• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I added 40' to my drive in two weeks

BossHawg

Hey fellow disc golf addicts, this is my first post, but I felt compelled to give something back to this forum since I've learned so much in the past several weeks, and gained so much as a result. Here are a few tips that led me from a 350' max drive to a 390' max drive in two weeks of reading this forum, obsessing over youtube videos, and watching videos of my own drives, and of course practicing like crazy.

Now keep in mind that these tips may not actually help you as much because you likely don't have the exact problems I did, but in case you have a hard time properly transferring weight, pivoting on your heel and bracing against your plant leg, here you go:

I basically could not figure out how to brace on the plant leg, so my drives would involve my whole body flying forward as I released the disc. Once I learned from this genius "loopghost" (who I'm pretty sure posts here) I almost instantly understood how to properly transfer weight so as to pivot on my plant foot. This video from him was critical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleUjYKwf0g

When I combined this with learning how to pivot on my heel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleUjYKwf0g

And started throwing with a hyzer angle like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywEyfD1zTtQ

Then I suddenly started throwing 390' hyzer flip lasers. Throwing with a slight hyzer angle helped me a ton because I find it harder to fly past my brace when leaning over slightly for the hyzer angle.

I could basically just stop here and be a competent disc golfer, but why stop now? If you made it this far, feel free to check out my current form and also feel free to let me know what I should try to focus on improving next: https://youtu.be/lhavPSliVwA

Thanks guys. I love this forum.

Welcome to the forum. :thmbup:

Still some work to be done on your brace or shift. Your rear leg is late and pushing your upper body over your front leg instead of shifting in dynamic balance to front leg. Note how your head is tilted over right ear down into shoulder, and how your rear shoulder is finishing downward over your front foot. Note how my rear shoulder finishing upward like an upper cut over the front foot into upright balanced finish on front leg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvvF6eW-by8#t=7m30s
attachment.php

Also note how you are pulling your elbow down and in close to your body, instead of being pulled up and out taut and forward and whipping out. So your disc is not really swinging in close to your body/center nor extended out very far away at release, whereas Thomas swings the disc much further forward into his center and extended much further out away at release.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.14.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.14.20 AM.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 533
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 2.17.39 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 2.17.39 AM copy.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 528
Wow, thanks sidewinder22, this is really helpful information. I just went out and practiced keeping behind the brace and staying balanced, upright, as you suggested in your first suggestion. I'm getting about the same distance but it definitely takes less effort. It's also a different feeling as I can feel my hips doing more, powering the disc via rotation of my core vs. me lunging forward. I'll keep working on it.

I also tried keeping the disc closer to my chest, similar to Thomas Gilbert, but for some reason this actually seems to slow me down, probably because I'm consciously thinking about it. I even hit my chest a few times. There was one drive today where I somehow accidentally had the disc really close when I pulled through and released it though, when I wasn't trying to, and for a split second I could really fill the power at the hit. That was my farthest throw of the day too. Close to 400'. It's just so hard to get my body to do that again when it seems to want to revert to my usual semi-rounding. Anyway, thanks for the tips and the drills. I'll keep working on it.

One thing that does make it challenging to improve based on using some of the pros as examples is that they all have slightly different styles. Thomas Gilbert, for example, seems to pull through and release much higher up through his chest, sort of like the Beto drill or Avery Jenkins, but Eagle, Will Schusterick, Simon and others seem to pull through much lower down, through their solar plexus. That feels more natural to me, but I'll keep experimenting with pulling through higher with my elbow out. Thanks for all the help. It's much appreciated.

One thing that does make it challenging to improve based on using some of the pros as examples is that they all have slightly different styles. Thomas Gilbert, for example, seems to pull through and release much higher up through his chest, sort of like the Beto drill or Avery Jenkins, but Eagle, Will Schusterick, Simon and others seem to pull through much lower down, through their solar plexus. That feels more natural to me, but I'll keep experimenting with pulling through higher with my elbow out. Thanks for all the help. It's much appreciated.
Swing thru height really depends on your posture and type of throw. If you look at your release your arm isn't being pulled taut/extended like olympic hammer throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQYGzTlVetQ&t=7m
veDfb08.png

QAqBYI9.png

Out of sheer curiosity, what molds are you using to hit max distance consistently?

390' consistently is no joke. Most people will never throw that far. If I'm having a bad day that's about what I max out at.

Once you go over 400' the gains are much slower, and you really start to figure out which discs will give you every foot of distance you think you deserve.

Hyzerflips will provide surprisingly good distance. You won't even have to throw very high either.

Out of sheer curiosity, what molds are you using to hit max distance consistently?

390' consistently is no joke. Most people will never throw that far. If I'm having a bad day that's about what I max out at.

Once you go over 400' the gains are much slower, and you really start to figure out which discs will give you every foot of distance you think you deserve.

Hyzerflips will provide surprisingly good distance. You won't even have to throw very high either.

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm not even throwing 300 feet yet and I'm throwing a Gstar Sidewinder. If and when I'm even able to throw that far will I need a more stable mold? I figure I'll just worry about that when the times comes, I have a ways to go before I'll be able throw even 300 feet.

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm not even throwing 300 feet yet and I'm throwing a Gstar Sidewinder. If and when I'm even able to throw that far will I need a more stable mold? I figure I'll just worry about that when the times comes, I have a ways to go before I'll be able throw even 300 feet.

Sidewinders will easily handle 350' power without getting too flippy.

You'll know when its time to look for something beefier. If your flat or hyzer throws start turning too much and not coming back, get something else.

If you aren't at 300' yet the Sidewinder should still work OK.

If you feel like toying with something faster, you could try a Mamba. Its 2 speeds faster, but still fairly flippy.

I think it would have to get pretty beat up to not be usable. I throw old beat up Star Roadrunners and Sidewinders 400'+.

Oftentimes discs can appear more stable when you start to get cleaner form with more speed/spin on the disc.

My farthest throw (by sheer luck captured by the video in my first post) was 175g G* Shryke. It was a mild Hyzer flip that turned over ever so slightly before finishing almost completely straight. The crazy thing is that I practice throwing into a net with a much lighter 147g Blizzard Destroyer that I can throw 58 mph according to the radar gun I'm using. The Shryke I can only throw about 54 mph. So, theoretically, my destroyer should go farther, but in the field, it's too hard for me to accurately control. My second fastest hyzer flip disc is my 167g G* Katana. That thing flips up and flies 5' off the ground in a straight laser, hoverboard shot. I honestly would be happy if I can just keep hitting that straight laser hyzer flip out to around 400', which it kind of looks like I can now. You can't really ask for more than that. Without hyzer flipping that disc though, it's basically uncontrollable for me. I highly recommend playing around with high speed, understable drivers for those max, straight distance lines!

I've also had good luck with a 166g champ Mamba, but it's a trickier disc that needs a lot more height to level out at. Hope this helps.

My farthest throw (by sheer luck captured by the video in my first post) was 175g G* Shryke. It was a mild Hyzer flip that turned over ever so slightly before finishing almost completely straight. The crazy thing is that I practice throwing into a net with a much lighter 147g Blizzard Destroyer that I can throw 58 mph according to the radar gun I'm using. The Shryke I can only throw about 54 mph. So, theoretically, my destroyer should go farther, but in the field, it's too hard for me to accurately control. My second fastest hyzer flip disc is my 167g G* Katana. That thing flips up and flies 5' off the ground in a straight laser, hoverboard shot. I honestly would be happy if I can just keep hitting that straight laser hyzer flip out to around 400', which it kind of looks like I can now. You can't really ask for more than that. Without hyzer flipping that disc though, it's basically uncontrollable for me. I highly recommend playing around with high speed, understable drivers for those max, straight distance lines!

I've also had good luck with a 166g champ Mamba, but it's a trickier disc that needs a lot more height to level out at. Hope this helps.

I'd have to put Shrykes in my top 3 current longest molds. Those things will surprise you. Star and G* Shrykes are stunningly long. They're able to absorb a pretty big rip without totally flipping all over the place. I've gone over 450' lots and lots of times with Shrykes of all plastics.

Another mold you should take a hard look at is the Ballista. Fairly similar to a Shryke, but a speed faster. They're wild, but super long.

Oh, and don't go to sleep on the Tern. Despite being only speed 12 they'll hang with anything out there. I've had some of the longest rips of my life with Terns.

I've been on a Katana kick lately too. Those things are unmatched in terms of sheer distance potential. Katanas tend to be a hair beefier than Shrykes. They flip over, but have enough late fade to always come back late. You might also take a look at the Daedalus. IMO it isn't as good as the Katana or Shryke, but they're worthy of mention.

Thanks for the tips. I've never tried the Ballista. I'll check that one out. I have a champ Tern that is a great disc. It seems about as fast as the Shryke, honestly.

Another disc that flies super far for me is an old, slightly beat in 167g R-Pro Boss. It's not as reliable as those other discs, but when you hit a good line with it, it goes really far.

When I'm not throwing hyzer flips, I'm a big fan of the G* Corvette as well. Those are beefier, but very fast. I also recommend playing around with the lightweight Blizzard Champ Destroyers in the 140-150g range. They can be flippy but man do they fly far. According to physics, those lightweight discs should be the farthest fliers after all.

Thanks for the tips. I've never tried the Ballista. I'll check that one out. I have a champ Tern that is a great disc. It seems about as fast as the Shryke, honestly.

Another disc that flies super far for me is an old, slightly beat in 167g R-Pro Boss. It's not as reliable as those other discs, but when you hit a good line with it, it goes really far.

When I'm not throwing hyzer flips, I'm a big fan of the G* Corvette as well. Those are beefier, but very fast. I also recommend playing around with the lightweight Blizzard Champ Destroyers in the 140-150g range. They can be flippy but man do they fly far. According to physics, those lightweight discs should be the farthest fliers after all.

Man those are some FAST discs you are throwing around. Are you finding that you are accurate with discs that fast? I've been trying to build up distance throwing dx plastic 7 speed and under - eagles, beat banshees, and a I just picked up super beat dx tbird at play it again sports and promptly had my longest drive with it gliding out to 340ish. Most of the advice I've read on here is to perfect your form throwing slower discs before moving up to the discs you are throwing, but I guess there is nothing wrong with a gstar corvette if you are accurate with it

Man those are some FAST discs you are throwing around. Are you finding that you are accurate with discs that fast? I've been trying to build up distance throwing dx plastic 7 speed and under - eagles, beat banshees, and a I just picked up super beat dx tbird at play it again sports and promptly had my longest drive with it gliding out to 340ish. Most of the advice I've read on here is to perfect your form throwing slower discs before moving up to the discs you are throwing, but I guess there is nothing wrong with a gstar corvette if you are accurate with it

I hear what you are saying. I actually started hyzer flipping putters and mids. Playing putter rounds is also kind of fun. But, I found my greatest distance gains when I actually practiced with those high speed, understable drivers. If I just practice with slower discs, I can't quite get the angles right on the faster discs, nor do I actually end up throwing at full speed due to the ease at which you can turn over slower discs accidentally.

Plus, I actually find that my Shryke is way more predictable throwing straight golf distance lines than, say, my Roc3 or a Leopard. The slower discs are actually quite a bit touchier in my experience. Teebirds are really predictable, but they also predictably just don't go as far. It's really only the crazy overstable drivers that you probably want to avoid unless you have a cannon of an arm and/or enjoy throwing anhyzer flex lines.

That Jarvis 360 slow mo... so good. I might just pick up 75-100 on my 360 with a few things I just saw... dude. Thanks.

Sidewinder you post pure gold. All the damn time. The McBeth swim move thread gave me back a ton of power I thought I'd lost getting old.

That Jarvis 360 slow mo... so good. I might just pick up 75-100 on my 360 with a few things I just saw... dude. Thanks.

Sidewinder you post pure gold. All the damn time. The McBeth swim move thread gave me back a ton of power I thought I'd lost getting old.
Thanks Woj! Your Severe Wing Down Hyzer vid also helped me. :thmbup:

Thanks Woj! Your Severe Wing Down Hyzer vid also helped me. :thmbup:
Glad I could be helpful to someone who has such a strong understanding of the throw.

I need to make some updated stuff. I might finally do it this year, I got started tooling around with video editing software early in the Corona shutdown.

When I combined this with learning how to pivot on my heel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleUjYKwf0g

I think you meant to put another video here? That is the same loop ghost video you had for the key weight shift. Sorta curious what video helped with the rotate on the heel as I need to start doing that before I hurt my knee, can't seem to undo rotating on my toes no matter what I do.

Of course, having trouble with the weight shift too, lol.

I think you meant to put another video here? That is the same loop ghost video you had for the key weight shift. Sorta curious what video helped with the rotate on the heel as I need to start doing that before I hurt my knee, can't seem to undo rotating on my toes no matter what I do.

Oops, yeah, I meant to link to this video of Eagle showing how he pivots on his heel: https://youtu.be/m4_axe8Sivk

Just stand balanced on front leg and lift your toes slightly inside shoe and your swing should cause/pull your foot to pivot on heel as it passes over the foot. After you do that go to two legs and shift from behind to front leg.

I'd have to put Shrykes in my top 3 current longest molds. Those things will surprise you. Star and G* Shrykes are stunningly long. They're able to absorb a pretty big rip without totally flipping all over the place. I've gone over 450' lots and lots of times with Shrykes of all plastics.

Another mold you should take a hard look at is the Ballista. Fairly similar to a Shryke, but a speed faster. They're wild, but super long.

Oh, and don't go to sleep on the Tern. Despite being only speed 12 they'll hang with anything out there. I've had some of the longest rips of my life with Terns.

I've been on a Katana kick lately too. Those things are unmatched in terms of sheer distance potential. Katanas tend to be a hair beefier than Shrykes. They flip over, but have enough late fade to always come back late. You might also take a look at the Daedalus. IMO it isn't as good as the Katana or Shryke, but they're worthy of mention.

Thanks for letting me know about the Ballista! I just threw one for the first time today and it absolutely bombs. Now I just have to deal with the fact that my longest disc is now this ugly neon pink Ballista (thanks Amazon).

Latest posts