• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does late turn work?

you can throw a hyzerflip to turnover shot or you can throw a flat shot that turns late. nothing to do with wind. the former is easier, the latter is better imo. you can use a neutral disc instead and it's more controllable.

what i'm really trying to tell you is that you need to throw comets.

Comets...yes, best control disc I have ever had in my hands

I should have put about 30 more quotations around my use of """""""a few instances""""""" in the post I wrote above. I think many of you misunderstood that part and took it to mean: the reason for all (or even a majority) of the late-turn-throws.

Info gathered from this thread.

My understanding is that spin keeps a disc from fading or turning, more spin equals a straighter flight.

A disc could go straight and turn at the end of the flight if the spin has reduced enough when the disc still has enough speed to turn.

This probably isn't an easy thing to do. You would have to use a disc with very specific ratings and have the form that can produce more speed with less spin, and it would only do this at a very specific distance.

I would imagine it would require an understable disc that has and some LSS seasoned out of it.

Edit: I just reread the OP. - To clarify further, the speed a disc is thrown, not the spin, will make it fly understable.

There's a lot of misinformation in that thread you linked. Many posters got close to the right answer only to draw a wrong conclusion somewhere.

DG_Player's post (#52 in that thread) is 100% correct.

High spin will make a disc more resistant to changing angle. If you release a disc with hyzer and high spin, it will try to remain in hyzer for a longer time. Lots of spin + flat release = straighter flight for a longer time. Lots of spin + anhyzer release = anhyzer flight for a longer time. This is the same theory that MVP tries to take advantage of - instead of increasing spin, they're increasing mass at the outer rim, but the result is (theoretically) the same: high gyroscopic stability and resistance to change.

From what I can tell, Feldberg's explanation of "two-angle throws" is pretty much nonsense. He's getting the right result due to the right release angle, and whatever happens before that release point doesn't matter.

Late turn is pretty much just an understable disc released on a hyzer-flip line with enough speed. It's really tough to nail, but there's not much magic involved.

Late turn is pretty much just an understable disc released on a hyzer-flip line with enough speed. It's really tough to nail, but there's not much magic involved.

Having less than 1% of the Todd's understanding of physics, this is what I believe it is. I think the idea of rolling the wrist under during the pull around the front of the disc most likely destabilizes the disc a little bit, creating the flip.

I can make this shot happen with an Anode (or at least I have made it happen quite a few times) where it flies straight for about 250' then turns the last 35-40'... and after much thinking about it, messing with it, I really think I'm finding just the right balance where it's a small hyzer flip - that wouldn't flip if I didn't cheat the nose down during the release. When I didn't cheat the nose down, it would fly straight with no fade - adding the few degrees of nose down, it was flipping later in the flight.

Latest posts