• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD1QZiCO56T/?taken-by=loopghost

Not sure if that link will work. Been playing a few rounds with Jared Roan and we met up to do some fieldwork.

I was feeling pretty solid and threw a shot that Google Maps measured at ~460'. (that'll impress him! har har)

He threw a couple casual 500' shots that looked exactly like that instagram video... then he threw a Blizzard Boss 585'.

The weird thing is that his form doesn't change at all from 500 to 585'. He's been able to throw 600' on flat ground previously and I can't quite wrap my head around what I am seeing when he does it.

I've played with Eagle quite a bit - and it's clear when you watch him - that he's maxing out angles, and mashing the disc... Jared is more like Jarvis in that it's super compact and loaded and the disc pings out like an arrow. Plus he's not an "orangutan" like certain folks.

Anyways, he's off to tour with Tomas Rosenqvist (Prodiscus) and hopefully we get to see some solid golf from him on youtube channels that cover the big tournaments. When he gets back in town I want to sit down with him and do some serious slow-mo form breakdowns and get him to weigh in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD1QZiCO56T/?taken-by=loopghost

Not sure if that link will work. Been playing a few rounds with Jared Roan and we met up to do some fieldwork.

I was feeling pretty solid and threw a shot that Google Maps measured at ~460'. (that'll impress him! har har)

He threw a couple casual 500' shots that looked exactly like that instagram video... then he threw a Blizzard Boss 585'.

The weird thing is that his form doesn't change at all from 500 to 585'. He's been able to throw 600' on flat ground previously and I can't quite wrap my head around what I am seeing when he does it.

I've played with Eagle quite a bit - and it's clear when you watch him - that he's maxing out angles, and mashing the disc... Jared is more like Jarvis in that it's super compact and loaded and the disc pings out like an arrow. Plus he's not an "orangutan" like certain folks.

Anyways, he's off to tour with Tomas Rosenqvist (Prodiscus) and hopefully we get to see some solid golf from him on youtube channels that cover the big tournaments. When he gets back in town I want to sit down with him and do some serious slow-mo form breakdowns and get him to weigh in.

Sir don't you have like 322 other threads to post this info? ;)

I have been making preparations to record a 500 ft throw. In recording myself for the first time a couple days ago, I noticed some atrocious form errors that are being corrected.

I tore my oblique slightly as well, and that is 95% healed. Because my oblique hurt so bad I started throwing max forehand distance and began to tear my triceps! I won't tease you with the distance... I'll just post the video when the time comes. I want my form and understanding of the throws to be rock solid because I don't want anyone getting hurt as I did...and...

At this point I can't throw RHBH 500 feet without at least some tailwind assistance. Keep in mind I've been throwing less than 12 months. Wiggins said recently that any indoor distance record would be about 600 feet, so that gives you an idea of the importance of at least some wind assistance.

Today I threw 460 flat ground, no wind to help, on the heels of major form upgrades; so there's plenty of room to improve further. I can throw 500 with at least some tailwind, but in pushing myself to do it with no wind, I'm gaining a deep technical understanding of throwing. It's extraordinarily difficult, but hardly impossible.
I still lift, throw, or run everyday, i.e. I'm working very hard to make it happen.

I recently played in a tournament with a young pro/advanced player who totally opened my eyes to proper disc height on max distance drives. I'm now incorporating this into my routine as well. Ultimately, we want to be able to throw far consistently and accurately.

500 feet, no wind. Who doesn't like a challenge?

You likey?:popcorn:

congrats on throwing 480'.

If you're looking to measure your form against top big arm throwers - or for that matter an MPO player that can throw 480' on golf lines, you have some major differences.

What I mean by golf lines, is being able to reproduce accurate shots around/under obstacles, staying within a relatively tight side to side fairway. The basis for golf distance is balance and the best way to have distance AND control is to generate your power with an x-step that engages the hips, braces the weight and ends in a balanced pose.

will2.gif.gif

Right now, you're using almost 100% forward momentum - not engaging the hips and catapulting past the brace. I'm not trying to be rude... in fact, it's literally the EXACT issue that I came to this forum with myself. I could throw relatively far with my hipless form, but struggled with consistency and I had injuries popping up regularly.

Feel free to take this as you wish - I know that I felt a pang of frustration when people told me that my form had big issues, because I thought, "the proof is in the pudding! I'm throwing the disc x distance!" The reality is that if you want to play disc golf for a long time, throw accurately and consistently - using the form that the top MPO players use is the way to go.

Good luck.

Thx for sharing the vid! I would like to see a video with better lighting. Looks like you threw a high anny flex shot? If so I would like to see a lower typical disc golf line and see how your distance is. But congrats on the near 500ft throw! Others have boasted and not delivered a video, so thanks for following through. Look forward to seeing more!

Thank you for the reply, I can use all the help I can get.

If you're looking to measure your form against top big arm throwers - or for that matter an MPO player that can throw 480' on golf lines, you have some major differences.

I wasn't specifically looking to do this... I haven't thrown long enough to be an MPO caliber player, obviously. Two days ago I finally started to have a consistent disc angle while moving around the disc, because I finally recorded myself. Yes, the brace comes and goes as well.

I'm not here to be a guru, I was merely supporting my claim to have broken the 500 foot barrier, and to inspire others to keep at it. Thank you to those, yourself included, who trusted me.

Right now, you're using almost 100% forward momentum - not engaging the hips and catapulting past the brace. I'm not trying to be rude... in fact, it's literally the EXACT issue that I came to this forum with myself. I could throw relatively far with my hipless form, but struggled with consistency and I had injuries popping up regularly.

On the throw I posted, to my perception and feeling, there was a very fast and violent hip twist/engagement. I remember because I finally let myself do it... I told myself, "Your oblique is fine, go for it." It's there.

My brace on the throw is nothing to write home about, for sure, but as far as forward momentum on max throws, this toss by the expert David Wiggins, does show above average forward momentum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fQ2qJX1A9g

Thx for sharing the vid! I would like to see a video with better lighting. Looks like you threw a high anny flex shot? If so I would like to see a lower typical disc golf line and see how your distance is. But congrats on the near 500ft throw! Others have boasted and not delivered a video, so thanks for following through. Look forward to seeing more!

I think Nintendo had better graphics :D Yep, high anny flex...used a stable Echostar Boss, not really beefy off the shelf, quite nice for my level of development.

As far as lower golf lines, I'm still struggling to dial them up when I need them. The power of the posted throw does translate to a 400 ft 6ft high laser beam. Will it take a stack of discs (or three) to demonstrate? Yes it will!

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

On the throw I posted, to my perception and feeling, there was a very fast and violent hip twist/engagement. I remember because I finally let myself do it... I told myself, "Your oblique is fine, go for it." It's there.

My brace on the throw is nothing to write home about, for sure, but as far as forward momentum on max throws, this toss by the expert David Wiggins, does show above average forward momentum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fQ2qJX1A9g
Congrats on hitting the miracle angle. What you are describing sounds like jamming your hips and the video shows you go over the top and don't clear the front hip back.

Wiggins is being pulled straight through his brace by his recoil momentum after his arm stops in the finish. You are spiraling around(spinning out) before your arm stops in the finish. Watch how Wiggins rear knee stays behind the front leg/counters the throwing arm all the way until his arm stops and then the rear knee comes straight through next to the front knee. Your rear knee starts round housing around the front knee way before your arm come around in the finish, so you are tipping over and around and not centering your axis of rotation/countering the arm.

Hershyzer Rear Leg Counter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m30s

Watch Wiggins feet tangle while upright in the finish:

You acted like this towards the one and only Paul McBeth that time over forehands, talking petulantly and what have you, so really I'm flattered!

You saw the posts that make it clear I'm pretty new at this, that my form is in flux, that I'm actively seeking to improve? The video I posted wasn't an exhibition in form, it was evidence that I did what I set out to do...break the 500 foot barrier on level ground. Miracle angles notwithstanding, that ship(disc) has sailed.