• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far am I supposed to throw before I use 11+ speed

I'll also say that even if you're throwing those discs that far, there's no problem with throwing slower discs as your distance driver instead. In my last couple practice sessions I've been getting my Rocs out to 330'-350' about a third of the time but I still prefer speed 9 or 10 discs for distance drivers.

my god i cant even imagine throwing my roc 350 ive hit max like 300... and ive been working on it for a loooong time

Just a couple things. I would agree that ideally those would be the distances seperating those particular discs, but I would also point out that even though I can't obtain those distances, I use each of those discs and I usually maintain that type of seperation between them. For instance, I can throw the Boss and destroyer anywhere from 300' to 360', the Boss seems to hold a straighter line and is more consistently in the 350 range. I have a Valk that I'm just learning to throw, and it's ususally just a little shorter than those two.

I guess my point is that for distance, these are still my go-to discs even though I can't satisfy the potential that they offer. I could never get close to 360' throwing a fairway driver. My best with a Tee bird or Leopard is between 280-300'.

I'm no expert on the physics of disc flight, but It seems like you've got a good amount of arm speed and not as much snap. If you can get a Boss out to 360, but sometimes only out to 300', then I'd say the difference between those two throws is probably in the snap.

I'll also say that even if you're throwing those discs that far, there's no problem with throwing slower discs as your distance driver instead. In my last couple practice sessions I've been getting my Rocs out to 330'-350' about a third of the time but I still prefer speed 9 or 10 discs for distance drivers.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but if you can throw a Roc 340' on flat ground consistently, then I don't know why you are still throwing speed 9-10 discs as your distance drivers. I have nothing against slower drivers (i'm all for them), but if you can throw a Roc 340' consistently, then I'm sure you could throw a Boss at least 400' consistently.

I really get tired of these threads b/c this is super subjective, everyone's biomechanics are so different that it seems folly to tell someone that disc A is too fast for them. I'll stop being a kill joy now. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but if you can throw a Roc 340' on flat ground consistently, then I don't know why you are still throwing speed 9-10 discs as your distance drivers. I have nothing against slower drivers (i'm all for them), but if you can throw a Roc 340' consistently, then I'm sure you could throw a Boss at least 400' consistently.
If you call 1/3 of the time "consistantly." ;)

There are two things going on with me. First, because I'm not doing it consistantly with mids, I'm doing it even less consistantly with fairway and distance drivers. I can get a rip like that (380'-400' with a Gazelle) about 1/5 of the time and a rip like that with an Avenger (400'-420') 1/10 of the time. It gets less and less frequent the faster the disc. However, if I get my Pro Orc or Champ Wraith turned over on a distacne line I can get >400' most of the time.

Second, I choose to throw slower distance drivers for the extra control. I could throw a Star Destroyer and maybe get 10' more than an Avenger, but I'd have less control of where it goes probably negating any distance gain I may have seen. With the Avenger I can hit the upper end of what I can do with my slower fairway drivers easier and on a lower line. You actually get a stronger rip with narrower rimmed discs.

All I'm saying is that there's nothing saying that faster = better. Just because you can throw something faster doesn't mean it's necessarily the best disc for you.

All I'm saying is that there's nothing saying that faster = better. Just because you can throw something faster doesn't mean it's necessarily the best disc for you.

Those my friends are some wise words to throw by. I wish I would have said that. That second line is perfect for a signature.

Garublador, quick edit your entry real quick! Take out that second line for me. ;)

Ah, what you could throw, and what you should throw. The purpose is lower scores, so control and constency always will win. I could probably rip a roc about 310' if I put everything into it, but it wouldn't be consistent. So there is no point. 280' is my consistent max. So I pull out a Teebird. And if its 350 its a Valk or something depending on the shot, line, etc. And if it's 400 ft, a Wraith, Destroyer, or Boss would do me no good because I don't have the technique and power. It's still a Valk to 350 and then a 50+ foot approach.

If you call 1/3 of the time "consistantly." ;)

There are two things going on with me. First, because I'm not doing it consistantly with mids, I'm doing it even less consistantly with fairway and distance drivers. I can get a rip like that (380'-400' with a Gazelle) about 1/5 of the time and a rip like that with an Avenger (400'-420') 1/10 of the time. It gets less and less frequent the faster the disc. However, if I get my Pro Orc or Champ Wraith turned over on a distacne line I can get >400' most of the time.

Second, I choose to throw slower distance drivers for the extra control. I could throw a Star Destroyer and maybe get 10' more than an Avenger, but I'd have less control of where it goes probably negating any distance gain I may have seen. With the Avenger I can hit the upper end of what I can do with my slower fairway drivers easier and on a lower line. You actually get a stronger rip with narrower rimmed discs.

I totally understand throwing slower for more control. I, like almost everyone, started off with a disc a little too fast for me (old mold beast), and I worked up to it and learned to throw it well. So i've just always figured out the faster drivers.

I'm not calling you out on it, but if you're only hitting 340' 1/3 of the time, then how often are you hitting the 330-350 mark? just wondering, more or less.

For a disc that was made to be utilized by less than 5% of players, i have to say the boss sure gets a lot of air time around here. Heaven forbid we dont have the latest and greatest and fastest disc made in the bag. I would venture to guess that i could crank my Z Force farther out than most people carrying a boss could, i could throw my ESP Flash farther for that matter. Im sick of seein people that have 2 star boss's in their bag because "thats my go to hyzer disc". My advice would be to keep throwing what you are throwing until you arnt shanking it at all when you go for big D. Then work up slowly, try an xcal or force, but leave the boss to the guys that can throw em the way they were made to be thrown.

I'm not calling you out on it, but if you're only hitting 340' 1/3 of the time, then how often are you hitting the 330-350 mark? just wondering, more or less.
During my last couple practice sessions I was hitting ~340' with my Rocs about 1/3 of the time. I can hit at least 330'-360' (the opposite enzone) most all of the time with anything faster (Gazelles, Teebirds, Avenger, OLF, Spirit, Destroyer).

I'm with BrotherDave. If you can control it and you have a use for it, I can't think of a reason not to. I played with a guy today who's over 40 and has lost some distance on his drives, so by my estimate his longest, strongest drives are around 300-320'. But he plays with Destroyers and Grooves and such, and he knows how to shape their lines. I had an "aha!" moment playing a round with him today, where he threw a Destroyer at a 220' hole and parked it. In the future I'll be throwing that hole that way.

I'm with BrotherDave. If you can control it and you have a use for it, I can't think of a reason not to. I played with a guy today who's over 40 and has lost some distance on his drives, so by my estimate his longest, strongest drives are around 300-320'. But he plays with Destroyers and Grooves and such, and he knows how to shape their lines. I had an "aha!" moment playing a round with him today, where he threw a Destroyer at a 220' hole and parked it. In the future I'll be throwing that hole that way.
It depends on whether or not you're going to try to improve your distance or line shaping skills. If you've decided that you're as good as you're going to get then it's not a problem. If you want to improve either of those parts of your throw then you're just making it harder for yourself.

The main reason I bought a Champ Boss was to see the difference between it and my speed 9,10 discs. If I'm having a good day with timing and snap it's a good driver I can throw accurately if I have enough room to make it work. But more often I use it as a head wind driver. If I keep it low and release it on an annie it will s-curve nicely and run pretty straight. Most of my other discs would flip over in the same situation. I can throw a Valk just as far as the Boss in most situations and the Valk is more controllable. The biggest arm I know (~600) feet does not own a Boss. His go-to driver is the XCaliber.

I'm no expert on the physics of disc flight, but It seems like you've got a good amount of arm speed and not as much snap. If you can get a Boss out to 360, but sometimes only out to 300', then I'd say the difference between those two throws is probably in the snap.

Hey, thanks Ryan. It's funny that you say that because I think that I do have decent arm speed and have been giving consideration to my "lack of snap". What's happening , is that I'm finding that as my skills grow and my snap increases, it's changing the flight of discs that I'm usually confident in throwing. Mid-range and driver discs that have had distinctive flight paths, now turn right and don't come back when I really snap them. It's hard for me to tell if it's the disc breaking in, or the snap. Thanks for your input!:)

I cannot throw further than about 275-300 maximum and feel like I can make the destroyer do what I want it to. I have noticed as the destroyer in DX breaks in however it is starting to turn over a little more the more I play. I am getting better and the disc is beating in, but regardless I like a brand new destroyers flight on certain holes long and straight then a hard cut at the end. As long as you adjust to what the disc does you can carry anything you want. Not sure if it is essential to have a max distance. I can however throw my beat Beast (speed 10) as far as the destroyer but I have to put some hyzer on the beast to get it to flip up and go straight.

It depends on whether or not you're going to try to improve your distance or line shaping skills. If you've decided that you're as good as you're going to get then it's not a problem. If you want to improve either of those parts of your throw then you're just making it harder for yourself.

So much depends on the situation. I wouldn't throw a speed 12 disc at any old 220' hole in any old conditions. But the layout of the hole and the strong winds that day made this seasoned master's decision look pretty good to me.

So much depends on the situation. I wouldn't throw a speed 12 disc at any old 220' hole in any old conditions. But the layout of the hole and the strong winds that day made this seasoned master's decision look pretty good to me.
That's my point. The seasoned master isn't trying to improve distance and probably has excellent line shaping skills. He probably could make that shot with a lot of other discs in his bag, but he chose to use that particlular disc. He wasn't forced to use it, he chose. He's not stunting his growth because he already has the skills. Someone who wants to gain those skills will make it harder on themself by trying to emulate that.

Ah, what you could throw, and what you should throw. The purpose is lower scores, so control and constency always will win. I could probably rip a roc about 310' if I put everything into it, but it wouldn't be consistent. So there is no point. 280' is my consistent max. So I pull out a Teebird. And if its 350 its a Valk or something depending on the shot, line, etc. And if it's 400 ft, a Wraith, Destroyer, or Boss would do me no good because I don't have the technique and power. It's still a Valk to 350 and then a 50+ foot approach.

You have been playing for 0.4 years and you are already ripping your valk 350! It took me a year and a half to get there!

Latest posts