• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far would you go to find a lost disc?

As I said in another thread, if no one ever made new threads, there would be six threads on the entirety of DGCR, and everyone would spend their time pissing and moaning about the fact that people keep posting in ancient threads.

It was cute at first, but you really need to relax.

this was prerube relaxed.. where have you been?

As I said in another thread, if no one ever made new threads, there would be six threads on the entirety of DGCR, and everyone would spend their time pissing and moaning about the fact that people keep posting in ancient threads.

It was cute at first, but you really need to relax.

That was relaxed. I did not insult him or even tell him to use the search feature. I just provided the same topic so he could see more answers.
geez, now who needs to relax? :popcorn:

I've spent 3 hours searching for my go to teebird that I couldn't find, and another 3 hours searching for my first disc I've ever bought that my friend shanked into the woods... :/ Rip Teebird + Avenger SS

I've returned multiple times to a pond on my local course looking for a couple that I lost. I'll be back in there again later this fall after the lilly pads die off. I'm thinking about using a canoe and dip net this time. Nothing like wallowing around in thigh deep muck. :gross: :gross:

I've returned multiple times to a pond on my local course looking for a couple that I lost. I'll be back in there again later this fall after the lilly pads die off. I'm thinking about using a canoe and dip net this time. Nothing like wallowing around in thigh deep muck. :gross: :gross:

Forget the lilypads I wont even throw floaters at that course because of the insane amount of poisonous snakes in the water.

That was relaxed. I did not insult him or even tell him to use the search feature. I just provided the same topic so he could see more answers.

got your back homey :|

prerube, keep in mind that posting links can be taken two ways.

• one way is to assist the OP and provide them with easy access to more research/knowledge of the subject.

• the other way it can be taken is as a belittling of OP. a way of saying, duh, it's right here.

one way to avoid this in the future would be specify what you mean with some sort of disclaimer, like:

Here are a few links to some previous discussions on this subject for your research. I hope this helps.

Here is my response... (insert your helpful remark to the OP subject matter).

this will only take you a second and it will take out the possiblity of people misreading your intensions.

however, if i am misreading your intensions (i believe you are trying to be kind and helpful and fill up the downtime of your day which is what i do) and you actually are intending to be rude, then you should probably understand that being rude on the internet is just a way that an insignificant person tries vainly to show they aren't insignificant.

here is a round dog

funny-animal-photos-thats-a.jpg

to the OP i say

Holy SMOKES! you went through a lot more than i have to get a disc back. GratZ on finding it btw.

i can say that i would possibly do the same for a few of my beloved broken in discs

Have never left a disc. I am obsessive about finding my discs. Also I have climbed many trees to retrieve discs I just happened to see up there. Have added to my bag and many of my friends bags because around here most people don't tag their discs. Last week I climbed a 30 ft cedar tree and got a star xcal. While I was up there I found a star firebird that I couldn't see from the ground. Apx 20 ft away in another tree I got a CE firebird(#, returned) and a star leo(familiar name, he gave it to me). Thank you Noble DGC, Hole 4. I guess I'm saying I will go to almost any length to get discs.

1. That round dog should instantly go into the Hall Of Fame. The rest of the thread can be landfilled, but the round dog should achieve immortality.

2. I hate giving up, so I usually look for about half an hour. I normally look for ten minutes, give up, finish the round, and return after the round has finished.

3. I didn't look at all when I buried a Fly By Nite deep in some woods in the mountains at around 11 pm. No disc is worth being eaten by a bear. By contrast, I have spent probably about two hours total on the same course looking for my first Firebird, a gorgeous light orange Champion. Never did find it. The course has since been destroyed for lumber concerns, so said disc is gone forever :thmbdown:.

4. I dove fully clothed into the pond at Sunnyside in Pullman, WA because the guy we were playing with was cool and had just dumped his disc in there. I was also inebriated. That's probably the farthest I've gone though. Most of my losses are on wooded courses, but not actually IN a tree.

5. Man I love that round dog.

Leave no soldier behind?

We were about 6 holes into 27 hole course when my buddy threw his CE disc up into a tree. Luckily we could see the disc at the top of a tree (maybe not so lucky? More on that later). We ended up spending about 45 minutes trying to knock the disc down out of that damn tree. We threw baseballs, rocks, sticks anything we could think of at it but it was pretty high up in the tree & it wouldnt budge. We tried climbing the tree but it was not as easy as it seems & there was sap all over the place. Plus we didnt want to fall & break our necks! So we each took turns throwing the baseball (lucky we had one) at it until all our arms were sore! A couple of groups played through & each one of them took a shot at it too (to no avail). We were all getting pretty tired & we wanted to try & get a full round in. But it was CE plastic so my buddy was not going to leave without it. Finally I found a very long tree branch & with my buddies GF on his shoulders we were able to reach it & shake it down from the tree. It took so long to get my buddies disc down he was not able to complete the whole round (which sucked because I traveled a couple hours just to throw with him)
#1) I doubt we would've spent so much time on it if we could'nt see it.
#2) If i cant find my own disc but I find another one without a name & number on it, I would be totally OK with that & could move on.
#3) I dont throw premium plastic because I dont want to lose it & stress over that.
#4) I will typically only look for my lost disc for about 15 minutes tops!
You found a bunch of discs so that would've been plenty good enough for me!

Thanks for posting the links, I actually did go read them. The funniest thing I found was at the end of one of the threads was a post from my original username. For the life of me I could not remember my username back in 2009. Honestly, I have a difficult time using the search function, not just on this site but others. If anyone has an instruction guide on how to search more effectively, I'm all ears.

I see your point, err more like your signature, about how reposting the same topic over and over can dilute the board. But consider this, the links you provided were from a discussion from 2009. People like to have current discussion rather than go back and read through threads from years ago. Now if I see the same topic, I'll usually pass over it, or might glance at a few posts. But anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to post the previous links and was not offended by it.

Never regretted what I have done to retrieve a disc (a few good stories about them), always regretted leaving the one disc that I didn't find (in the ditch on the 8th hole at Castle Hayne).

It really depends on what disc. If for instance, it's an ESP Nuke (or other current massive produced disc) I'll look maybe 5-10 minutes before I shrug my shoulders and move on. That's why I have back ups of back ups of back ups. If it's something that is hard to find such as my ESP Venoms, I will not leave till I find that disc. I will camp at the hole, set up a military checkpoint at the next tee pad to makes sure that the disc wasn't found by another person. It really depends on the disc for me. I did once dive into the Spokane River in February to save my buddies disc. River was high, it was 40 degree's outside and it was getting colder by the minute. The only reason I did this for him is it was the last gift he had gotten from his Father's fiance before she passed away from brain stem cancer. He was in tears about it and before I could even contemplate it I was in the river. We ended the round right after that as I didn't want hypothermia. To this day, anytime he pulls that disc out, he gives me a hug. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy :)

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a "lost" disc, just one that you gave up on. That being said I have only "given up" on 3 discs, two I threw into the water at Walnut Creek in Cville in cold weather, (Not getting pneumonia for $20 worth of plastic) and the second was at Castle Hayne. Lost a brand new GL Trident on hole 8 as well. Didn't make sense, that crappy ditch along the right side is 2 feet wide and never even knee deep but 45 minutes of searching and it was never found.......

I definitely hate losing discs, and usually don't give up very easily.

I've plunged in up to my waste in ponds, and then waded around (opaque water) for maybe ten minutes. To no avail (OK - I found one other disc that time; returned).

I've done search patterns in the snow - always successfully. Sometimes taking... 10 minutes?

I've hunted around in the woods for.... 15 minutes might be my longest successful search? 20? Though it sure feels like a lot longer.

Several times I've had long searches in the gloaming, when I'm playing too long after sunset. Sometimes I find it. Several times I've come back bright and early the next morning, and almost always (three of five?) have found it, and within a few minutes.

I've also had, alas, unsuccessful searches. Sometimes even with a pretty good idea where the disc went into the {woods, weeds, etc.}.

So, nothing extraordinary, perhaps. But I'm usually fairly persistent.

I hate losing just about anything (I'm still sore about my mag lite with belt holster... did I leave it on the practice field? Did my kids walk off with it?).

Haha. Yeah you were pretty mellow here.

Thanks for posting the links, I actually did go read them. The funniest thing I found was at the end of one of the threads was a post from my original username. For the life of me I could not remember my username back in 2009. Honestly, I have a difficult time using the search function, not just on this site but others. If anyone has an instruction guide on how to search more effectively, I'm all ears.

I see your point, err more like your signature, about how reposting the same topic over and over can dilute the board. But consider this, the links you provided were from a discussion from 2009. People like to have current discussion rather than go back and read through threads from years ago. Now if I see the same topic, I'll usually pass over it, or might glance at a few posts. But anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to post the previous links and was not offended by it.

The thread may be from 2009, but the last posts are often not. You can still post in those threads and people will answer with up to date information. I probably would not have remembered those other threads if I had not had to reference them so many times for Katana.

I generally have a 20 min rule.. My local track is pretty gnarly with trees, shrubs tall bushes and grass everywhere.

I find if I look to long it just ruins my game..