know mine. It would be a fun battle and I would enjoy the competition. That's what the game is all about. You can't just look at a player by his numbers and decide your fate on that.

Last but not least, you shouldn't complain about not having a chance to win an A-tier in advanced if you haven't ever shot a 1000 rated round. That's the kind of play necessary to win the bigger events and it seems you just don't have it right now. Practice until you do, and don't complain about people that have put in the time and are now reaping the rewards. There's nothing special about 1000 rated play, it just means you didn't screw up too much.

Jesus Christ.

*****I DID NOT EVER SAY THAT I WISHED HE DID NOT PLAY THESE EVENTS BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE WON. SEE MY OTHER POSTS*****

should I have to make 5 more posts to explain this or can this be understood?

it must be fun for him. the thing that gets me is your trying to judge this guys motive without probably even knowing this guy. if you do know him that sucks even more to get on here and call him out. if you know him why dont you have a talk with the guy before you beat him down on the internet. or you could do the ultimate and GET BETTER AND BEAT HIM.

it must be fun for him. the thing that gets me is your trying to judge this guys motive without probably even knowing this guy. if you do know him that sucks even more to get on here and call him out. if you know him why dont you have a talk with the guy before you beat him down on the internet. or you could do the ultimate and GET BETTER AND BEAT HIM.

In the OP's defense, I didn't get the impression that he was "beating him down on the internet." He is allowed to have an opinion and it is a legitimate topic for discussion.

dead-horse.gif

It is, but he's also making the assumption that this guy is constantly beating people and how could it possibly be fun to always do that. The point is that he plays a lot of tournaments and doesn't win a lot of them. He's always in the hunt. He's on a hot streak now where he won 3 in a row. Good for him.

Winning by a 10 stroke margin is big, but it's not a walk in the park. That's only 2-3 strokes per round that you're always trying to maintain. It's hard mentally to hold on to a lead in a tournament. I think after his 3rd round he was finally able to breathe and relax during his 4th round, but I wouldn't say the whole event was a walk in the park and didn't provide him with competition or push him to perform.

Oddly enough, his performance wouldn't have even placed him in the cash in Open at this event. Usually winners of advanced play well enough to get some cash had they played, but this wasn't the case at Charlie Vettiner. That's some crazy competition in the open field.

Jesus Christ.

*****I DID NOT EVER SAY THAT I WISHED HE DID NOT PLAY THESE EVENTS BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE WON. SEE MY OTHER POSTS*****

Dude, if you have'nt figured it out yet then you have the problem. you come on this site like a girl and complain about not being able to get a chance at placing first because of another player. that just sounds like a bag of horse s##t. it's guys like you who get on here and make this sport stagnate. competition makes you better dude. if you wake up everyday and face life this way, you're gonna have alot of bad days. once again GET BETTER AND BEAT THE GUY!!!!!

Oddly enough, his performance wouldn't have even placed him in the cash in Open at this event. Usually winners of advanced play well enough to get some cash had they played, but this wasn't the case at Charlie Vettiner. That's some crazy competition in the open field.

Not necessarily true.
Amateurs only played three rounds while pro divisions played four.

So Aaron's -21 is not the same as Manabu's -21.

They also played different courses on different days. Pros played Seviren on Saturday, CV on Sunday. Ams reverse.

All of that withstanding, I agree with you Romon.
One of my best friends in disc golf is Matthew Kern, and I have asked him before if he wishes he would have remained an amateur a little bit longer and tried to achieve some goals. (A-Tier win, Am Nats, Worlds, etc.) He answered with a resounding yes.

Unfortunately, he succumbed to the pressures of all the cries of "bagger" and "move up". Now he has gone on to win some nice regional tournaments and is an Innova sponsored player, so it's not like moving up totally ruined his life or anything.

The point I'm making is that as a community, we should not be trying to force or shame players into moving up because of some arbitrary number.

He was one stroke off the lead card before the final round...and the Am1 played the same schedule as the Pros, just as an FYI

Jesus Christ.

Sorry, but your second post in this thread was
It just kind of sucks when you see who is signed up for a tournament and have to think "Well I guess it's a battle for second..." before it even starts!

Which you worded like it was his presence at the event that prevented you from ever having a chance at winning the event. I guess you just assumed that's what others were feeling like? I can guarantee you that not everyone felt that way, and those that did never had a chance to begin with.

He was one stroke off the lead card before the final round...and the Am1 played the same schedule as the Pros, just as an FYI

Oh, I didn't notice that the final round is missing for AMs while the open players had all rounds reported already. That makes more sense.

I think we're going to need a sandbagging accusation mega thread soon. Just like the one for lost discs.

Isn't "bagging" deliberately depressing your rating so you can unfairly compete in a protected division? (Like that bowler above.)

That would be cheating, like using a fake ID to get into Grandmasters.

But, when there is no upper limit on rating, there is no point in depressing your rating, and there can be no possibility of bagging, right?

Isn't turning in the best performance in your division kind of the whole point? What everyone should aspire to? Not something to cause a person to be shunned and shamed.

Latest posts